• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of upgrading from the Bontrager race wheels that came on my bike to either a pair of mavic kysrium equipe or elite depending on what I can scrape together. I was wondering whether this was a good use of money to upgrade my bike, whether people think the elites are worth the extra money or if there are better wheels in a similar price range I should look into.

Cheers.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The big question is what are you using them for? Race, Training, Rec, Centuries, JRA?

Elites are roughly $250 more for a savings of 200g. The Equipes might be good enough. Look also at the HED Kermesse, fifty bucks more than the Mavic Elites, but more durable, resilient, and a bit lighter even by using the standard J bend spoke. If you break a Mavic spoke, have fun waiting for a replacement. Break a J bend spoke and guaranteed your shop, or any shop in the world for that matter would have you rolling in no time. Not implying that you're a spoke breaker, but it happens to the best of us. Also, if you live in the US, support a US company, just a thought.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The big question is what are you using them for? Race, Training, Rec, Centuries, JRA?

Well a bit of everything really, I want to race next season but until then training, club rides etc.

I searched for the HD Kermesse and it didn't bring any sales pages up which leads me to assume they don't sell that model here in the UK but i'll keep looking.

Is the only different between the elite and the equipe the weight?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
uphillstruggle said:
Is the only different between the elite and the equipe the weight?

Yep. The Elite wheel 200 grams savings is because of an aluminum axle (where it doesn't count), and aluminum nipples (where it does count for rotational weight). The Equipe sports a steel axle, and brass nips. Is it worth the extra money to save 200 grams?? Probably not, but that's entirely up to you.

Check out HED UK http://www.hedwheels.com/ Now that I'm looking at it, I don't see the Kermesse available for the UK market. Still very competitive prices for the Ardennes and Bastongne. Worth taking a look at.

I had a look at the HED ardennes, they look great but I can't afford those prices just now, shame the Kermesse aren't supplied over here.

To be honest I don't think 200 grams is worth the money for me, it's not like it's the extra weight will be the reason I get dropped. My last question is whether I will feel the diffrence between the bontrager rae and the equipes? Or should I save and get better wheels later down the line?

@ Willis 97, those look good too but again seem to be for the US only. What the hell are those thing made off 1500 gr for that price! Seems too good to be true.

Cheers for the replies.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Check out the Shimano RS-Eighty's, shade over 1500g for a similar price to Mavic Elites. Same composite rims as the Dura-ace wheels but slightly heavier axle and freewheel (no Ti:()

Saying that, Bontragers aren't too shabby...

uphillstruggle said:
I'm thinking of upgrading from the Bontrager race wheels that came on my bike to either a pair of mavic kysrium equipe or elite depending on what I can scrape together. I was wondering whether this was a good use of money to upgrade my bike, whether people think the elites are worth the extra money or if there are better wheels in a similar price range I should look into.

Cheers.

Gotta a good bike shop nearby with a good, experienced wheelbuilder? Have them design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs. Better all around(particularly the rear hub) and probably cheaper to boot.

krebs303 said:

"RS: We're working on some fixturing to actually test that. We work closely with a few cycling and automotive gurus as well as the folks at Ceramic Speed in Denmark. Those numbers are kind of elusive, you see the big manufacturers’ numbers and it's hard to say whether it's propaganda or not. But I think the data's pretty clear that ceramic bearings are the real deal, it's just that the differences are so small and difficult to measure that it's just a tough thing to quantify without knowing how the bearings were installed and how much and which type of grease was used. I've seen advertised data that says 3 watts saved at 300 watts on a 6% grade, so 1%?! That seems a bit high."

At least he knows the difference in ceramics or not is small. Not sure about the 'real deal' comment if the difference is less than 1%.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Nice interview... I also work with Ceramic Speed, and concur with what Rich says about them being top notch. Is it worth the mega $bucks$ for the upgrade? Not for the average cyclist, but there is a growing market for them, and many of the pros use 'em. When you do a spin test comparison with regular steel ball bearings vs. ceramic, the ceramics spin longer no matter the hubs or grease being used. Unscientific, but a noticeable difference.

As far as whether they're the "real deal" or not, even a fraction of a mechanical advantage can mean the difference between winning or losing, something to seriously consider when the stakes are as high as they are in the pro ranks.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I posted a query like this several months ago and went out and purchased some Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels. RDV4Roubaix really urged me to have custom handmade wheels built. The Fulcrums gave me no trouble over 2K miles, but they offered a dead ride and didn't jump. I am sorry if I can't describe the feel accurately.
I read a lot about the HED C2 wheels (Ardennes, Bastogne) and shopped for them.
Then I came up with a pair of Dura Ace hubs and bought C2 rims from Hed. I had a wheel builder lace them and wow, what a difference. Bike climbs better, responds better. The total cost came to about $450. The builder did an exchange with me and charged only for the spokes. Couldn't be happier, except that the Fulcrums will be very hard to re-sell..folks are unloading NEW Fulcrums for $750 on eBay. Yeah, ya told me so!

