• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New policy regarding sockpuppet accusations

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
In the past public sockpuppet accusations have been made with little to no action taken. Despite numerous moderators requests to report sockpuppet in private, it has not happened.

Public sockpuppet accusations add nothing to a conversation. They simply derail it and make the situation worse for everyone.

From now on the moderators will be employing a new policy regarding such accusations. If a poster makes an accusations, a warning will be given to that poster. If the poster continues after the first warning they will face a 24 hour ban.

As with everything, context is king and there will be times where it is not appropriate to issue a ban. Additionally if you believe a mistake has been made, please PM or email a moderator to explain.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
but I think a sockpuppet generally has a more subtext, or more of a subtext, the person must be using the account concurrently to assume a new identity, two post with two different identities at once.

on other fora, when I have been banned, a bit like the poster arbiter, who then went thru mebbe a dozen iterations of which banproccyling may have been his most famous, well, he might be an exception, he was pretty obvious he was not the genuine sockpuppet, cos his accounts were neutralised and no longer valid, he was not merely on a ban, and using it to circumnavigate the ban... as I was about to say, I have done other accounts on other fora when I got banned, but I was posting with the same personality, in the same subject threads, it was obvious i was the currently banned blackcat <thirdperson>.

I have never used a "sockpuppet" with this definition.

Offhand, I cannot remember posting under two different handles here when I was banned as blackcat, BUT, I may well have, the short time memory is a problem at the moment, I have had prolly half a dozen bans here, so it would not surprise me if ~5 or 6 years ago, I did form another account, which the mods promptly shut down. There mebbe some details behind the member wall for the moderators who can clarify any ambiguity. It does not matter either way, I will plead guilty to knew accounts when I feel I have been incorrectly banned, and to be truthful, there is not a time when I feel I have been correctly banned your honour, so, there is a material chance, an even chance that I did another account to circumvent the prevention on posting.

But a second account to create a new identity to post concurrently with another handle, in the same threads? nope. I have not done that definition of a sockpuppet.

I think his debut was as arbiter...

but you could usually work out the new members' handles, because he then had a schema for his handle, usually went "three terms, two nouns, one verb, about 5 syllables in all"... and except for his original arbiter, you could put the new member handles thru an algorithm and it was pretty easy to work out arbiter's new handle, without even seeing the ISP, even if he never used a proxy.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Getting a bit tired of those sockpuppets, everyone knows who they are and nothing cant be done about them. The ignore function doesnt work as well as you still see when they are quoted.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
i for one, dont notice the sockpuppets, unless it is one of arbiter/BPC iterations, but I thought he left for good a few years ago... DearWiggo told me i was responding to an account that was someone's sockpuppet, and a confected handle. It was news to me. I only have a few threads I venture to, and it is a very solipsistic enterprise my forum use

I think there should be a thread where incorrect sockpuppet accusations are announced and the individual accused is 'cleared'. I repeatedly am accused of being Martin. Even if the accuser is punished according to the policy, people apparently still believe the accusation. Guilty until proven innocent....

Thanks, Mark. I think the policy has been a good deterrent. I don't think a ban is necessary for 42x16ss by any means. I have had virtually no interaction with him on the boards and his first engagement with me is a post that serves only to call me out as Martin? Did Martin spend half his post history in the US politics thread? I just want my named cleared.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Thanks, Mark. I think the policy has been a good deterrent. I don't think a ban is necessary for 42x16ss by any means. I have had virtually no interaction with him on the boards and his first engagement with me is a post that serves only to call me out as Martin? Did Martin spend half his post history in the US politics thread? I just want my named cleared.

Welcome to the club DJP - I endured months of this accusation from more than one poster and then I was accused of the hacking of eBandits account. Something that never had anyone banned (before the new rule).

Re:

djpbaltimore said:

Why would it matter with regards to the US politics thread? What are you trying to suggest?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
A similar policy regarding trolling accusations would be much appreciated. Accusations of trolling are often used to shut down a legitimate debate.

For example, ScottSoCal accused me of trolling in the "US Politics" thread for defending an argument which was explicitly supported by no fewer than four current SCOTUS justices (Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer and Stevens).

Also, several forum members have accused me of trolling in the "Upper-body training for cyclists" thread simply for defending a non-mainstream approach to pro cyclist training (always respectfully and with links to reliable sources).

KAT

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hello i 'm Nicola Natile from Castellana Grotte Italy , i 'm a huge fan of Nairo Quintana , and i don't like Chris Froome , i create a profile on this forum because i like cycling a lot IN ITALY we have a strong passion for cycling . MY profile was Nairoman and was perma banned because i made errors that i will not repeat , please don't consider me a sockepuppet i apologize me and i don't made mistakes in the future , please i 'm a great fan , i will respect strictly the rules , but give me a possibility , many thanks

Re:

KAT said:
Hello i 'm Nicola Natile from Castellana Grotte Italy , i 'm a huge fan of Nairo Quintana , and i don't like Chris Froome , i create a profile on this forum because i like cycling a lot IN ITALY we have a strong passion for cycling . MY profile was Nairoman and was perma banned because i made errors that i will not repeat , please don't consider me a sockepuppet i apologize me and i don't made mistakes in the future , please i 'm a great fan , i will respect strictly the rules , but give me a possibility , many thanks
Sorry, we don't allow the return of sockpuppets or previously perma banned members.

We expect people to read the forum rules before they post here and abide by them at all times, which you did neither of.

Our policy is strict for a reason, unfortunately you'll have to find another cycling forum to post comments.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS