• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

News Corp - owners Team Sky and the Sunday Times...

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone read the article about Sky in The Times a couple of days ago.

Was reasonably critical of the team, if not to the extent of the Telegraph article, I would take it as evidence that there is no interest between Times and Sky cycling team.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Generally Murdoch extends little direct editorial control over the Times and Sunday Times - it is believed that he is of the opinion that their value lies in them being taken as serious papers by people who think that sort of thing matters, so to preserve their reputation he doesn't control the editorial line.

News Corp, Sky News, Fox News, the Sun and the Sun on Sunday, however are all very different. Don't expect much other than "Bradley Wiggins: muttonchopped hero" to come out of the Sun's newsroom.

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Casuals hit hard as one-fifth of jobs to go at Wapping (SJA, Friday 21st October, 2011)
The Times and Sunday Times are to cut up to 200 editorial posts – around 20 per cent of their journalists – as the newspapers aim to slash editorial costs by up to 15 per cent against a background of rising newsprint costs and disappointing ad revenues for the title’s iPad service.

It seems certain that the staff cuts will impact the sports desks of the papers, particularly at the Sunday title which is heavily dependent on casual subs and freelancers.

Kimmage and Hawkey cut from Sunday Times (SJA, Monday 14th November, 2011)

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
MartinGT said:
So you're saying they (The Times) got shut of him because it was too risky?

It's crossed my mind that:

a) Team Sky are likely the only high profile success News Corp (this side of the pond) have had to celebrate this last 12 month.

b) News Corp would be disinclined to have anyone from their own ranks (this side of the pond) questioning that success - let's face it, they're hardly short of enemies.

I can't for the life of me, think of any other reason why Kimmage would be dispensed with - given his anti-doping stance, and the ongoing USADA investigation (as it was).

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
pelodee said:
Casuals hit hard as one-fifth of jobs to go at Wapping (SJA, Friday 21st October, 2011)

Kimmage and Hawkey cut from Sunday Times (SJA, Monday 14th November, 2011)

20% and they cut the guy with his finger on the pulse? Appalling foresight at the very best.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
as above sunday times doesnt have a close link with sky pro cycling bar the ownership, plenty honest pieces on the sky issues.

ssshh, don't say that! people here like to believe murdoch controls the planet and thus all media regarding sky

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Velo_vicar said:
David Hands still works for Sunday times. He has done as much if not more than Kimmage in this.

I think you mean David Walsh? Hands is a rugby writer. Walsh has indeed led the charge on anti-doping, over many years - it was his material which led to LA sueing and winning against the paper in 2004 (?).

Walsh pretty much introduced Kimmage to journalism.