• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New to cross

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have done a search but it does not seem to have been of any help.

I'm new to cyclocross and on my 5th race. I've not done any other muddy cycling before and am soo glad u've found a cross specific forum.

I started off on single speed and that wasn't too bad once I went aggressive on making the gear smaller. I just wanted to try it out.

I bought a Ridley Crossbow from a friend the other day but although it's a better option, I seem to be languishing close to the bottom of the pile. I'm hacked off now as I came plub last on Sunday and I have NEVER done this before in any discipline. I'm not one to back away if at 1st I don't succeed though so..

I am fearless and fast on the flat keeping up with the leaders after they pass me. Downhills are ok until I crashed spectacularly on the last lap but ran the bike the last miler to finish. The uphills I just can't do. Here in wales we have lots of rain and steep uphills. I go backwards. I suffer so badly but can't work out why. dismounting is ok but remounting's a problem getting into cleats. I loose massive ammounts of time getting back in at slow speed.

I can ride trial 8 1/2hrs no probs. Is it a common thing to happen straight away. Is this just something that comes with practice. It was so demoralizing. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

Welcome to 'cross! Sorry for your troubles but stick with it; once you get the hang of it it's really fun and a great workout for sure.

As to your performance on the race course: have you identified where you're losing the most time? What are your strengths?

mgalex said:
Hi, I have done a search but it does not seem to have been of any help.

I'm new to cyclocross and on my 5th race. I've not done any other muddy cycling before and am soo glad u've found a cross specific forum.

I started off on single speed and that wasn't too bad once I went aggressive on making the gear smaller. I just wanted to try it out.

I bought a Ridley Crossbow from a friend the other day but although it's a better option, I seem to be languishing close to the bottom of the pile. I'm hacked off now as I came plub last on Sunday and I have NEVER done this before in any discipline. I'm not one to back away if at 1st I don't succeed though so..

I am fearless and fast on the flat keeping up with the leaders after they pass me. Downhills are ok until I crashed spectacularly on the last lap but ran the bike the last miler to finish. The uphills I just can't do. Here in wales we have lots of rain and steep uphills. I go backwards. I suffer so badly but can't work out why. dismounting is ok but remounting's a problem getting into cleats. I loose massive ammounts of time getting back in at slow speed.

I can ride trial 8 1/2hrs no probs. Is it a common thing to happen straight away. Is this just something that comes with practice. It was so demoralizing. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

If clipping back in with mud is the biggest problem you may want to try different pedals, I like Time the best, the older ones rather than the newer pointy ones. Look mtb pedals are good as well, SPDs aren't quite as good in the mud IMO.
Don't expect to always clip in first try, rather learn to get up to speed even if you haven't got both feet clipped in yet, also learn to move your foot around a little while pedaling until you do click into the pedal.
When faced with a hill that you are not going to be able to ride up it is better to dismount while you still have some momentum, than to try to ride until you come to a complete stop.
Above all try to determine exactly what is slowing you down and then practice that thing over and over.

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
James,

Oh, I do love it and am learning to love it more and more.

I’m definitely loosing the time going up hills. My calves really can’t handle it yet this I think will come with experience.

It’s been commented that I push hard and am fearless on the flat loose gravel and light mud. Dis-mounting and leaping over obstacles is another one. I seem to pick the flat route through turns but above all else pure bloody mindedness.

Hugh,

I am looking at changing the pedals from SPD’s. I have eliminated eggbeaters and was looking at Time and Look. The last race (which happened to be the course used for the Welsh Champs so it was tough anyway) I did start to get going and then wory about clipping in. I also quit trying to ride up the big hills and get off whilst I had momentum.

Thanks

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:
mgalex:

When you say that you're losing time going uphill, do you mean while on your bike or during run-ups?

I can't seem to ride up. i'm always on my feet. I have to admit I changed the front crankset yesterday to a 48 34 and haven't had a chance to ride it off road so... the guy I bought the bike from had been riding it on the road so had full Ultegra 53x39 12-25. now it's 48x34 and 13-25

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Yup, gearing will definitely help a lot and it certainly sounds like you were overgeared before. Also keep in mind that if it's a matter of losing traction, too, swapping your tires might also be a big help.

You also mentioned something about your calves not being up to the task right now. Have you tried moving your cleats further back?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
First,
the respect is in finishing the race. You get my props for that.
Gearing will help you. If you are serious, consider a single front chainring (about a 42) with a chain keeper on the inside and a bash ring on the outside. What tyres are you running, is your pressure low enough for the mud?

Also,
Cyclocross can benefit from cross training. Run some stairs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mgalex - if you haven't already grabbed a copy, look for Simon Burney's book - it's called "Cyclocross", so it's easy to spot! It is very much the bible on the sport from a top coach.

