• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New HGH study

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting.

The study volunteers who took growth hormone lost body fat and gained lean body mass, but it was mostly from water retention, not from bulking up muscle, the researchers reported in Tuesday's issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.

Side effects included swelling and joint pain.

Any sprinters who have lately had trouble losing weight or lost weight rapidly, or encountered problems with/recovered from swelling or joint pains? :D

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
There is an old GT rider who seems to have belly swelling problems. It sort of varies from week to week.

So let's get this straight:

1. hGH clearly and convincingly can improve the physical ability to perform work.

2. There is no (practical or effective) test for the stuff (and there likely won't be anytime soon).

3. Many fans of sport react with a moral outrage and resentment, best reserved for true human tragedy and evil, when they realize that hGH is widely and frequently used by sportsman.

gasp...

Fred Thistle

BANNED
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
Many fans of sport react with a moral outrage and resentment, best reserved for true human tragedy and evil, when they realize that hGH is widely and frequently used by sportsman.

what sheltered lives we lead

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but I believe one really big difference between HGH and most other PEDs is that it is REALLY expensive. I'm not sure how much one would need to take to maintain their performance levels, but I imagine not very many pros could afford it as a routine.

It's generally toted as the wonder drug or fountain of youth drug.

Colm.Murphy said:

1. hGH clearly and convincingly can improve the physical ability to perform work.

2. There is no (practical or effective) test for the stuff (and there likely won't be anytime soon).

3. Many fans of sport react with a moral outrage and resentment, best reserved for true human tragedy and evil, when they realize that hGH is widely and frequently used by sportsman.

gasp...

I hear you, bro.

1. Cheating on your wife or girlfriend clearly and convincingly feels good.

2. There is no test for cheating (and there likely won't be anytime soon).

3. For some reason women react with moral outrage and resentment best reserved for true human tragedy and evil when they realize their man is a horndog.

I just don't understand it.

Colm.Murphy said:

gasp...

hmmm i think you'll find that there is an test on the way very very soon. In the final clinical trials stage now.

[edited by mod]

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
How about the effects on recovery? be it from injury or hard training/racing.
I always thought that was a huge motivation for using HGH.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
there was always anecdotal evidence that testo with a chaser of hgh was the way to go. Individually, not so much. When combined, supercharged in synergy.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The study used smaller doses over a short time period than what is typically used by doping athletes.
The article doesn't say how many IU's per day the dose was. Considering that the adverse side effects included joint pain and water retention, I could hazard a guess that the dose was more than what any endurance athlete would use.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the HGH test.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
OJ.... said:
The article doesn't say how many IU's per day the dose was. Considering that the adverse side effects included joint pain and water retention, I could hazard a guess that the dose was more than what any endurance athlete would use.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the HGH test.
doubt it, not enough to make your head and jaw grow legs and require braces on your teeth.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm more than a bit sceptical to the relevance of this study to pro cycling. The subjects of the study were recreational athletes, and the Wingate test employed is something like 3-5mins warmup, 1-2 minutes recovery and then 30 secs of all-out effort. Hardly anything like the sprint at the end of a 200km stage. Because of the short duration of the Wingate test I believe this study deals more with the amount of ATP present in muscle tissue, rather than the ability to re-synthesize ADP and phosphocreatine into ATP, an engine needed throughout and at the end of a long stage. In addition, a 4% increase in a small group of only 15 recreational athletes on HGH, certainly doesn't translate into the "winning margin of 0,4 secs in a 10 second dash for the line" that the article wants us to envision.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hektoren said:
I'm more than a bit sceptical to the relevance of this study to pro cycling. The subjects of the study were recreational athletes, and the Wingate test employed is something like 3-5mins warmup, 1-2 minutes recovery and then 30 secs of all-out effort. Hardly anything like the sprint at the end of a 200km stage. Because of the short duration of the Wingate test I believe this study deals more with the amount of ATP present in muscle tissue, rather than the ability to re-synthesize ADP and phosphocreatine into ATP, an engine needed throughout and at the end of a long stage. In addition, a 4% increase in a small group of only 15 recreational athletes on HGH, certainly doesn't translate into the "winning margin of 0,4 secs in a 10 second dash for the line" that the article wants us to envision.

The study is available at http://www.annals.org/content/152/9/568.full.pdf+html

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i think its even more effective on endurance athletes most of there blood/hormone profiles are severely depleted late in the racing season. in this case hgh/testosterone would be even more effective than it would on well rested average humans.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
toby@RIDECyclingReview said:
hmmm i think you'll find that there is an test on the way very very soon. In the final clinical trials stage now.

[edited by mod]

With the second majority of my associates in the medical/clinical field, people in the know, that is not what I am told.

If you have other info, please share.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I hear you, bro.

1. Cheating on your wife or girlfriend clearly and convincingly feels good.

2. There is no test for cheating (and there likely won't be anytime soon).

3. For some reason women react with moral outrage and resentment best reserved for true human tragedy and evil when they realize their man is a horndog.

I just don't understand it.

So, in your comparison, cycling is which, your mistress or your wife? or both?

Or, are cycling fans the "women" and the racers the "significant others"?

Then, by extension, are you some racers' b-i-t-c-h?

This would certainly explain quite a bit.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
i think its even more effective on endurance athletes most of there blood/hormone profiles are severely depleted late in the racing season. in this case hgh/testosterone would be even more effective than it would on well rested average humans.

...and older atheletes. One of the offshoots of our local banned rider controversy was the in-house scrutiny among all teams regarding PED use. The consensus locally is there are many mature riders getting testosterone and HGH prescribed by their doctors. They can afford it and the doctor's justifications seem to ring true. While the few suspicious candidates have shown unexplained increase in performance; they are still not winners nor likely to be.
You take that fine-tuned and easily available usage to the elite level and it is probably considered an equalizer, morally.

TRENDING THREADS