• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ninja of the Tour

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My pick of Uran has also eliminated himself.

We have:
Buchmann (Hugo Koblet)
Landa (Squire) @ 0:18
Talansky (18 Valve) @ 0:28
G Martin (Kazistuta) @ 0:58
Henao (The Pirate81) @ 1:03
Bennett (Rote Laterne) @ 1:05
Caruso (Ratta Kuningas) @ 1:06
Kreuziger (Geraint Too Fast) @ 1:12
Betancur (Martin) @ 1:48
Mollema (Hakkie2) @ 3:54
Barguil (Silver Grenade) @ 3:55
Pantano (Blues in the Bottle) @ 4:23
Zubeldia (Vladimir) @ 7:47
Howson (Del) @ 11:39
Felline (Ruby United) @ 14:20

Already out:
Benoot (Klint E) (St 4, top ten)
Bakelants (Laarsland) (St 5, break)
Uran (Armchair Cyclist) (St 5, top ten)

(Thanks to Shalgo for the correction, included in a later edit)

PCS have declined to list those comprising the break on the last two stages, even after the several dozen were reduced to something more worthy of listing.

On the first rest day we have a top three who none of us picked:
Meintjes @ 1:54
Latour @ 2:24 *
Nieve @ 3:12

Henao (The Pirate81) @ 3:49
Caruso (Ratta Kuningas) @ 3:52
Buchmann (Hugo Koblet) @ 5:40 *
Betancur (Martin) @ 7:28 *
Mollema (Hakkie2) @ 19:49 *
Pantano (Blues in the Bottle) @ 19:59 *
Talansky (18 Valve) @ 26:05
Zubeldia (Vladimir) @ 33:24
Howson (Del) @ 54:39
Felline (Ruby United) @ 1:11:37

Already out:
G Martin (Kazistuta) (St 8, top ten)
Kreuziger (Geraint Too Fast) (St 8, top ten)
Barguil (Silver Grenade) (St 9, top ten)
Bennett (Rote Laterne) (St 9, top ten)
Landa (Squire) (St 9, top ten)

*: I'm fairly sure these were too visible on stages 8/9 to truly be ninjas, especially as three of them were constantly being announced by commentators as virtual leaders, but I'll abide by the criteria I gave in the OP of PCS breakaway listing.

(edited: thanks for the heads ups)

Re:

klintE said:
I don't think Nieve is more visible than Talansky, Henao or Buchmann. But it's subjective. Stick to the rules.

That's why I didn't asterisk Nieve.

But the presence of those I did asterisk in breaks, and the amount of screen time and commentary mention they had, mean that I am not very confident in PCS as the definition of low profile.

Caruso, in perhaps one of the best ever performances

Edit: didn't see the change in rules, I thought it was just not finishing top 10. I think Buchmann or Vuillermoz then. I don't remember seeing Buchmann in a break, but Vuillermoz I think got in one or two.

Edit#2: Well, Vuillermoz isn't officially listed as ever being in a break, so I guess he wins. But I saw him far too often. I think Buchmann deserves it more. He's never listed on pcs either. I missed both the Jura stages so I don't know whether that's accurate.

Only 4 selected finishers, using PCS's listing of who was in a break (maybe we should exclude breaks of more than about 12 riders in future)
15th: Buchmann (Hugo Koblet)
28th: Henao (The Pirate81)
52nd: Zubeldia (Vladimir)
88th: Howson (Del) @ 54:39

PCS were rather inconsistent: Buchmann was not only in a break on stage 8 (or was it 9?), but PCS didn't list a large break, although he was frequently picked out by commentators that day and (mis-)identified as virtual leader. Henao was visible, but mainly as riding within, but never at the front of, the Skytrain. Zubeldia came to the front today for his swansong appearance, but without really breaking his disguise. Some members of the Orica staff might have noticed the existence of Howson: I didn't.

Eliminated:
G Martin (Kazistuta) (St 8, top ten)
Kreuziger (Geraint Too Fast) (St 8, top ten)
Barguil (Silver Grenade) (St 9, top ten)
Bennett (Rote Laterne) (St 9, top ten)
Landa (Squire) (St 9, top ten)
Felline (Ruby United) (St 14, DNF)
Caruso (Ratta Kuningas) (St 15, break)
Mollema (Hakkie2) (St 15, top ten)
Pantano (Blues in the Bottle) (St 17, break)
Betancur (Martin) (St 18, break)
Talansky (18 Valve) (St 18, break)