• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New NBC sports network for 2012?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cool new commercial with Christian Vande Velde.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwjucBb04Y&feature=youtu.be

New 24-hour sports network in the works as well.

I'm assuming that since they're featuring a cyclist in at least one of their ads that they're also planning on actually covering races?

But is this the end of Universal Sports?

Universal has been making pleas online for some time now for people to call their cable provided in order to avoid losing the channel come January 2012. Now this "new" network shows itself?

I'm lost on the power-play/politics at work here though. Universal has always had an NBC affiliation. Then NBC acquires and absorbs Versus, and now this? :confused:

Alpe, d'Huez, isn't this your realm?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Great commercial!! Christian is one of my fav's so I may be biased! I'm hoping that they keep Gogo and Schlaeger but I have a feeling that Phil and Paul's huge following will trump that possibility. :( Please, please, please give Bob Roll the heave-ho!

La Pandera said:
Great commercial!! Christian is one of my fav's so I may be biased! I'm hoping that they keep Gogo and Schlaeger but I have a feeling that Phil and Paul's huge following will trump that possibility. :( Please, please, please give Bob Roll the heave-ho!

Or just give Eurosport a few quid for their feed with Harmon and Kelly. Although I suspect that Sean's distinctive tones might throw a few people for a while.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Granville57 said:
............ Universal has always had an NBC affiliation. Then NBC acquires and absorbs Versus, and now this? :confused:

My understanding is that Universal Sports and Versus was bought by Comcast from NBC.

I contacted comcast this week and requested they carry Universal Sports. They told me that their cable lineup for 2012 is still being worked on.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
NBC has owned Versus for a couple of months now. Starting on January 2nd they are changing the name of the channel, and possibly changing their coverage. Hopefully this means we get some real cycling coverage and less fishing. I'm pumped.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I thought NBC Universal bought Versus last year, before the Giro. In any case, if they're at all keyed in to the zeitgeist, and I believe they are, they'll be carrying lots of cycling.

Just so long as I can keep buying season passes for cycling on line from NBC-whatever, at a reasonable price, I'm good. Though i would like to see them carry all the important races, not just the usual suspects.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it, we've been duped before. Someone should send them a memo that a race ends when the winner steps off the podium not at the end of the hour or the beginning of Bass Masters...

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I am pretty sure what's going to happen on Jan 2nd is:
Versus becomes NBC Sports, a 24 hour ESPN style network
Universal Sports continues in its current capacity broadcasting mostly fringe(for the USA not my own opinion) sports, sort of copying the ESPN and ESPN 2 model. I do not think there will be much change to the current volume of cycling on TV here, meaning Giro, Vuelta, etc. on Universal and TDF and Cali on new NBC Sports but we can always hope.
I think in the long term you might see Comcast bid for TV rights to other sports(NCAA), they already own the NHL rights for USA broadcasts.

Granville57 said:
Apparently I missed the link to Sherwen's first tweet on the topic.

https://twitter.com/#!/PaulSherwen/status/146841140790964224

On Jan 2nd Versus becomes the NBC Sports network.

Yay! More bull riding than ever if they can fit more in between showings of Bloodsport.

I always thought they passed up the opportunity to get Pabst Blue Ribbon to advertise during Pro Bull Riding events. "PBR sponsors the PBR. Only on OLN...I mean Versus...I mean NBC Sports."

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So did anyone hear anything more about what kind of cycling coverage we are going to get with NBC Sports Network? Its after new years, werent they supposed to announce their schedule for 2012?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As another poster said previously, Universal Sports has been making a fuss on Facebook and on the station itself lately about the possibility of people losing them due to cable shake-ups. We see US on an antenna, so no worries there, yet.

Schlanger was calling a cross-country ski race the other day. Hard to imagine a more boring sport to watch but it was nice to close my eyes and hear his voice, imagining it is May already and the Giro is on...

