• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New London Olympic Velodrome

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Construction is currently underway.
Has a completion date been announced yet?
What will be the big pre-olympic event --2011 worlds championship or a world cup maybe?

The 2011 test events are likely to be a World Cup (either prior to 2011 World Championships or end of 2011) and the British Nationals. In 2012 there may also be a World Cup event (If first held prior to 2011 Worlds) or potentially the European Championships.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:
The 2011 test events are likely to be a World Cup (either prior to 2011 World Championships or end of 2011) and the British Nationals. In 2012 there may also be a World Cup event (If first held prior to 2011 Worlds) or potentially the European Championships.

It won't be a 2011 World cup as these events are already known. it'll be a 2011/12 season world cup.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's ready!

I realize this article is already a week old but this is my favorite pic by far!

dsc00891_600.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2012-olympics-velodrome-unveiled-in-london

It’s the first Olympic venue to be completed.

Brailsford believes that the track itself is of the highest possible standard and that in the correct circumstances, London 2012 could well see a number of records fall.

So, who's going?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LugHugger said:
The ticket ballot opens in two weeks. :D

HA! :)

Actually, what I really meant was:
Is anyone going to check it out for themselves? Besides the above video footage, is it open to the public before The Games?

Whether just for viewing or actually "sampling" the track, I'd love to hear any first-hand accounts. At the very end of that fist video I linked to, they give an overview of the whole facility with its surroundings—BMX, MTB and Road course. NICE!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
HA! :)

Actually, what I really meant was:
Is anyone going to check it out for themselves? Besides the above video footage, is it open to the public before The Games?

Whether just for viewing or actually "sampling" the track, I'd love to hear any first-hand accounts. At the very end of that fist video I linked to, they give an overview of the whole facility with its surroundings—BMX, MTB and Road course. NICE!

LOL :D I haven't heard that the track will be open for general use prior to the Games. I'm sure that there'll be at least one test event, maybe a World Cup 2011/2012? Perhaps they will stage a 'Revolution on Tour' event. Who knows?

The test event is a World Cup Classics event in January 2012. There are a number of ideas to continue usage of the velodrome after the Olympic Games but this will be at the mercy of LOCOG as it will be their decision for events that take place at the velodrome.

One idea that I have heard about is (depending on the public desire) to hold a 6-day at the velodrome to ensure a big event is held there every year.

TRENDING THREADS