• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

New world hour record : 3km improvement!!!

There're athletes over 80 yrs old who finished the Ironman in Hawaii. How about Ed Whitlock who ran a marathon in 3:15:53 at age 80? Why immediately suspect PED use? What pushes these older folks is the sense of accomplishment. Why ruin it by cheating?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Tonton said:
There're athletes over 80 yrs old who finished the Ironman in Hawaii. How about Ed Whitlock who ran a marathon in 3:15:53 at age 80? Why immediately suspect PED use? What pushes these older folks is the sense of accomplishment. Why ruin it by cheating?

Gives me something to work towards. There was a 71 or 72 yr old man who just did the Arrowhead 135. -24 F at the start - STATIC temp. There was wind, too. Temps went down to -30 during the race. That is serious ephing cold. It's a testament to the folks running the event and the competitors that they didn't have people in the hospital.

Pics here:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2014/01/28/sport/photos-arrowhead-135

and here:
http://45nrth.com/chronicles/post/jay-petervarys-arrowhead-135-victorty-in-photographs

I couldn't find the picture of the 70 yr old guy at the finish. It's out there somewhere.

Chapeau to Marchand! I hope I can contest his record someday.

the sceptic said:
Suspicious performance.

You say that because you think it's Christian Marchand who broke the record as announced by Poupou in his opening piece.

I also would have been surprised if it had been Christian :eek:

But no, it's not Christian, it's his younger brother, 102 y.o. Robert who accomplished that feat :D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
OMG! A 100 year old went a few km's further then he did the last time! Definitely a doper! Take away that record of his right now!
:rolleyes:

The guys 102 years old, It's about the accomplishment for him, not about money or winning or fame. Can't we just let him have his record instead of calling him out as a doper and taking a 3km improvement as proof of that?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
OMG! A 100 year old went a few km's further then he did the last time! Definitely a doper! Take away that record of his right now!
:rolleyes:

The guys 102 years old, It's about the accomplishment for him, not about money or winning or fame. Can't we just let him have his record instead of calling him out as a doper and taking a 3km improvement as proof of that?

Actually, I don't think anyone did call him a doper - except they started the thread in the clinic - so only by inference. Except the sceptic, but I think he was being sarcastic.

Maybe the thread should be moved.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The very act of creating the thread in the clinic implies that the threads purpose is suspecting him of doping. If that's not suppose to be the purpose then the thread should probably be moved to general IMO.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tonton said:
I bet that most 20yr olds can't ride 27K in one hour. That's an awesome performance.

I don't think that this info belongs to 'the clinic' though.

Mh i'm not so sure about those 20 yr olds but i agree, this isn't necessary clinic material.

Le breton said:
Move to general forum, please.

Whether or not it should be in the Clinic, the performance is remarkable and M. Marchand should be applauded.

The only possible Clinic issue is how could a man of this age reduce the record so substantially without PEDs? Other commentators have indicated that this result compares favourably or better than much younger cyclists.

I am not making the suggestion PEDs were involved. That would be sheer speculation as there is no evidence. No one else is making this assertion either so M. Marchand's performance should be taken at face value.

That being said the matter should be moved from the Clinic

List of records and charts.

UCI+Hour+Records.jpg

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
Whether or not it should be in the Clinic, the performance is remarkable and M. Marchand should be applauded.

The only possible Clinic issue is how could a man of this age reduce the record so substantially without PEDs? . . .

Let me see, he didn't cycle for 40 years, due to career issues. Took up cycling again at age 67. Set a record at age 100, because he had a special category CREATED JUST FOR HIM because he was 100 years old. Well.

Works for 2 years to improve his performance and does so.

Btw - did you know that the human body apparently STOPS aging at about 95 years of age? If you are robust and healthy at 95, science currently indicates you might be able to live forever? Obviously not the entire story, but an interesting field of investigation, no?

But he went out and did a "performance". Spends a couple years to improve that performance and does so. Nothing that needs EPO there, I think.

