• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Niki Terpstra thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm still slightly confused as to why people dislike him. I mean, describing him as a pain in the **** or a *** isn't doing much more than saying that one doesn't like him. Even claiming that he's selfish doesn't seem to be saying anything except that he rides to win (usually, rightly, considered a good quality) and that one doesn't like him. I mean, it's not as if he's afraid to put his nose in the wind.

http://www.cyclingquotes.net/news/terps ... verything/

„There shouldn't even be a discussion whether we should race [in such conditions]. It makes no sense.” Terpstra told AD. „If you design a course with a year and a half advance and place a finish in a ski resort at 1600 meters in March, could you expect snow? Is it really difficult to see it coming?”

„It's always the same with those organizers [RCS Sport]. They *** on everything. A few years back we rode Milano-Sanremo in a snow, then last year's Giro.”

facepalm.gif

Netserk said:
http://www.cyclingquotes.net/news/terpstra_tirreno_organizers_shit_on_everything/

„There shouldn't even be a discussion whether we should race [in such conditions]. It makes no sense.” Terpstra told AD. „If you design a course with a year and a half advance and place a finish in a ski resort at 1600 meters in March, could you expect snow? Is it really difficult to see it coming?”

„It's always the same with those organizers [RCS Sport]. They **** on everything. A few years back we rode Milano-Sanremo in a snow, then last year's Giro.”

facepalm.gif

Lmfao,but he's kinda right i can't contradict him.

Re:

the delgados said:
It's always fun to hear stories about arseholes in pro sports, and this is the first I've heard about Terpstra.
Good timing, too, because the first thought that came to mind when I saw his teammate chase him down in the finale of Het Volk (it will always be Het Volk to me) was that his teammates didn't like him. Really, there was no other explanation for what happened.
And that theory was basically confirmed when Lefevere said Stijn was trying to hang on to Terpstra's wheel when he came through to take a pull.
Yeah, right!

According to Holm Vandenbergh simply lost his ability to think clearly.

Sometimes, Terpstra does have genius interviews tho:

A Dutch journalist asked Terpstra about a tactical suggestion from Michael Boogerd that said if he wanted to have a chance, he had to attack before the final ascent of the Oude Kwaremont. Terpstra was quick to reply with a wink. “I read the headline and that was enough. It wasn’t a planned attack. I followed his advice and it’s proven once more that Michael knows exactly how someone can finish as runner-up,” Terpstra said.

Literally cried with laughter after reading this. This is genius

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Sometimes, Terpstra does have genius interviews tho:

A Dutch journalist asked Terpstra about a tactical suggestion from Michael Boogerd that said if he wanted to have a chance, he had to attack before the final ascent of the Oude Kwaremont. Terpstra was quick to reply with a wink. “I read the headline and that was enough. It wasn’t a planned attack. I followed his advice and it’s proven once more that Michael knows exactly how someone can finish as runner-up,” Terpstra said.

Literally cried with laughter after reading this. This is genius

Brilliant quote. Something he said after yesterday`s race?

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Terpstra isn't much of a *** or arrogant, it's more that he is a bit of a petty person. He always reminds me of the kid that has always been pampered and can't take any form of criticism and/or sees criticism everywhere. I don't really get his attitude - he has always been really childish towards Rabobank and their (Dutch) riders too - because he achieved more than most others and got there by choosing his own path entirely, which is admirable. But still he whines a lot (I must admit, his accent makes everything look a bit whinier than it might be and that's obviously not his fault) and points his finger at futile things, when a rider of his talent doesn't need all that. But maybe he uses all these things as some sort of fuel to improve himself, I don't know.

Sometimes - like in the quote in Dekker_Tifosi his post - he is really funny and when he is relaxed he is a pretty nice guy actually. And even though sometimes he talks huge bs, he is not afraid to speak his mind. But someone like Lars Boom isn't afraid to do so as well, but always seems focused more on himself than on others (when Boom crashes it's part of the race and most likely his own fault and when Terpstra crashes it's someone else's mistake - preferrably someone 17 minutes behind). Plus he was always trolling Niels Albert, which obviously makes him a hero.

I became a Terpstra fan during his Milram years. The image that I had of him then was toally different than the way people see him now.

He was always smiling before the races, he had humour and was ready to share his experience with the fans. I would often visited his off website by then. He would share some long articles about each race he raced, he would give his opinion about controversial topics, I was pleased to see that he was a die-hard opponent to race radios (though he uses it but reluctantly I guess) and then he would often criticise race organisations, especially ASO during the Tour of France (think it was in 2009). Supposedly the best organisation of the world, and then with his camera he showed how his Milram bus was caught up in a traffic jam. I was rubbing my hands and laughing my head off. :p

I also read an article about how proud he was to keep away from Rabobank in his youth and that it taught him how to fight. He is surely not a pushover and does not treat himseld like sh*t. He might be obnoxious at time but I don't think he's the bad guy that people say he is but since he transferred to QS, I've followed him less closely. And as a rider he's surely among the best these days and honours the sport. I mean combining road with Sixes, deserves hats off.

TRENDING THREADS