• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New U.S. stage race in Colorado?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
One team: the Shack and their "big" names.
No lost to the Giro, judging from their Tour performance.
The magnificent Giro took centre stage in Europe, watched by avidly millions, while the Californian flop was a mere, late night sideshow.

I only hope Colorado can organise a better route and race. Enjoy it while it lasts.

While I agree that the Giro didn't suffer and it was a great race, there were plenty of big names at ToC. Off the top of my head: Robbie Hunter, Hesjedal, Dave Z, Boonen, the Schlecks, Jens, Cancellara, Hincrashie, Cav, Renshaw, Tony Martin. Maybe I'm biased because we attended a few stages and had a blast. Plus, it's the only chance we've had since World's 2002 to see our favorite riders in person.

As for Colorado, sounds like a great idea. My fear is it'll turn into the "Lance show". Great for the organizers, I guess, but I'm tired of him and ready for him to be gone.

saphblue said:
While I agree that the Giro didn't suffer and it was a great race, there were plenty of big names at ToC. Off the top of my head: Robbie Hunter, Hesjedal, Dave Z, Boonen, the Schlecks, Jens, Cancellara, Hincrashie, Cav, Renshaw, Tony Martin. Maybe I'm biased because we attended a few stages and had a blast. Plus, it's the only chance we've had since World's 2002 to see our favorite riders in person.

As for Colorado, sounds like a great idea. My fear is it'll turn into the "Lance show". Great for the organizers, I guess, but I'm tired of him and ready for him to be gone.
The problem was, how many of them were giving a flying fig? This will always be the problem facing a new US race. Without the history and tradition, you can't make the big names care about the race, and without the big names you can't make the fans care about the race. But without the fans you can't build the history and tradition.

Cali tried to buy in the riders, and to an extent it succeeded, but the racing proved that the big teams didn't really care, and the parcours was disappointing. Colorado could make a more interesting race, but that alone won't make Andy Schleck try to win, rather than roll around in the grupetto. But you can't make it ultra-hard and expect the riders there for Worlds prep to give it their all (just like the sprinters clear off when the Vuelta heads for the high mountains) either; which is a shame because making the race ultra-difficult and offering something new and more importantly, unique (which Colorado certainly could), is the best way to create prestige in a new event (see: Eroica).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Except for those teams for whom it's irrelevant - Caisse, Katyusha, Euskaltel, FdJ, Lotto, Lampre, what reason do those teams have for racing in the US?
the Vuelta will continue to be far more prestigious for any serious stage racers and Worlds prep,
But again, I don't expect the crême de la crême to come because the Vuelta is more prestigious and seen as better Worlds prep.
Depends on the timing. If there is a week seperation between any ToCO and Vuelta, then I think you might find Vuelta contenders using a ToCO as a work-up, as TdF riders use the Dauphine/TdSuisse. Especially if they were excluded from the TdF.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The problem was, how many of them were giving a flying fig?

Lots of the riders did.

Just because Andy Schleck wasn't in great form doesn't mean that nobody else cared. How often is it that you see GT contenders killing it that time of year?

UCI points makes a lot of modern day riders care about races. That's how the get paid.

It's silly to compare it to a GT, but having talked to a lot of guys who did this year's ToC and past Dauphine's, Tour de Suisse and Paris Nice, to a man they all described the racing as being equally competitive. Look at the final GC. There are no slow guys up there.

Yeah, the route could be more selective, but the race is still fairly new.

But since this thread is about a Colorado stage race, I'll simply say that it's altitude is going to force some people to say away. A lot of riders absolutely hate to race at that sort of altitude.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Great

.....happy days for cycling. Any news of new sponsors committing to this sport is a good thing. Looks like $5 footlongs are out Quizznoes are in !!

I think it's going to succeed more so on the quality of racing and showcasing the state, than on who shows up. The race will make the riders, not the other way around.

We've also seen quite a few years where races like the Vuelta are strongholds for Spaniards, or even the Giro for Italians. But as 131313 said, this isn't that big of a race. It's not even a PT race. It's really lower on the list than Dauphne, Paris-Nice, or even the ToC. I'd try to compare it more to Tirreno-Adriatico, or Eneco or Austria, though ToC is the most logical comparison.

But organizing an exciting and scenic race is paramount. That's part of the ToC's problem. They are so worried about money and getting top riders to show up, we end up with courses like this year that hardly showcase the state at all. There actually ARE a lot of cyclists in California, and a LOT of incredible scenery, if the organizers will take the risk of letting the riders go there.

131313 said:
Lots of the riders did.

Just because Andy Schleck wasn't in great form doesn't mean that nobody else cared. How often is it that you see GT contenders killing it that time of year?
In May? Every year. In Italy.

UCI points makes a lot of modern day riders care about races. That's how the get paid.
So maybe you can tell most of the big names not riding for Garmin, Columbia or Radioshack who turned up in California, so that next time they WILL give a flying one.