Alex Simmons/RST said:

Cool graph. Now, - when WOMEN of age 100 start TRYING to beat this record, I think we can predict from the graph that they WILL outperform Marchand - and future men who try to best Marchand's record. Of course, the women's movement has been predicting such results for at least 40 years now.

hiero2 said:
Let me see, he didn't cycle for 40 years, due to career issues. Took up cycling again at age 67. Set a record at age 100, because he had a special category CREATED JUST FOR HIM because he was 100 years old. Well.

Works for 2 years to improve his performance and does so.

Btw - did you know that the human body apparently STOPS aging at about 95 years of age? If you are robust and healthy at 95, science currently indicates you might be able to live forever? Obviously not the entire story, but an interesting field of investigation, no?

But he went out and did a "performance". Spends a couple years to improve that performance and does so. Nothing that needs EPO there, I think.

Cool graph. Now, - when WOMEN of age 100 start TRYING to beat this record, I think we can predict from the graph that they WILL outperform Marchand - and future men who try to best Marchand's record. Of course, the women's movement has been predicting such results for at least 40 years now.

I see you did not quote my post in context by leaving about 60% out. For those who did not read my post it is #15. What I said is the only possible issue for this story being in the Clinic was PEDs, but that there is no evidence of that and thus the story should be moved.

There is a lot of evidence that the present generation of early baby boomers will outlive the generations coming behind because of obesity, stroke and heart disease and environmentally caused cancers (diet etc.) which in the later generations could be a pandemic. So longevity should go up for awhile and then drop unless science finds some other way to live longer.

My source is my avatar, the ever ready McKenzie Brothers. Can't slag them!

Alex Simmons/RST said:

Very nice as always Alex.
However, as you certainly know very well, your graph would be more instructive if you had tried to estimate the power output. The extremes being 442 watts and around 80 watts (VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE).

BTW, MARCHAND'S max HR is 157. He did the event in the 130-140 range at 90% of his estimated max sustainable power.

His VO2 max was announced by Véronique Billat to be 38 ml/mn.kg, corresponding for a 50 kg person to about 1.9 liters O2 times 78 W/liter O2 = roughly 150 watts.

Of course, there is at least one big caveat, who knows what the mech. efficiency of that 102 y.o. might be?

38 ml at 102 years of age must be far far away in the tail of the distribution.

As for the women's performances, I have no doubt that Jeannie will be there in 2058 to easily top the 30 km mark:D

Le breton said:
However, as you certainly know very well, your graph would be more instructive if you had tried to estimate the power output. The extremes being 442 watts and around 80 watts (VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE).

Very rough indeed.

I know the wattage of three of the rides in the chart since I coach those riders.

As an example of the problem, there is more than 30% difference in absolute power output between two rides on that chart with less than 1% difference in distance covered.

IOW, aerodynamics play a huge role in this estimation.

I could better estimate their W/m^2, although I don't have the specific environmental data for all those rides to do so with any great level of precision. But really, that's no more instructive than simply looking at distance.

Estimating absolute wattage for those I don't have power data on then requires one to put their wetted finger in the air and guesstimate the rider's coefficient of aerodynamic drag x frontal area.

As you can see from the example I mentioned above, I'm not sure there really much point since the error bars would be very wide indeed.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
IIRC, on average, VO2max drops off after 30 by ~0.5-0.8% per year.

Tables from WAVA.org or from Helge Schroeter-Jensen (or Steker? spelling?) would probably support such drop off between the ages of 30 (or 40) and 60 or so.
But beyond 60-70 years of age the drop becomes much steeper.

hiero2 said:
when WOMEN of age 100 start TRYING to beat this record, I think we can predict from the graph that they WILL outperform Marchand - and future men who try to best Marchand's record. Of course, the women's movement has been predicting such results for at least 40 years now.

Well, that's a challenge for Jeannie Longo. She's getting close to 100, right :D? And the thread may belong to the clinic :p after all...

TRENDING THREADS