• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali's post-TT urine sample

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Today's article http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/glass-half-full-for-nibali-after-besancon-time-trial says that

Such were Vincenzo Nibali's efforts in the Tour de France's first long time trial at Besançon on Monday that it took him over an hour and a half to produce a sample for doping control. When the Liquigas-Cannondale rider emerged sheepishly from the anti-doping cabin shortly after 7pm, he was greeted with ironic applause by the small group of reporters who awaited him.

"After such a short and violent effort like that it can be very difficult, it's lot easier after a five hour stage," Nibali said with an apologetic grin, as he sat aboard his time trial bike and began to pedal slowly towards his team car.

I don't recall hearing such a thing before. Is it purely coincidental (or even normal after such an effort), or might this be a way of circumventing the doping controls?

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
This could very well be normal. In a TT less than an hour long, you won't be drinking much. Longer stages will give you the opportunity to stay hydrated throughout the stage. Not peeing right away will not allow you to bypass doping control. You have a chaperone with you during the time period from crossing the line to giving the sample. Or he's potty-shy.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
means nothing, sometimes it takes a long time to 'produce a sample' immediately post-race in front of someone who is following you around

people who are subject to testing would be aware of this, no alarm bells here at all

I once was required to give a sample after a 5000m running race. It took a long time and i had to drink so much water that what i eventually passed apparently only just qualified as "urine". No worries from me at all.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not a rider myself so I figured I'd just ask a question about it since it's the first time I heard about it.

I had fleeting visions of him delaying the sample until the dope levels in his urine had decreased enough, or him waiting for a moment of inattentiveness of the attendant to rub some proteins on his member to destroy the sample. :p

But it seems that the most likely explaination is indeed nothing to worry about.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
Today's article http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/glass-half-full-for-nibali-after-besancon-time-trial says that

Such were Vincenzo Nibali's efforts in the Tour de France's first long time trial at Besançon on Monday that it took him over an hour and a half to produce a sample for doping control. When the Liquigas-Cannondale rider emerged sheepishly from the anti-doping cabin shortly after 7pm, he was greeted with ironic applause by the small group of reporters who awaited him.

"After such a short and violent effort like that it can be very difficult, it's lot easier after a five hour stage," Nibali said with an apologetic grin, as he sat aboard his time trial bike and began to pedal slowly towards his team car.

I don't recall hearing such a thing before. Is it purely coincidental (or even normal after such an effort), or might this be a way of circumventing the doping controls?
I rode for 1 and a half hour yesterday, 50 minutes 100%, and it took me 2 1/2 hours, on strong beer, a saddening Tour TT on the tele and a shower to take a ....

Not unusual I guess. Nibali rides 55 minutes 100% without a lot of drinking, that's a lot of fluid going out of your body.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I know that if I have done a 4x8 90%, 4x2 rest interval block I'm definitely not dehydrated (I drink during the rest), but I certainly have experienced trouble peeing afterwards. Not always, but yes, it happens.

Keep in mind he doesn't drink, and that he more than likely moved his perineum to the tip of the saddle which kinda does less than pleasant things to that region. Considering the effort he probably will feel that afterwards, not during the ride. I certainly imagine that doesn't help the pee-problem :eek:

So whatever I can say about nibbles, I personally think this is to be expected really. ;)

peein'

totally not unusual.
i was called to a doping control after a criterium that was equiv in length/duration to this time trial (it was an exhibition race, basically, but still sanctioned iirc). it took me 2+hrs to be able to provide a sample, and that was even while drinking fluids at the doping control station. of course, then once I pee'd finally, I couldn't stop peeing that night (owing to all of the fluid I stupidly drank in an attempt to provide the original sample lol).

In an unrelated situation, USADA once showed up to test me in the evening, literally about 5min after I'd pee'd (out of competition unannounced control, so it's not like they called first) and 5min before I was supposed to leave to meet a friend at the driving range (golf). It took 2.5hrs in that case to hyper-hydrate and force a sample out of me and needless to say the night was ruined lol. I remember being suuuuuch a d*ck too that I later wrote letters of apology to the DCO and the observer.

lol

TRENDING THREADS