• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

News Corporation holds talks with World Series Cycling

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Track cycling is cheaper to televise and more exiting to watch,
maybe this idea by SKY can revitalize cycling and take it back
to the glorious times when 6-Day racing ruled the sports pages
and movie stars, musicians, politicians, and royalty all would be
it attendance track side to rub shoulders with the cycling stars.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Oh no, not Sky again!

Cult Classics said:
I also hope it doesn't happen. They are trying to turn cycling into F1 or something but it won't work. All these new 4-day stage races in particular just look terrible.

Verbruggen and McQuaid were intent on copying F1 but were too incompetent to succeed thank goodness. However, Sky are intent on gobbling up TV rights wherever they see a profit. Just like football and F1 which used to be free to air via the BBC we will end up having to pay exorbitant monthly fees to watch cycling on TV.

Already you can only see cycling on Eurosport via Sky, they will make it a sport that only those that can afford a Sky package can watch (peppered with many more advets than Eurosport). And they put the charges up whenever they feel like it. You have been warned.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
This is where cycling goes the way of the premier League, England's cricket team and F1. It'll be really good professional coverage...it will all be about the SKY money...and I won't be watching it (unless it's on some pirate internet feed). This is what I feared when SKY got involved with cycling. It makes me want to throw up.

But unlike premier league, cricket and F1, cycling outside of the Tour isn't that popular. I remember reading once that ASO uses part of the money they make with the Tour to make events like PN possible, indicating PN can't sustain itself. Which wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest. There just is no money to be made in cycling.

I would worry more about ASO making their own series than Sky doing it. Because cycling for the general public = Tour = ASO. As long as ASO isn't on board, a split off won't go anywhere.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate the idea of a media company organising races just to drive up sales. Do these guys have no feel for the traditions of the sport?

TRENDING THREADS