• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New U.S. stage race in Colorado?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
This years Gila was a joke, LL and DZ had HUGE teams. They each were on 3 man teams, but were backed up by a complete under 23 team. How is Someone like Burke Swindlehurst going to compete with that.

OT - there was an attempt to have a Tour of America last year. http://thetourofamerica.com/ I remember it was originally going to have like 28 stages but they tried to shorten it and it still failed.

Keep backing races like Utah and Cascade, maybe Utah can combine with Colorado and make a 2 week race or Cascade with California. That would be some good racing.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
turtlesoup said:
I miss the tour of GA, ive lived here for nearly 20 years and loved watching it. I hope it comes back North GA has some wicked rollers.

Id love to see a big Colorado race, and it would be awesome to see maybe george hincapie and lance get behind it. Lance bolstered the leadville 100 by showing up. It would be huge for american cycling if those 2 even after retirement rode or sponsored some of these big races.

Dead on accurate. In order for the crowds, the GENERAL american population needs to see LA, Levi, Horner and Hincapie. Granted the true cycling fans of America and this forum would rather watch a CAT 5 rider.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
DrC0721 said:
Dead on accurate. In order for the crowds, the GENERAL american population needs to see LA, Levi, Horner and Hincapie. Granted the true cycling fans of America and this forum would rather watch a CAT 5 rider.

True cycling fans?

Pardon me for asking but who determines what a truecycling fan is and what is their criteria?

craig1985 said:
Looks brutal. What is the general gradient of the mountains like? Are they steep, or more consistent gradient and the length is the killer. Cool that they have the Cima Coppi for the highest mountain point.

The Cima Coppi isn't close to the hardest part though. They hard parts are at the last mountain top of each stage. First day ends on 1k at 17%. It's nasty.

Last climb on the second day climbs 2000 feet in the last 5k. Entire climb is exposed. Absolutely no shade on the 2nd and 3rd climbs of the 2nd day and minimal shade on the first.

Descents are fun, but I remember out little group was doing 86k on the descent with a thousand foot + dropoff on the side. Big penalty for failure.

Huh?

DrC0721 said:

This kind of thinking is lost on me.

I don't know if this is worthy of a thread on its own, but I don't get why one needs to import European racers to put on a good show. When you see Euro pros go on break all day (Lars Boom at Tour of Cali) and THEN attack the field like he's been sucking wheel in the peloton during the last 10K, you have to wonder if that's human-scaled performance or enhanced with the latest in non-detection doping.

Even if you ignore the chargers, the Europeans pedal a bike just like a domestic pro. Please explain why a Euro is higher on your preference ladder. I don't get the fascination.

BTW, Tour of Battenkill definitely belongs on the list must-do events in the U.S. That whole category of dirt roads racing has great spectating potential.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I don't know if this is worthy of a thread on its own, but I don't get why one needs to import European racers to put on a good show. When you see Euro pros go on break all day (Lars Boom at Tour of Cali) and THEN attack the field like he's been sucking wheel in the peloton during the last 10K, you have to wonder if that's human-scaled performance or enhanced with the latest in non-detection doping.

Or if its just a good indication of the level of exertion of the other riders in the Grand Fondo Amgen.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The big question is, if Lance isn't riding in it or doing some major supporting of it, will it last or go the ways of Georgia and Missouri? Verses claims these type races require $1-2M (http://www.versus.com/blogs/wheel-sucking-with-neil/tour-of-colorado---we-need-this-race/)and the states are boasting of an economic impact of between $26M for Georgia (http://www.tourdegeorgia.com/) and $210M for Cali (http://www.ci.agoura-hills.ca.us/index.aspx?page=372) the state should be kicking in a good portion of this money and not require such huge sponsorships. If the only benefit was just the sales tax on Georgia's claimed $26M, at 7% sales tax, the state basically breaks even alone just on that if they paid the whole thing without associate sponsors.

So why do these races fail because of money?

Georgia has been saying "we'll be back next year" for 2 years and completely missed the "Lance effect," if they did come back in '11 the numbers won't be as high with his re-retirement just like 06-08.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Colorado or the Vuelta? Uuuuummm, now let me think.:rolleyes:
Still, if it keeps the Fanbois happy.

"California or the Giro? Now let me think...."

you might recall that some big teams and names chose California.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Quiznos is title sponsor. Medium to large sized corporation. So at least they have that. I'll guess that with Colorado's cycling culture, there will be some enthusiasm for the event from local business. I'm sure most of the Mtn towns would love to have a stage but I wonder what it will cost to ante up.

