• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New women's world hour record

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I know the Hour isn't cheap to attempt, but I wonder if we'll get a flurry of women attempting it as we had seen amongst the men. It would be great exposure for Womens's racing.

This attempt cost ~$60k, not including pro-bono services from many involved. Rohan Dennis's hour cost about 50% more. Given the mostly amateur status of women and the limited budgets and wages, it's a big ask to devote a chunk of your season to it. It's a target that's beatable (at least more so than Wiggins' mark) and so I think the chance of more women doing the hour is better than for the men.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

twothirds said:
I know the Hour isn't cheap to attempt, but I wonder if we'll get a flurry of women attempting it as we had seen amongst the men. It would be great exposure for Womens's racing.

At my local velodrome several riders have created track hour record in 2015s including one woman. I expect more hour record attempts in 2016. (Cost is around $25.00 for members)

Note: one record was set on a B-Bike :eek:

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

avanti said:
twothirds said:

At my local velodrome several riders have created track hour record in 2015s including one woman. I expect more hour record attempts in 2016. (Cost is around $25.00 for members)

Any info on the cost of Bobridge's record? Running it in conjunction with a UCI level event I would assume mitigates a large portion of the administrative costs.

I truly have no idea, as I've never been involved, or close to an attempt. But then again, if a privateer like Obree can do it...

twothirds said:
avanti said:
twothirds said:

Any info on the cost of Bobridge's record? Running it in conjunction with a UCI level event I would assume mitigates a large portion of the administrative costs.

I truly have no idea, as I've never been involved, or close to an attempt. But then again, if a privateer like Obree can do it...
The requirements have changed substantially since Obree's time. There are a range of requirements to be met in order for an attempt to be sanctioned, e.g. many women are not part of the biopassport program, and that's ~$10k simply to start up right away plus you pay for the on day doping control as well. Then there are the track hire fees for the day and of course all the training sessions (solo track time is not cheap), paying for all the officials, the use of official timing systems and so on, cameras for webcast, flights and accommodation for rider and crew (this was not done at home town) for attempt and trial sessions....

Re:

twothirds said:

I don't know about the "great" exposure. "Even" Stevens is having a go, but no one seems to care very much.

winkybiker said:
twothirds said:

I don't know about the "great" exposure. "Even" Stevens is having a go, but no one seems to care very much.

Well, Even broke the record as expected. And still no-one seems to care.

winkybiker said:
winkybiker said:
twothirds said:

I care. I know what your saying and agree that she's not getting the exposure that she deserves.

I watched her break the record on the UCI Youtube channel.

Irondan said:
winkybiker said:
winkybiker said:
twothirds said:

I care. I know what your saying and agree that she's not getting the exposure that she deserves.

I watched her break the record on the UCI Youtube channel.

Yes, congratulations to her!

Track cyclists of both genders deserve our respect and appreciation. The "hour" is especially daunting.

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
A fine ride, well done and congratulations to Evelyn.

i didn't get to watch but I am very impressed. She was audacious enough to comment that she wanted to smash the record and she did just that. Fantastic!!!

TRENDING THREADS