• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New to riding.. help!

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi there all, i have been interested in cycling for a number of years now but am only now getting serious about starting to ride. Until now I have been mostly swimming and playing water polo but moving to a college with no water polo club has messed that up. I really want to get started cycling but need advice on gear and most importantly bikes! I think it's a sport that takes a big enough investment (for a student) to get started in and I could use all the advice I can get! What kind of bike would be good for a beginner? What kind of gear? If I am fairly fit, how long would it take before I could get involved with my local club? Any advice would be great, thanks!

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
PedalCastro said:
Hi there all, i have been interested in cycling for a number of years now but am only now getting serious about starting to ride. Until now I have been mostly swimming and playing water polo but moving to a college with no water polo club has messed that up. I really want to get started cycling but need advice on gear and most importantly bikes! I think it's a sport that takes a big enough investment (for a student) to get started in and I could use all the advice I can get! What kind of bike would be good for a beginner? What kind of gear? If I am fairly fit, how long would it take before I could get involved with my local club? Any advice would be great, thanks!

If your fit, you can just go to your club right away and train withh them and start riding races the same year (I did :))
If you're about to do it seriously you might want to consider buying a carbon right away, or else a Cervelo S1(alu) with ultegra :)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Go to your local bike shop and try out bikes in your price range. You will get a million recommendations to buy brand X, Y, or Z on this form, but the only real way to get into proper gear is to try it out. Just because one bike worked for someone doesn't mean you're going to like it as well. Same goes for the rest of your gear, helmet, shoes, pedals, clothing, etc.. All very personal choices. Go to a shop, repeating myself, but it's the only way.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
go along to the club and ask them, they'll also point to you the 'right' local bike shop where you'll get good advice about a bike and gear. If you need a second opinion check out another local bike shop that sells racing bikes and gear.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Go and join a local club you will learn from there . Start riding and if you get dropped there you need to be fitter.

No point in investing big $$$$ if you dont like it after haveing a few rides.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
OK you want to learn to cycle and then to race ?

First thing you do is develop "DEEP POCKETS" !

You look at all the nice gear and the brain goes "I WANT" ! NO YOU DON'T !

First weeks are to develop the muscle and endurance abilities , get dropped then make your way to the coffee stop and try again on the way home !

Everyone has their point of view and some will be giving you advice without an agenda . Club members will have excess parts and clothing but DO NOT RUSH , they will be there next week and maybe those items have been available for some time so are unlikely to disappear .

Clubs have their uniform and some second hand gear will be available so that will suit your budget .

DO NOT BUY a new bike ! Use what you have but upgrade items until you reach a point where your body is working efficiently and the coaching you get reaches the point where only better equipment will help you reach a higher level .

Shops are great for advice but would soon disappear if everyone was like me but then i only bought two shirts in 1997 and a bike in 1998 and as you will see from my blog i have done pretty well everything a cyclist could do except beat Jan U. & Livestrong up a hill when racing .

Gianni Motta and Francesco Moser no longer want to come out to play when i feel frisky !

May 30, 2011
Visit site
+1 on what skippy said

It is unlikely the first bike you buy will be your perect bike, you wont really know what you want until you have been riding for quite some time.
Depending on where you live you may need a winter bike so you dont trash your racing bike.
So, buy a mid range or second hand bike off a club member, ride your bike ride your bike ride your bike, this can become your winter / training bike and think about an all singing all dancing model for next year if you need / can afford one.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the two above, no if buts or questions, get a good second hand unit until you know what you want and need.
The best source is usually via a club member, but he don't discount E-bay if you have some advice from other racers
Good mid spec (105/Ultegra) 2nd hand is cheaper than poverty spec new!

And the best way to work out if you are fit enough to race... is to race! That is what grading is about.

(More seriously you actually should do some training with "real" club racers because there are skills you need to learn and simple etiquette, don't try and lean this with recreational riders though, basically a waste of time)

Love riding, enjoy the freedom and sense of accomplishment. Wave to other riders and don't take it all to seriously or you will miss the point of this great sport. If you are not happy to just be riding then you will not be happy on any bike. There is always something better etc...