It's silly to compare it to a GT, but having talked to a lot of guys who did this year's ToC and past Dauphine's, Tour de Suisse and Paris Nice, to a man they all described the racing as being equally competitive. Look at the final GC. There are no slow guys up there.
Just because there are no slow guys does not mean the racing was great though. There are lesser talents at the top end of the Volta a Portugal, but the racing is usually better. Also, the difference is not at the top but lower down; the other races you mention have top teams all the way to the bottom. The ToC is a half-half race. Half of the roster is top teams, half the roster is low-level domestic teams. The latter have no chance of competing with the former, it isn't like Turkey where you have a mixture of top teams, second-tier and lower-ranked teams, where a team like ISD and Cofidis can spring surprises. The winner of the ToC was ALWAYS going to come from one of the three US-based Pro teams, and was always going to be Rogers, DZ or Levi. And it was always going to be won in the ITT, because the "MTF" may have contained as much climbing as your average Alpine stage, but it was all slow and gradual, which meant it was incredibly difficult, but also not very selective, which meant that it was a bit of a damp squib.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Mainerider said:
Do those dates conflict with the Tour of Utah ? Wonder what will happen to that race.

I was wondering that, too. It seems like they might. It would be quite the **** move to compete with one of the only races in the country that is gaining sponsors instead of losing them.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
never-nude said:
I was wondering that, too. It seems like they might. It would be quite the **** move to compete with one of the only races in the country that is gaining sponsors instead of losing them.

Could be a ploy by Colorado to gain more publicty than Utah. For tourist marketing reasons. Both states are in direct competition for summer and winter tourists.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
never-nude said:

Since the 2011 dates haven't been announced for either race I wouldn't get too worked up quite yet. Plus, I don't believe Utah is a UCI race so for the most part you're talking about two different levels of riders.

saphblue said:

Little doubt he has some 'stake' in this enterprise($). Otherwise why would he be there? Not sponsored by Shack, but probably will have Livestrong Foundation as a sponsor. Even tho LA has a place in Aspen, he's not really 'from' Colorado.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
A stage race in CO would be one of a few races I would actually travel to watch. It would have the potential to be pretty unique and very difficult. Gaining public interest might be an issue but CO is a desireable travel local as opposed to Missouri; so it might fare better.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
One team: the Shack and their "big" names.
No lost to the Giro, judging from their Tour performance.
s.

you're kidding, right? The Giro was indeed a fantastic and grand race.

But the competition at the ATOC was terrific. I seem to recall that some Andy fella was there. And some silly Spartacus character. And Robbie Hunter. and, well...you get the point.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
timeismonkey said:
A stage race in CO would be one of a few races I would actually travel to watch. It would have the potential to be pretty unique and very difficult. Gaining public interest might be an issue but CO is a desireable travel local as opposed to Missouri; so it might fare better.
The Red Zinger and Coors classics were excellent races, although they spent a little too much time in the Denver-Boulder area. In 1986 I remember an Auraria criterium (lower Denver), the Morgul-Bismarck circuit race (Boulder County and Superior, between Denver and Boulder), and the Niwot time trial (also Boulder County). Also, the women rode a North Boulder criterium. But the race did traverse mountain passes and hit a some resort towns.

My question about this race is the role of Quizno's as a major sponsor. At least a year or two ago, this was not a financially strong company.

Of course, neither is Radio Shack.

eleven said:
you're kidding, right? The Giro was indeed a fantastic and grand race.

But the competition at the ATOC was terrific. I seem to recall that some Andy fella was there. And some silly Spartacus character. And Robbie Hunter. and, well...you get the point.

do not mistake being present for competing.

The competition at the AToC was between Levi, Rogers, and DZ. And that's it. Apart from that you only had Cav vs. Chicchi vs. Haedo in the sprints, since Boonen crashed in stage 1, and whether or not a domestic rider could make the top 10.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I havent seen the actual routes, but today, Gov. Ritter along with Quiznos released the host cities for the 2011 Quiznos Challenge:
Aug. 22 - Stage 1, prologue time trial, Colorado Springs

Aug. 23 - Stage 2, Salida to Crested Butte, mountain-top finish

Aug. 24 - Stage 3, Gunnison to Aspen, mountain stage

Aug. 25 - Stage 4, Vail, time trial, former Coors Classic stage

Aug. 26 - Stage 5, Avon to Steamboat Springs

Aug. 27 - Stage 6, Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge

Aug. 28 - Stage 7, Golden to Denver

While I am absolutely stoked that the race finishes and starts here in Steamboat:), Im curious as to all the paths from point a to point b.

Salida to Crested Butte will be likely cross Monarch Pass (11,312ft - 3448m), but to say it is a MT finish is a misnomer. The drag up from Gunnison to the town of CB is uphill but it is not steep - perhaps 3% average. Going up the the ski station is short (perhaps 3km) and still not very steep.:(

Gunny to Aspen could be a very interesting stage, again depending on the route. If it were up to me, I'd finish at Maroon Lake.

Both Avon to Steamboat and the 'Boat to Breck will be high altitude rolling stages (good for breaks and eschelon riding - there can be some strong side winds) and Golden to Denver will likely be a curcuit as the cities are only 15 miles apart.

