• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nibali's sticky bottle

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What should Nibali get for his car antics on stage 2

• 2 minutes

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • Just a fine is enough, it's not his fault he crashed

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Short suspension

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Nothing (Vino option)

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 10 minutes ought to do it

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • DQ Nibali

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • DQ Nibali and his DS

Votes: 93 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Escarabajo said:
Eyeballs Out said:
I don't see why there is a distinction between hanging onto a car for 10 secs+ and hanging onto a bottle for 10 secs+. Same practical advantage

But anyway, was there any evidence Nibali was hanging onto the car ? From the video that was posted it was impossible to say, only that he was clearly hanging on to something
LOL.

The difference is about 20-40 mph. That's all.

?
If I hang on to a car doing 40 mph how fast am I going?
If I hang on to a bottle in a car doing 40 mph how fast am I going ?
That was the difference. In one there was a clear blatant acceleration. In the other, well, we are not sure.
In the first one you might say we did not see he was doing it with a bottle, but at that speed I bet he was hanging onto the car, otherwise he would be risking a major crash at that speed. Big difference. That's why it was inferred that he was holding onto a car. Besides they can ask the other riders who were standing behind and watching in shock.
I thought about the mechanics the first time that I saw it and then I drew my conclusion that He put his head down and hung onto the car. There was just too much speed. For how long? don't know but it was enough time on television to merit expulsion anyway. I bet it went for a lot longer than what he said. 150 m? no way.
Ah right. I wasn't really referring to the Bouhanni incident - just asking a more general question. I'd be surprised if Nibali was getting towed that long because the TV was more focused on his chase (which we saw a lot of) than they were with what was going on up front. I suppose Astana were watching the camera bike as well as the race officials

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Son of Amsterhammer said:
"but as the car continues to go off into the distance, to me at least, it does appear to be accelerating and going faster than the riders were seconds before. It's a judgement call though based on the video.

Ok, maybe a bit. Hardly a case of rocket rocket boosters though.

However the overall effect was certainly dramatic and I was surprised none of the commentators reacted - either in English or (so far as I could tell from pitch and intonation) in any other language.

Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
I don't see why there is a distinction between hanging onto a car for 10 secs+ and hanging onto a bottle for 10 secs+. Same practical advantage

But anyway, was there any evidence Nibali was hanging onto the car ? From the video that was posted it was impossible to say, only that he was clearly hanging on to something
This isn't meant to be harsh/rude, but if you'd ever tried to do what Nibs did in a similar situation (ie, mid-race, departing a group in full-flight and being towed to another), you'd know that it's all but impossible to achieve those results via a bottle as the contact point, and it's almost 100% certain that Nibali had direct contact w/ one of the car pillars or the door "frame" where the window would be if "up".

You just can't manage that acceleration when two arms are involved (yours + director's) plus a compressible water bottle that's probably wet & slippy and likely to explode when crushed into your palm as the driver punches it.

Even nudging the elbow in front of the wing mirror on driver's side would be laughably impractical in this situation. The only reasonable scenario is hand-to-car contact, and no pedaling, btw - just hang on for dear life!

(and yes, I've taken tows from cars and a bus even, and gotten away with it...but also been caught taking tows and ejected twice (but then reinstated once! lol).)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
NIbali is a dill; he should've got all the group he was in (leading) to grab onto the guy in front, the Astana car then accelerating (like it did) and no-one would have noticed the car dragging the group, even from the helicopter shot, would've look just like a group together accelerating, ja?

joe_papp said:
Eyeballs Out said:

This isn't meant to be harsh/rude, but if you'd ever tried to do what Nibs did in a similar situation (ie, mid-race, departing a group in full-flight and being towed to another), you'd know that it's all but impossible to achieve those results via a bottle as the contact point, and it's almost 100% certain that Nibali had direct contact w/ one of the car pillars or the door "frame" where the window would be if "up".

You just can't manage that acceleration when two arms are involved (yours + director's) plus a compressible water bottle that's probably wet & slippy and likely to explode when crushed into your palm as the driver punches it.

Even nudging the elbow in front of the wing mirror on driver's side would be laughably impractical in this situation. The only reasonable scenario is hand-to-car contact, and no pedaling, btw - just hang on for dear life!

(and yes, I've taken tows from cars and a bus even, and gotten away with it...but also been caught taking tows and ejected twice (but then reinstated once! lol).)
Thanks. Makes sense

TRENDING THREADS