• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Lance positives in 2004 and 2005

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Those may not be the correct years. French TV reported new positives but they may be from earlier.

If it was reported as plural then there would be at least one additional one on top of the 2001 tour of Switzerland then?

The 1999 positive for Corticosteroids would surely not be new.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Briant_Gumble said:
If it was reported as plural then there would be at least one additional one on top of the 2001 tour of Switzerland then?

The 1999 positive for Corticosteroids would surely not be new.

I think these may be earlier. I have heard in the past of 2002. The French report was vague on the years

Race Radio said:
Those may not be the correct years. French TV reported new positives but they may be from earlier.

There was no mention of years at all. They reported that USADA has retested samples and they have positives. It seems to imply they are new positives but I'm not 100% sure thats the intent. It does confirm the list of riders who testified, all the ones mention in the clinic including Kristen Armstrong.

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
There was no mention of years at all. They reported that USADA has retested samples and they have positives. It seems to imply they are new positives but I'm not 100% sure thats the intent. It does confirm the list of riders who testified, all the ones mention in the clinic including Kristen Armstrong.

Cool, are you a French speaker? Was Sheryl on the list?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:

http://sport.francetv.fr/stade2/?page=reportage&id_article=183355

Who wants to do some translating?

I have heard that they mention 2 positives tests and also that ALL samples tested positive. Which is correct?

You are correct on the years, they were my assumption. I was reading Tyler's book at the time and he mentioned that riders began to talk about CERA in 2003. I then heard that a report was coming out that USADA retested samples with new tests and found positives and I assumed it was CERA in 04/05. Could also be the 2002 positive that has long been rumored to have been covered up

Briant_Gumble said:
Cool, are you a French speaker? Was Sheryl on the list?

I can understand french, but I don't know for sure what they were saying about the positives. I didn't understand if they were new or old. The other problem is news will report stuff as new if its new to them, I don't understand it well enough to know the nuance. Sheryl was on the list.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JRTinMA said:
I can understand french, but I don't know for sure what they were saying about the positives. I didn't understand if they were new or old. The other problem is news will report stuff as new if its new to them, I don't understand it well enough to know the nuance. Sheryl was on the list.

Do you have a link to the one you watched? That F2 link doesn't seem to work in the US.

Race Radio said:
Do you have a link to the one you watched? That F2 link doesn't seem to work in the US.

I had a live feed link, it was DM'ed to me on twitter. I was told to watch at 3pm EST so I clicked it to see what it was and it was in process. The link redirects now to France 2. I'm watching the page, I can't imagine they wont link it.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
zlev11 said:
CERA in 2003? man...

I do not know if it existed but Tyler mentions that people were talking about it. He also talks about how in 2003 he had heard riders talking about products that were coming out artificial hemoglobin and other experimental products. He implied that Armstrong had access to special drugs and methods but did not mention any evidence of it.

I understand these samples are USADA samples that were retested. This would limit them to 2004-2005 as prior to that the testing would be done by the UCI. I understand the UCI would not give USADA any of Armstrong's samples. They even destroyed his Biopassport samples

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
This helps explains FDA and Interpol interest, though. CERA was not approved in the the EU until 07 and the US until 08. Prior to approval there are strict rules governing chain of custody of clinical use samples. If he had it that early, then there is illegal activity far beyond doping going on.

Race Radio said:
I do not know if it existed but Tyler mentions that people were talking about it. He also talks about how in 2003 he had heard riders talking about products that were coming out artificial hemoglobin and other experimental products. He implied that Armstrong had access to special drugs and methods but did not mention any evidence of it.

I understand these samples are USADA samples that were retested. This would limit them to 2004-2005 as prior to that the testing would be done by the UCI. I understand the UCI would not give USADA any of Armstrong's samples. They even destroyed his Biopassport samples

He found it tough in 2003 though. That's one of the years I was there on the roadside (as a misled fanboy)

He looked haggard and sunken eyed on the Col de Ramaz which was the first major climb.

Some experimental protocol?

Race Radio said:

man, i can't wait to read this book.

if those '04-'05 samples are positive for CERA then that is a big, big deal.

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Hoffman-La Roche applied to the European Medicines Agency in 2006 to put Cera into the market, so 2003 seems a bit early. It would surely be in an early stated of development. Maybe Hamilton uses "Cera" as a synonym for a number of next-generation Epo derivates?

CERA was in Phase I and II clinical trials in 2003. It would have been very hard to get, but if anyone could do it it would have been Armstrong with his winning personality and strong connections throughout the medical community. The upside would have been tremendous -- undetectable EPO that no other rider could get his hands on.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Hoffman-La Roche applied to the European Medicines Agency in 2006 to put Cera into the market, so 2003 seems a bit early. It would surely be in an early stated of development. Maybe Hamilton uses "Cera" as a synonym for a number of next-generation Epo derivates?

At the point of this filing there were already multiple years of clinical results available, so earlier is not impossible, I would think. :eek:

edit: I looked it up and as of July 17th 2006 first phase III results were presented publicly. This means that clinical research had been ongoing for years. But also that one has to known an insider to have access to cera