If you are thinking of attending, obviously Steamboat would be a great place (it is an easy 70 mi drive to Avon and 100 mi to Breck), but Summit county (Breck, Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, and Copper Mountain) also well placed only 30 miles from Vail; as is Eagle River Valley (Vail, Avon, Minturn, and Edwards).

But dont think of asking me for any favors - I've already had numerous requests for hosting/housing benefits.:eek: Well other than general knowledge and incidentals of course...

One other thing (well two), being in the Colorado high country late August is awesome. The days are comfortable warm - you can get absolutely sun-fried in a very short amount of time - and the nights are refreshingly cool. It is, however a big time for folks on holiday, along with the weekend warriors coming up from the front range. If you are thinking of attending, plan ahead. 'course being here in the wild west, the national forests are open to camping (fire bans will likely be in place so bring a good camp stove).

Ok, last edit [for tourism purposes]. Lest I forget, Buena Vista (pronounced Bunivista) would be another great place to stage out of - especially if you also bring your mountain bike. Some of the best single track is located in the upper Arkansas River valley. CB, also, is a funky, but very cool town with great Mtn biking.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Salida to Crested Butte will be likely cross Monarch Pass (11,312ft - 3448m), but to say it is a MT finish is a misnomer. The drag up from Gunnison to the town of CB is uphill but it is not steep - perhaps 3% average. Going up the the ski station is short (perhaps 3km) and still not very steep.:(

First time I read that, I thought they might be riding up the ski area (i.e. up the cat trails like the Kroneplatz stage in the Giro a few years back) at the end of that stage. Now I am guessing that this is most likely not the case ??

benpounder said:
Gunny to Aspen could be a very interesting stage, again depending on the route. If it were up to me, I'd finish at Maroon Lake.

not enough parking ????? ...

benpounder said:
.... Golden to Denver will likely be a curcuit as the cities are only 15 miles apart.

My guess is they will head north out of Golden to take in some foothills and ride through Boulder before getting back to Denver

benpounder said:
.... a big time for folks on holiday, along with the weekend warriors coming up from the front range. ... .
lots of out-of-staters in huge RV's also..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
benpounder said:
not enough parking ????? ...
Not enough? There is no parking! But the backdrop, and the ease for cyclists and tourists alike (plenty of public transportation) would make it an incredible finishing uphill.
usa_maroon_bells_colorado.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Aspen Times is claiming the stage from Gunnison to Aspen is via Cottonwood pass (a dirt road that crests at 12,126ft) and Independence pass (12,095ft). To Aspen it is 210km with 2850m of climbing and a high point of 3696m.

As said above, why not add another 17km (and another 510m climb) to finish at Maroon Lake? No, it is not steep, but it would make for a good finish after a long and difficult day...

Check it out here.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:
Aspen Times is claiming the stage from Gunnison to Aspen is via Cottonwood pass (a dirt road that crests at 12,126ft) and Independence pass (12,095ft). To Aspen it is 210km with 2850m of climbing and a high point of 3696m.

As said above, why not add another 17km (and another 510m climb) to finish at Maroon Lake? No, it is not steep, but it would make for a good finish after a long and difficult day...

Check it out here.

You could also finish at Ashcroft. There is at least some parking and electricity there

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
If it where up to me:

August 22 – Stage 1, Prologue time trial, Colorado Springs Since it's a prologue almost anything will work
August 23 – Stage 2, Salida to Crested Butte, mountain-top finish
A cool route rather than going over Monarch could be go over Poncha Pass, down into the San Luis Valley, then go through Sarguache onto hwy 114 to Gunny. Not quite sure what they mean by "mountain top finish" since the road into CB isn't steep at all unless they went through town and continued to climb up toward Kebler pass to were the pavement ends.
August 24 – Stage 3, Gunnison to Aspen, mountain stage Again, Over Monarch then Independence would be a good stage, but how about this: Go down to Blue Mesa, then cross the dam and take hwy 92 to Hotchkiss, then to Paonia and over McClure pass, then to Aspen.
August 25 – Stage 4, Vail, time trail, former Coors Classic stage How about climb all the way to the top of the pass on the bike path instead of ending it at the end of the old road?
August 26 – Stage 5, Avon to Steamboat Springs The most strait forward way would be Wolcot, then 131 right into town. How about Going over Gore Pass then Rabbit ears?
August 27 – Stage 6, Steamboat Springs to Breckenridge This could be pretty unexciting unless they did something like 131 over Gore pass then go through Kremmling. Regardless, if the finish is in town it will be a mass sprint since it's a long gradual climb up the Blue.
August 28 – Stage 7, Golden to Denver You could do a lot with this maybe go up Golden gate, down coal creek or something like left hand just to say you went through Boulder and on into Denver.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Not enough? There is no parking! But the backdrop, and the ease for cyclists and tourists alike (plenty of public transportation) would make it an incredible finishing uphill.

Yup, sort of my point. I know that the finish usualy has huge trucks and can be crowded. Not a lot of room up there for team buses, new trucks, and the assorted support vehicles.

TRENDING THREADS