It will be interesting to see what kind of route comes together. Hopefully some of the classic Coors Classic stages will happen although I'd imagine it all comes down to host towns putting together the best bids.

I'm somewhat optimistic a good race will come together, but there are still a lot of details to come. Sounds like they've put a lot of thought to all the issues but I'm sure there will be plenty of struggling to pull it all together.

I'm sure nothing will be good enough for the CN forum negativity posse' especially since one Mr. Armstrong is involved, but what the heck, you can't please everyone. :)

eleven said:
"California or the Giro? Now let me think...."

you might recall that some big teams and names chose California.

One team: the Shack and their "big" names.
No lost to the Giro, judging from their Tour performance.
The magnificent Giro took centre stage in Europe, watched by avidly millions, while the Californian flop was a mere, late night sideshow.

I only hope Colorado can organise a better route and race. Enjoy it while it lasts.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Colorado is smart to use a bike race to showcase their state. I wish California organizers used their opportunities better to showcase our state with our race.
Congradulations Gov. of Colorado and Lance, good work.

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Colorado is smart to use a bike race to showcase their state. I wish California organizers used their opportunities better to showcase our state with our race.

The ToCA hits Modesto every year...what more do you want?

Huge props to Quiznos for taking a chance on cycling during this time. Also to governor Bill Ritter, and yes to Lance for getting this on the map. This race is long overdue. The Coors' Classic was by far the best stage race in the history of this country, and if they can turn this into anything close, then chapeau to them.

The only thing they need to do, IMO is call it the Colorado Classic, as "Quiznos Pro Challenge" sounds lame. Even Quiznos Classic would have been better. But hey, at least there will be a race.

flicker said:
Colorado is smart to use a bike race to showcase their state. I wish California organizers used their opportunities better to showcase our state with our race..
Agree completely flicker. I've been to both states and lived in Cal for four years, it's a shame your state hardly showcases itself, as you say. Having the peloton zoom over some Sierra foothills on it's way to Modesto is not showcasing the state. :(

But overall, this is great news for cycling.

:cool:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

You don't have to be so obnoxious. No one week race overrules a GT, not even more traditional ones like the Dauphine, but a race with this kind of backing, local terrain, and local support, has a lot of potential. Colorado is a much better place to hold a professional bike race than California, seeing as the high number of people who ride in the state. The race will miss out on some big name riders, but for those looking for an easier option than the Vuelta to prepare for the world-this could be it. Plus, it's not like the Vuelta gets the kind of draw the Giro and Tour do these days. Hopefully they have a stage near Vail/Breckenridge. BTW, for all the support I have for this race, I still prefer the Vuelta for viewing pleasure.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

The big teams will come. Maybe not their A squads, but the U.S. (at least for the time being) is just too big of a market to ignore.

JayZee said:
The big teams will come. Maybe not their A squads, but the U.S. (at least for the time being) is just too big of a market to ignore.

Except for those teams for whom it's irrelevant - Caisse, Katyusha, Euskaltel, FdJ, Lotto, Lampre, what reason do those teams have for racing in the US?

Coming to the US will be pretty much the same squads as raced Cali. Again, the US-based teams and teams with sponsors with US interests (Rabo, QS) might send some A-ish squads, but you'll be missing half the ProTour, the Vuelta will continue to be far more prestigious for any serious stage racers and Worlds prep, but a few top names will come to the US to roll around just like the Tour of California, where they tried to sell us something they were never going to be able to give us (it was so prestigious that great climbers rolled in with the autobus and over 100 riders pulled out). The rest of the roster will be filled with US domestic teams, and it will be a good race - better racing than Cali - but it's not going to displace the Vuelta in a month of Sundays.

It may well benefit from being close to the Canadian ProTour races, if they don't fail. As a result you'll have a fair few PT teams in North America already, and it makes sense to get the races done together, just like Qatar and Oman. But again, I don't expect the crême de la crême to come because the Vuelta is more prestigious and seen as better Worlds prep.

Weirdly though, I think that that will help the race rather than hinder it. It's much better to build the prestige of a race up from below than to superimpose imagined prestige and top names over a race without the history or tradition like in Cali. The loss of Lance and Levi may expose how little most of the péloton cares about it, while having fewer big names but a good race status could mean better racing and harder fought wins, which will then make them seem like they mean more.