• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New Ultegra, Like or Lump?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I vote Like.

Hoods are strange looking but comfy. New chainring and crank-set looks good.

RS-Eighty clincher wheels look great and should be durable as, don't know about the Tubeless ready set though.

Now if only they'd add a battery...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
When will Shimano move MTB groups to 10 speed? The 9 speed world was (is in my case) almost perfect. Mountain & road parts all worked seamlessly together. Tandem owners understand.

embankmentlb said:
When will Shimano move MTB groups to 10 speed? The 9 speed world was (is in my case) almost perfect. Mountain & road parts all worked seamlessly together. Tandem owners understand.

Talked to a shimano outside guy couple of days ago and a new XTR is in the works for 2011. He 'implied' electronic. No electric for 6700, yes to a triple tho(no triple for 7900), 7803 will remain for 2010.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
embankmentlb said:

Now they have a 36T 9-speed rear cassette for "29ers", they could do the same thing in 10-speed and have a 2*10 system with an awesome gear range. And if they went to a 2*10 XTR using 5 bolt 110bcd cranks the mix an match possibilities would be almost endless...

Back to Ultegra, does anyone know if Shimano are going to do a BB30 compatible crank-set and BB?

And does anyone know why it's the entry level MTB pedals and brakes that got the white treatment and not the top end? It would have made a lot more sense to me to see white as an option for XTR than Deore.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I like Shimano a lot but I'm really not sure about the new hoods. Don't get me wrong, I absolutly love the shape but I can't help but think they look really cheap. I always get the impression that the small lever will break and I don't like the fact that the internals are exposed like they are. If the Ultegra is like the Dura-Ace in that matter, I might end up putting some SRAM or Campy gruppo on my new bike next year. The SRAM Force is a hell of a lot ligther than Ultegra and it's probably cheaper as well.

Edit: After double checking, the SRAM Force is more expensive then Ultegra 6600 but we'll see what's the retail price for the new version!

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
If it ends up twice as expensive as 6600, it'll end up more expensive then SRAM Force and probably close to Chorus, if not more expensive... It's a shame because while there is improvements on the gruppo, nothing justifies such a raise in price.

Nevermind said:
If it ends up twice as expensive as 6600, it'll end up more expensive then SRAM Force and probably close to Chorus, if not more expensive... It's a shame because while there is improvements on the gruppo, nothing justifies such a raise in price.

These prices are surprisingly close to 'normal retail' and yes, 6700 is about the same as Chorus 11s. Much more than Athena 11s will be.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_GRUPPO

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I like everything but the color, looks kinda cheap. Just another solid Shimano drivetrain, I see nothing really unique or new about it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
embankmentlb said:

i'm waiting for this too. I am a very small rider and so struggle on the climbs and wanted a 11-34 cassette to put on the back. As I have a 10 speed Ultegra I can't get one at present. I'm sure the 10 speed will come but as you say there is no reason for Shimano to market these differently as the road \ mtb range all seem to work with each other

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
These prices are surprisingly close to 'normal retail' and yes, 6700 is about the same as Chorus 11s. Much more than Athena 11s will be.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_GRUPPO

What currency is used for these prices??? I work in a bike shop and SRAM Force is way more expensive then that in Canadian dollars. I had the full gruppo around 1900$ with shifters, rear and front derailleurs, brakes, crankset, chain and cassette.

Good thing I wont pay my gruppo full price when I get my new bike next year.

Nevermind said:
What currency is used for these prices??? I work in a bike shop and SRAM Force is way more expensive then that in Canadian dollars. I had the full gruppo around 1900$ with shifters, rear and front derailleurs, brakes, crankset, chain and cassette.

Good thing I wont pay my gruppo full price when I get my new bike next year.

US Dollars. $1800 USD for Force is expensive.