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Oh Christian, too bad they didn't work out for you, well kind of.:p My biggest gripe with those are, as you very well know, their stupid aluminum spokes, which is most likely the culprit of the crappy ride. Just happy to hear you put your trust in your local wheel builder to come up with what sounds like a fantastic solution.

Happy riding!

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Nice interview... I also work with Ceramic Speed, and concur with what Rich says about them being top notch. Is it worth the mega $bucks$ for the upgrade? Not for the average cyclist, but there is a growing market for them, and many of the pros use 'em. When you do a spin test comparison with regular steel ball bearings vs. ceramic, the ceramics spin longer no matter the hubs or grease being used. Unscientific, but a noticeable difference.

As far as whether they're the "real deal" or not, even a fraction of a mechanical advantage can mean the difference between winning or losing, something to seriously consider when the stakes are as high as they are in the pro ranks.

When a pro has an option of getting them, for free, or not, sure they will. Yep, there is a growing market for them, along with ohsomuch else that does little to improve the average cyclists performance at a HUGE cost.
People buy also WRX's, with a huge spoiler and electronic shifters, so they can bop down to the 7-11 also.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Looking for new wheels that can take a 95 kg rider

Can anyone please give me some advice on what kind of wheels I should get?
I got a new Scott CR1 in May. While I'm very happy with the bike, I'm less than impressed over the Mavic Axuim Race wheels that came with it. Since my weight is +/- 95 kg (and I don't think it likely that I'll get below 90 kg anytime soon), I realize the need for wheels that can support my weight.
My Axuims have been trued almost monthly since I got my bike, and I'm pretty tired of it :mad: So, new wheels it is!
For the record, I'm not looking for wheels specifically for either training or racing, but rather good, solid wheels that I can use for both purposes.
I've heard a lot praise for the HED Ardennes and the Fulcrum Racing1 (Eurus?), but they are probably too expensive for me...
The most important for me is to have wheels that support my weight, but still feels good to ride with. I'm not looking for the lightest wheels just to have less weight to drag (that'd be a ridiculous expense when I can much cheaper loose 5 kg off my body, right?).
I hope to purchase good enough wheels for less than US$ 7-800.
But if I have to pay more to get the right wheels, I'd rather do that than spend 800 on wheels not really good enough :eek:

It would also be a treat if my next wheels would look somewhat like the Axiums; then I could pretend to still have my old wheels as far as my wife knows :cool:

Update: I have received an offer on a pair of Shimano WH-RS30 (including Michelin Lithion clinchers with inner tubes already on them) at US$ 500. I'm no expert, but isn't this very cheap? I thougt these wheels were priced somewhere around US$ 6-700 without tires...
It's my LBS that gave the offer, and I've got them reserved until tomorrow. They assure me that the WH-RS30 will manage my weight. Should I go for this deal?

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I would follow Roubaix's advice and talk to your local wheel builder. Christian had some good results

Christian Schneider said:
Then I came up with a pair of Dura Ace hubs and bought C2 rims from Hed. I had a wheel builder lace them and wow, what a difference. Bike climbs better, responds better. The total cost came to about $450. The builder did an exchange with me and charged only for the spokes. Couldn't be happier, except that the Fulcrums will be very hard to re-sell..folks are unloading NEW Fulcrums for $750 on eBay. Yeah, ya told me so!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
+8 or so to the hand-built recommendations. They can be as light, if not lighter, easier to maintain, cheaper/easier to replace separate parts. And the ride is amazing! Plus you can customize them a bit if that's your thing...

Of course, as someone has already mentioned, get to know the builder first. I think that is very important.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
One little/big point I've been mulling over that hasn't really been mentioned all that much, is.... standards. The standard spoke what you can find in every bike shop around the world that has wheel building capabilities and service is the stainless steel J bend spoke.

When dealing with wheel manufacturers, most offer low spoke count, straight pull spokes, some with spokes of proprietary design that may or may not benefit the structural integrity, power transfer, aerodynamics, weight savings, or ride quality whatsoever.

Much of the "new" technology perpetuated by some wheel manufacturers, is nothing new at all, it's old concepts dressed in a cheap red dress. Many engineers in the bike industry are becoming an extension of the marketing department, which is a travesty.

Making a wheel purchase, or any equipment purchase for that matter, you've got to take a critical look at what's actually being offered in the form of sound engineering, rather than based on appearance. Lots of candy out there, not all sweet though.

TRENDING THREADS