• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

new pedal not spinning freely

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought a new set of i-clic racer pedals over the net (new) and one spins completely freely and the other has one small spot where it seems to catch and doesn't spin freely. I only noticed when spinning them by hand and would not notice when pedaling except if I unclipped and the pedal didn't return to the normal position.

Has anyone had this before, and is it something that will loosen itself or should I be looking at returning the pedals?

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
MattAUS said:
I bought a new set of i-clic racer pedals over the net (new) and one spins completely freely and the other has one small spot where it seems to catch and doesn't spin freely. I only noticed when spinning them by hand and would not notice when pedaling except if I unclipped and the pedal didn't return to the normal position.

Has anyone had this before, and is it something that will loosen itself or should I be looking at returning the pedals?

I had the same problem with a set of Time RXS Carbons I bought about 5 years ago. A service rep told me the bearings would loosen up within a short time, but if they didn't they would replace the set. After a few weeks of regular use, everything spun well, and it's been fine ever since. I suggest contacting the company just to be sure, though.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
MattAUS said:
Thanks guys,

Cheers, and I hope it works out. I've heard of similar early "stubbornness" with Chris King hubs and the like, so maybe someone else can confirm this kind of thing. Now that I think about it, I believe Mr. Zinn weighed in on it a few years back; I'll have to check that out. If I find anything else of use, I'll certainly let you know.

All the best

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Its inconvenient but send it back now. It will be a lot more inconvenient if the axel snaps and you take a fall.
Every square inch of skin is worth $1000.and your legs wont spin even for a while.

If its new it has to be perfect no excuses I have had too many pedals snap on me.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
Its inconvenient but send it back now. It will be a lot more inconvenient if the axel snaps and you take a fall.
Every square inch of skin is worth $1000.and your legs wont spin even for a while.

If its new it has to be perfect no excuses I have had too many pedals snap on me.

really? about how many?

erader

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
erader said:
really? about how many?

I have has 3 pedals snap and one crank over a period of 25 years always make sure they have chromealloy axel stuff Titanium and other light weight stuff.

Pedal snap off can cause a big injury depending on how you fall : usualy heavy and at slow pace like starting off in a TT or humping a big gear up hill.

last time i was just sitting in the road wondering what had happened then I noted the peddal stuck on my shoe . only injury was pride Lucky.

no particular peddal system I have tried them all.
The point I an making is if peddals are rough in bearings it may have a bent or damaged axel or something hidden just waiting to catch you un prepared .
Get rid of them

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
erader said:
really? about how many?

I have has 3 pedals snap and one crank over a period of 25 years always make sure they have chromealloy axel stuff Titanium and other light weight stuff.

Pedal snap off can cause a big injury depending on how you fall : usualy heavy and at slow pace like starting off in a TT or humping a big gear up hill.

last time i was just sitting in the road wondering what had happened then I noted the peddal stuck on my shoe . only injury was pride Lucky.

no particular peddal system I have tried them all.
The point I an making is if peddals are rough in bearings it may have a bent or damaged axel or something hidden just waiting to catch you un prepared .
Get rid of them

Wow. What kind of drilled-out weight-weenie pedals were they anyway? Even when MTB'ers "break" pedals or cranks they usually in reality only bend the pedal axle or damage the crank-arm/bb axle interface so the crank flops around, and they do this by smacking into immovable objects. I have a hard time believing anyone snaps a pedal axle just with their leg power.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
MattAUS said:

This is normal for sealed catridges - they take a while to spin freely. Not sure if that applies to your Times

TRENDING THREADS