May 12, 2011
Visit site
CatsNK said:
As another poster said previously, Universal Sports has been making a fuss on Facebook and on the station itself lately about the possibility of people losing them due to cable shake-ups. We see US on an antenna, so no worries there, yet.

Schlanger was calling a cross-country ski race the other day. Hard to imagine a more boring sport to watch but it was nice to close my eyes and hear his voice, imagining it is May already and the Giro is on...

Tyre Byter said:
UniversalSports antenna signal ceased in our market (SoCal) on
Dec 31. You've still got it in NY?

There is NO Over the Air broadcast of US anywhere so the answer is no. We just have to hope that left hand (COMCAST) and right hand (Universal Sports 51% owned by COMCAST) can make an agreement.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Aleajactaest said:
There is NO Over the Air broadcast of US anywhere so the answer is no. We just have to hope that left hand (COMCAST) and right hand (Universal Sports 51% owned by COMCAST) can make an agreement.

That's what has me puzzled. I have Comcast and figured I was immune but a couple days ago when I checked the schedule it was "off-air." I think it's safe to say the cable industry is about as craven as they come.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I will check as soon as I get home. I turn the TV on about once/week at this time a year, but we were watching xc skiing over the weekend. Perhaps it was 12/31??

And it's via antenna, I guess that's "over the air". But I'll check for US tonight and report back.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Maxiton said:
Yeah, I thought NBC Universal bought Versus last year, before the Giro. In any case, if they're at all keyed in to the zeitgeist, and I believe they are, they'll be carrying lots of cycling.

Just so long as I can keep buying season passes for cycling on line from NBC-whatever, at a reasonable price, I'm good. Though i would like to see them carry all the important races, not just the usual suspects.

Wow, there is a lot of nonsense banging around this thread! But I agree with you. There were already signs of some affiliation between Universal and Versus at the TdF last year, when GoGo made several appearances on screen during the Versus telecasts of the TdF. Meanwhile at last check NBC has finally, totally absorbed versus and now it is NBC Sports- but it is still carrying fishing, hunting and more fishing. Along with birdwatching. The situation sucks right now. But I am still able to watch World Cup ski racing for a reasonable subscription fee, so I'm not pulling my hair out......yet. Let's see what happens to our cycling events though. That is the big question, which has yet to be answered. BTW does this give us all any hint at just how out of our hands/ out of control most of the things we see on TV are?? That TV manipulates just what we see of our political world, and that many Americans rely solely on TV for their understanding on how our democracy works, is absolutely shameful.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
BTW, ADMINISTRATORS What is this commercial thing that is appearing in this thread???? is this on all of the threads??? And is it something else we have to visually deal with, as we read the posts in this forum?:mad:
Update, found on all threads. Found a new way to generate revenue?? If you don't mind me saying so, this method SUCKS. It's inappropriate, and out of place.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
nowhereman said:
BTW, ADMINISTRATORS What is this commercial thing that is appearing in this thread???? is this on all of the threads??? And is it something else we have to visually deal with, as we read the posts in this forum?:mad:
Update, found on all threads. Found a new way to generate revenue?? If you don't mind me saying so, this method SUCKS. It's inappropriate, and out of place.

Adblock is your friend. Try it.

Universal Sports in no longer available OTA (via antenna) or on Comcast cable as of 1/1/12. I had both setups, now I have nada.

Meanwhile verus is still versus on Comcast. I think it changes to NBC Sportsnetwork on 1/12/12. And yes there is a fishing show on right now ROTFL!

All is guesswork right now, all I can say is if I have to
switch to DirectTV to get the Giro/Vuleta ++ I will.

But it should be easier than this since Comcast owns a share in both channels? They just keep telling me they are in negotiations'. With who? Themselves??? :confused:

What a Farce :(

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I am weeping!!! No US anymore via the antenna. We are bereft.

Virtually the only channel we watch, ripped out from under us.

I never thought I'd get so upset about a tv channel, but here I am.

TRENDING THREADS