Like any book, it's no substitute for actually getting out and doing - but it'll give you lots of good things to get out and "do" with! There are also some good training schedules and workout ideas in there - including getting you running a bit as TheDude suggested.

Question about the bike - is it correctly sized for you? I'm thinking especially of the seat tube angle and the amount of set back that you can get if you're struggling on the climbs. I say this as someone who needs set back seat posts and seat tube angles of no more than 73 degrees. On a bike that meets those requirements I make all of my friends suffer on the hills, but anything steeper than that and I can't climb for ****!

Other than that, just remember that cross is pretty hard, so you're gonna hurt. First you'll hurt while you're getting used to the sport. Then you're gonna hurt because you're giving it all you've got ... Either way, it hurts - but (as you're discovering) it's so much fun!!!!! :)

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I currently have Schwalbe CX Pro’s on the wheels and I’m running about 45-50 psi and the traction is surprisingly good considering. About the cleats, they are at the ball of my foot. How can shifting them back help? The calf strength is more when I’m off the bike. Unfortunately, running isn’t an option as I have a back problem but I can run 100 yards with a bike shouldered but practicing what I'll be required to do will be well worth it.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Sliding the cleats back can take some strain off of your calves but only when riding but if this is an issue only when on foot then it's obviously not going to help much (unless, that is, your cleats are slid so far forward that you're baking your calves before you even dismount). Might want to send a letter to our fitness Q&A panel to inquire.

And 45-50psi? Yikes, that's a lot unless that as little you can run without pinch flatting. I'm 155lb and typically run sub-30psi in my race tubies but still almost never more than 40psi in my spare clinchers. Tire pressure can make a HUGE difference in how well your bike feels in 'cross. Experiment a bit with pressures (bring a spare tube!) the next time you're out.

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having trouble on the hills. I agree with James Huang, your problem is most definitely related to your equipment. Have you tried a carbon frame with a beefier bottom bracket?

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
djerek:

I've in no way suggested that changes in equipment will be the sole solution to the problem - believe me, I'll be among the first to say that the engine is still the most important piece of the puzzle.

But with that being said, basic changes in setup can yield big improvements in performance. It's not a matter of using gear as a replacement for fitness - it's a matter of making sure that that hard-earned fitness isn't squandered. And if you read the original post, mgalex suggests said that the experience has been frustrating *because* he/she is already pretty fit.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
OK,
I'm going to read your last post as you are fast enough on the bike, but getting beat on the barriers and other running situations. 1) Practice dismount and remount 2) even if you can't run a lot, do x-training. A stairclimber may be the way to go. I try to run on sand (beach) as it is a huge workout and has little impact - but you need to have a beach nearby.
Also, you are always faster on than off the bike. Some riders have the skills to stay on the bike through awful mud and to hop some barriers. No way can I do that, but if you have the skill, use it.

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Well the cross on Sunday was a true sodden mud fest with 4 inch deep stretches and vertical banks. A true test. Organized by my club too. A real test. I practiced on the course as hadn't had a chance before.

I've started climbing the stairs at work only 5 flights but every time can't have a bad effect. I lowered the saddle and only got stuck once. I didn't try to clip in straight away after re-mounting and it worked, I got going more quickly.

Still lost the chain once, need to sort the gear change, I slipped the back wheel twice (which everyone did) and one slip an forward roll. It seems a lot but looking at others it was the same.

I came higher than before and without chain off could have done better. Top 50 though. Next Sunday is a drier sandy based course which I've been told may suit me... Thanks.

ps, Dude, I'm a bloke:D

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
mgalex said:
I can't seem to ride up. i'm always on my feet.

You mentioned earlier that you're trying to dismount while you still have forward momentum. I think for the novice this is a critical skill to master, both for run-ups and the barriers. Watch any beginner category race and you'll see all sorts of people flubbing the dismount and beginning their run with a substantial loss of speed, sometimes from a dead stop! You mention you're working on this, so keep at it! It takes quite awhile to get really good at it.

Also, in training you want to do your runs when you're almost at your max. Just going for a run, even in sand, is not the same as running in most 'cross races. You're almost always near your max when you hit a run-up, so this is how you must train as well. Specific Adaption to Imposed Demand! Going for a nice half hour run has no specific carry-over to 'cross, other than some basic muscle adaption such that you don't get injured when you run hard. You need to work on that short blast of power. Try finding a hill that you can ride up to get your heart rate up near max, and then at THAT point, get off and run for a fast minute or so.

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gill.

Even better result last race, no mud this time a sandy hard ride on dunes and I really flew. no accidents or mechanicals and I really fought for the places against those who beat me every time and won. My dismount at speed has ben sorted but I still seem to be slow on the remount.

The sand pit was a problem for me as I forgot my Tonka trucks to play with but still wasn't too disappointed.

All your advice has been great so far and seems to be working.

TRENDING THREADS