• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali 2009 hit or miss?

I don't think you can call his season anything but successful. He's been in the top 10 of pretty much every stage race he's raced this year and has done so by riding offensively in almost all races the entire year.

Saying that his season is a disappointment would be to hold someone to an unrealistic standard especially for a guy that's still pretty young.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
#1. I think he is an exciting prospect and would love to be the Liquigas DS with him and Kruezinger on my roster. A fractured collarbone is a sad way to end the season, but that's racing and with a good rest he will hopefully come back bigger and better next year.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Shucks! Season over.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibalis-season-over-after-fractured-collarbone

Nibali: 2009 Hit or Miss...

1. A successful season for a pro developing into a real talent for the future - look out Contador! :D

2. A lot of promise but short on real delivery - another false dawn for a promising talent :(

Discuss...

180mm - you are not a teacher or a lecturer of some sort, are you ?

I love the last line - Discuss

It feels like being back at school again ... so class, here is your assignment - 3 pages, single line spacing, narrow margins, to be handed in by Friday.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Nibali was a consistent Top-10 finisher in many races, but lacks a big victory, like stage in GT or overall classification in one-week race.

Delicato said:
Nibali was a consistent Top-10 finisher in many races, but lacks a big victory, like stage in GT or overall classification in one-week race.

In that respect, not too dissimilar to Basso at Fasso.
Could swing either way and turn into either a top rung GC podium contender or a great hilly classics rider.

Whichever. I don't think he'll end up as an also ran.

ridley said:
180mm - you are not a teacher or a lecturer of some sort, are you ?

I love the last line - Discuss

It feels like being back at school again ... so class, here is your assignment - 3 pages, single line spacing, narrow margins, to be handed in by Friday.

I was hoping to get it by Thursday but if you really need an extension...

I was a teacher for 10 years but not anymore - it must be old habits die hard or something ;)

Mellow Velo said:
In that respect, not too dissimilar to Basso at Fasso.
Could swing either way and turn into either a top rung GC podium contender or a great hilly classics rider.

Whichever. I don't think he'll end up as an also ran.

+1

I think he has the potential to be alot like Basso and maybe with a bit more punch on the climbs. It would great if he were another talent to put alongside the likes of Schleck, Contador etc

I am a fan anyway

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Nibali really impressed me at the TdF. He stuck with many of the big guns on some of the more rigorous climbs. And he's still very young. Liquigas seems to have a pretty nice team at the moment, and loaded with young talent. I often think that the right environment is as important as ability when it comes to fostering results in the long run.

A

Anonymous

180mmCrank said:
+1

I think he has the potential to be alot like Basso and maybe with a bit more punch on the climbs. It would great if he were another talent to put alongside the likes of Schleck, Contador etc

I am a fan anyway

I like Nibali. I'm also a fan of his teammate Kreuziger. In fact Liquigas has some really good riders.

The Estonian kid Taaramae (Cofidis) looks like a future stage racing threat too.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Steampunk said:
Nibali really impressed me at the TdF. He stuck with many of the big guns on some of the more rigorous climbs. And he's still very young. Liquigas seems to have a pretty nice team at the moment, and loaded with young talent. I often think that the right environment is as important as ability when it comes to fostering results in the long run.

I kind of feel you either got it or you dont. There is no question Nibali is a good rider, second tier climber (first would be contador and andy schleck as of now). However, both contador and a. schleck achieved 1st, 2nd places when they were 24. Look at Kreuziger, best young rider 07, and nowhere in top ten this year. Nibali is good enough in the mountains, but needs to work on ITT.

TRENDING THREADS