• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Next move = UCI

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What the UCI would like to do now and what they will do may be two different things.

I think they would like to accept the USADA bans and then launch the 'new era of clean cycling'. "We have learnt from the past" "in hindsight we should have done more" "Wiggans clean winner" "let's put the dark period behind us" etc.etc.

What information do Bruyneel or Armstrong have and are they threatening the UCI with exposing it? If Armstrong and Bruyneel are going down anyway there must be the temptation to bring McQuaid and Verbruggen with them.

Poor Pat and Hein just might be between a rock and a hard place, f**ked if they do and f**ked if they don't.

Couldn't happen to two nicer guys:D

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
possible opening for UCI?

I'd be funny if the UCI tried to nullify USADAs findings becauese the Reasoned Decision wasn't, in UCIs view, "promptly" delivered. An absurdity to be sure, but that's never stopped them in the past. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2012/10/14/lance-armstrong-usada-doping/1633195/

"By rule, USADA was required to "promptly" give its Reasoned Decision to UCI, the cycling's international federation. After receiving it, UCI has 21 days to appeal the sanctions to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland."

The UCI will do what they do best. Nothing. They are masters in doing nothing. They endorse the report via press release with a statement with a statement in regards “to looking towards the future and clean generation” etc. And be done with it. No truth and reconciliation. No other form of inquiry. They have little interest.

I think one thing that would have surprised the UCI is the public backlash. I don’t think they would have expected that the media would have turned so far and so fast. I think they believed the talking points from Armstrong would have got them through.

McBruggen must always consider the possibility that USADA has more conflict of interest information.

I can't see Lance with leverage. It's not like he's going to announce to the world that he lied to Oprah, and his next trick is to humiliate 70 yr old Hein Verbruggen...

The logical play for the UCI is, like hoggy says, to hunker down, weather the storm, and go back to business as usual. It is so logical, and consistent with past practice, that I can't believe they won't do it.

RR says Verbruggen is talking fight, and I can believe that. If the UCI does fight, it may be an indicator that Verbruggen really does own the UCI.

The UCI is not saying anything. That's the big thing for me. Even if they prevail on jurisdiction and SOL, they are still confronted by the worst doping scandal of all time--yet they remain silent. Nothing's going to change. The soap opera will continue.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Pazuzu said:
I'd be funny if the UCI tried to nullify USADAs findings becauese the Reasoned Decision wasn't, in UCIs view, "promptly" delivered. An absurdity to be sure, but that's never stopped them in the past. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cycling/2012/10/14/lance-armstrong-usada-doping/1633195/

"By rule, USADA was required to "promptly" give its Reasoned Decision to UCI, the cycling's international federation. After receiving it, UCI has 21 days to appeal the sanctions to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland."

This would be a suicide move. The only possible argument relating to the 'delay' in issuing would be if the delay materially affected any aspect of the outcome, or if any interested party was adversely affected as a direct result of the delay. ie USADA gamesmanship.

In the legal world, a few weeks is not a delay. Shlt divorce hearings go on for years.

Race Radio said:
The UCI may not have made it publicly clear but privately they indicate they will appeal on jurisdiction and perhaps SOL. This is driven by Verburggen, not McQuaid

I think it would be a great move as it would completely expose them. They have to announce by November 1st.

You have been right on almost everything, but I am glad you are wrong here. We don't need to know more. We know enough to know that he was a cheat, and finally the UCI is doing the right thing.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
IV
Chapter CONGRESS
Article 27
The Congress is the general meeting of members and the highest authority of the UCI.
Article 28
1. The statutory Congress shall be held annually.
2. The Management Committee may convene extraordinary Congresses. The Management Committee must convene an extraordinary Congress within two months of a request submitted to the Management Committee in writing by one fifth of the federations, stating the reasons and the agenda.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/g...bjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=MzQwNDA&LangId=1

Master50 said:
Does Armstrong go to CAS to appeal the UCI sanction? This is the last step to close the case.

Didn't he say he wouldn't challenge UCI's decision, as he felt they were the top of the ladder as far as doping organizations go?

Oh right wait, he "wont appeal" but then he will later. Wonderboy is a consistant pathological liar.

thehog said:
The UCI will do what they do best. Nothing. They are masters in doing nothing. They endorse the report via press release with a statement with a statement in regards “to looking towards the future and clean generation” etc. And be done with it. No truth and reconciliation. No other form of inquiry. They have little interest. I think one thing that would have surprised the UCI is the public backlash. I don’t think they would have expected that the media would have turned so far and so fast. I think they believed the talking points from Armstrong would have got them through.

This isn't about them having no interest, this is about McQuade trying to save his *** at this point. I didn't expect them to overturn USADA, and I don't know what delusional world Pat lives in, but he's still on the hot seat, and most likely will:

a) be forced to step down once more details of his involvement is released

b) deny deny deny like Wonderboy has, and then they'll fire him.

McQuade knows his *** is on the line, that's why you won't hear too much out of the guy now. He's a huge POS and a hypocrite to say the least. If you honestly believe those "donations" made by Wonderboy were infact "donations" and had nothing to do with the UCI kicking the 2002 samples, I would start to wonder about you.

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe the media didn't know the right buttons to push. Asking Mcquaid why he didn't take action when certain riders tried to come clean, or asking him why they never bothered to pursue Hamilton's story, or Floyd's story. It's a shame

TRENDING THREADS