• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali still a clean champion?

is Nibali cleans?

• Not sure, need more evidence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
What do we think? Maybe the sport hasn't been as clean in the past 3 years as some has led us to believe?

the UCI wants to get rid of the team with the most recent tour champion due to over the top doping. Try to let that sink in.

Why the "still"? The Astana thing changes nothing in regards to any particular rider, and we've had more than enough evidence of Nibali's doping for years.
the sceptic said:
the UCI wants to get rid of the team with the most recent tour champion due to over the top doping. Try to let that sink in.
It's not even the first time the above happens to Astana.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
Why the "still"? The Astana thing changes nothing in regards to any particular rider, and we've had more than enough evidence of Nibali's doping for years.

It's not even the first time the above happens to Astana.

But Nibali is clean to people who believe in new generations and doping stopping 10 years ago.

I wonder what those people have to say about this. The whole sky myth is built on the sport being clean so marginal gains can win. But if Nibali was doping all along then it's much harder to explain Froome and Wiggins isn't it.

Let's see if people with a "strong anti-doping agenda" will chime in.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
But Nibali is clean to people who believe in new generations and doping stopping 10 years ago.

I wonder what those people have to say about this. The whole sky myth is built on the sport being clean so marginal gains can win. But if Nibali was doping all along then it's much harder to explain Froome and Wiggins isn't it.

Let's see if people with a "strong anti-doping agenda" will chime in.

Would you like to just change the thread title and be done with it?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I fear he is not. After a brief flicker of light at the end of the tunnel with clean champions in 2012 and 2013 (and strong hints of cleanliness at early as the Vuelta 2011 and perhaps, for some riders, even the Tour 2009), I fear cycling was back to its star athletes using illegal performance enhancing drugs in 2014.

2015 looks however quite promising for clean cycling, with clean athletes having strong results in early stage races.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
I fear he is not. After a brief flicker of light at the end of the tunnel with clean champions in 2012 and 2013 (and strong hints of cleanliness at early as the Vuelta 2011 and perhaps, for some riders, even the Tour 2009), I fear cycling was back to its star athletes using illegal performance enhancing drugs in 2014.

2015 looks however quite promising for clean cycling, with clean athletes having strong results in early stage races.

So your position is the Tour took two years off from doping. Why those two years?

SeriousSam said:

Clean champion in 2011 as well, Wiggins said so
Nevermind the Mapei, Telekom or Phonak 2.0 connections or his 2007 season

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Other than the general question marks that have surrounded Astana since their foundation and the general questionable approach of the team I have never heard of any other allegation's against Nibali but given the team he is on I am probably being very na?ve in my thinking.

What exactly is he doing? EPO/Transfusions/Testosterone/Aicar/HGH?? Personally I felt he would win the Tour last year given the strength of his team but the dominant fashion he won it and the previous edition of the Giro by with his strength in the mountain's would raise some issues. In comparison to Froome and Contador he is more rounded, not as good a climber as Contador or TT'er than Froome, just solid at everything.

What Astana cyclists have or will be implicated in the Padova investigation??

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
SeriousSam said:

And who would you be referring to with the bolded? There should be a cover charge for this comedy club. :confused:

Let's pretend Nibs is clean, but then he has teammates all around him, that are sheltering him, saving him for that one last climb, and we already know that some of them are high octane, then is he really clean even if he was clean?

Nah, the unnatural advantage is just delivered via a different avenue.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
robow7 said:
Let's pretend Nibs is clean, but then he has teammates all around him, that are sheltering him, saving him for that one last climb, and we already know that some of them are high octane, then is he really clean even if he was clean?

It is more likely that he is surrounded with teammates that wish they could race clean, but realize needles and blood bags are a better option than the Kazak tire factory.

robow7 said:

So if Lemond's teammates were doping when they helped him, he wasn't really clean?

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
IMO he started juicing in 08/09 (Tour 2009 surely doped - third in Verbier behind thermonuclear Contador and Schleck).
Either that or first/second year as a pro. I don't think he is an " take everything what might make me faster" doper. He does what he has to.

Can sb win Gp Plouay clean? When do most professionals start doping? We don't know a lot about Nibali in that regard. There are no obvious connections.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a have to review my opinion. Why dope when you start winning some decent races like Settimana Coppi&Bartali (stage) or GP Ouest France in your second year? Most riders start when they don't win or to just stay in pro cycling.

TRENDING THREADS