• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New video from Cervelo

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Good old Haussler. For me Ted King was the star of the show for the earlier installments. He had a good sense of humour.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I like that a lot of people say that you need to be a really determined, ruthless figure to reach the top in sport as a defense of Armstrong, but Sastre is pretty much the most straight up guy you could meet.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think that you're just talking about Lance there.

Look at Lemond, Indurain, Ullrich, any of them ruthless, ice-cold individuals?

As of Cervelo, it's my favorite team right now. The whole team, especially Sastre, Haussler and the god of Thunder are class acts and I wish em the best for the next season!

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Is it just me or did it seem like the team gave up Sastre's chances after the Stage 1 TT? They certainly seemed more concerned with Thor's green jersey aspirations.

Anyway, After seeing those brief interviews with Haussler, I think I admire him even more; pure class.

ImmaculateKadence said:
Is it just me or did it seem like the team gave up Sastre's chances after the Stage 1 TT? They certainly seemed more concerned with Thor's green jersey aspirations.
They didn't give up entirely before stage 17 or so, but they probably realized that his chances for even getting top 5 were extremely slim due to his weak form.

It's not like they did that much work for Hushovd either, which I thought would be explained in the video, but apperently not. Why wasn't Haussler able to do some decent leadouts for Hushovd at all?

maltiv said:
They didn't give up entirely before stage 17 or so, but they probably realized that his chances for even getting top 5 were extremely slim due to his weak form.

It's not like they did that much work for Hushovd either, which I thought would be explained in the video, but apperently not. Why wasn't Haussler able to do some decent leadouts for Hushovd at all?

At one point in one of the videos they breifly mention that "Columbia is simply stronger" or something like that so I think they realized that if they did decide to go for their own leadouts it would not bring Thor into a better position compared to if he simply stayed on Cavendish wheel.

Also if anyone was going to lead out Hushovd then it would be Lancaster and not Haussler. Haussler is not experioenced enough at lead outs to simply start doing it in the middle of a tour.

ingsve said:
At one point in one of the videos they breifly mention that "Columbia is simply stronger" or something like that so I think they realized that if they did decide to go for their own leadouts it would not bring Thor into a better position compared to if he simply stayed on Cavendish wheel.

Also if anyone was going to lead out Hushovd then it would be Lancaster and not Haussler. Haussler is not experioenced enough at lead outs to simply start doing it in the middle of a tour.
He was Hushovd's main leadout man in like all other events they raced in this year. His 2. at Milan-Sanremo was "sort of" a leadout, but thor obviously wasn't able to follow his insane acceleration. I also remember reading that Haussler was supposed to lead him out in the Tour, but it just didn't happen, unfortunately.

You're probably right that no one else on the team would be strong enough to do anything useful in the last km.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
sandman said:

As of Cervelo, it's my favorite team right now. The whole team, especially Sastre, Haussler and the god of Thunder are class acts and I wish em the best for the next season!

Yeah I know, I just remembered it from a topic in the Clinic.

Sastre does show remarkable humility, it was only last year he won the tour. Have to say, I found the episodes on the classics and the giro better then those on the tour.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:

After the TTT it seemes secondary to Thor's Green Jersey. I'm surprised Sastre's GC hopes weren't more of a focus. You're right though they gave up completely after stage 17.

I think the reason Thor didn't get any leadouts is because Columbia did such a good job asserting themselves up front. If you weren't behind Hincapie and Renshaw, the next best position was Cav's wheel. Remember in the last stage when Garmin tried to take the lead for Farrar, Hincapie pulled them back then swung out pushing the pace so nobody could get up front in the last km. Columbia played every sprint perfectly.

maltiv said:
He was Hushovd's main leadout man in like all other events they raced in this year. His 2. at Milan-Sanremo was "sort of" a leadout, but thor obviously wasn't able to follow his insane acceleration. I also remember reading that Haussler was supposed to lead him out in the Tour, but it just didn't happen, unfortunately.

You're probably right that no one else on the team would be strong enough to do anything useful in the last km.

No, he wasn't. Lancaster rode with Hushovd all year as a lead out. The only time Haussler tried leading Hushovd out was during Milano - San Remo and it was Hausslers inexperience that messed up the lead out that time, though it still worked out ok for them with 2nd and 3rd.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
sandman said:

Would be impossible to argue against Cervelo's professionalism. Some regular talented cool bunch of guys. They don't win every sprint or race but these guys look great riding. Plus, they have one of the coolest kits around and the best documentaries of recent times.

TRENDING THREADS