• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Campers for Pro Riders

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
It is an advantage that is not allowed and I think is good...It is almost impossible that money dont give an advantage, so as lees advantage are for money, for me better.

As well that hotels must get money for cycling, so that way towns pay.

Dude, no offense but your posts read like Im talking to a chick in Bangkok

Re: Re:

Boeing said:
Taxus4a said:
It is an advantage that is not allowed and I think is good...It is almost impossible that money dont give an advantage, so as lees advantage are for money, for me better.

As well that hotels must get money for cycling, so that way towns pay.

Dude, no offense but your posts read like Im talking to a chick in Bangkok

close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwIEUflY6YI

Re:

avanti said:
As a frequent traveler I hate sleeping in a different bed each night (some are comfortable, some are uncomfortable, some are dirty, some are clean. Perhaps tour riders need to supply their own mattresses (I have a very nice inflatable air mattress that is portable that I use in my van).

Quick-Step does (or at least did) that. One of their sponsors is Latexico a bed company. Each rider gets their personal mattress to sleep on each night. It seems logistically tough, but if they get results, its worth it.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
Christian said:
Hotel availability does seem to be a bit of a problem in some areas, when you gotta find rooms for 200 riders, plus staff, plus race organization, plus press, plus caravane publicitaire... can be kinda tough

But anyway is not a big problem.

Its not a big problem for anyone except the riders. Anyway I should think staying in a motor home can be just as noisy and even more of a landfill site.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Campervan man said:
http://imgur.com/hlJejx0

At Sir Daves house today
What a monstrosity. :eek: Glad the UCI banned it. You just know if they didn't then Team Sky would rock up with 9 of those next year. And then the other rich teams would do the same... soon the Tour moves around like Formula One.

Great username btw.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

goggalor said:
Campervan man said:
http://imgur.com/hlJejx0

At Sir Daves house today
What a monstrosity. :eek: Glad the UCI banned it. You just know if they didn't then Team Sky would rock up with 9 of those next year. And then the other rich teams would do the same... soon the Tour moves around like Formula One.

Great username btw.

Ta, the van is awesome though! I lived in mine for a year and could've parked it in that ones garage! But seriously no preferential treatment for teams is my opinion. It's unfair on the smaller teams. What's it doing in England with a Belgium reg plate? It's not like Sir Davey has time to weekend away in the Peak District. Scratches head...

Having read through this thread, there seems to be only one solution. Bring back the cyclists' dormitory in which camp beds are laid out army style and everybody sleeps in the same dormitory/unused warehouse/aircraft hangar/meadow under the stars to ensure a level playing field and that cyclists do not lose touch with the average fan/common man/homeless vagrant/etc.

Re:

wirral said:
Having read through this thread, there seems to be only one solution. Bring back the cyclists' dormitory in which camp beds are laid out army style and everybody sleeps in the same dormitory/unused warehouse/aircraft hangar/meadow under the stars to ensure a level playing field and that cyclists do not lose touch with the average fan/common man/homeless vagrant/etc.

I used to do a stage race like that, and it was pretty fun, daily suffer-fest aside! The local Grange, church, or 4-H would make amazing food for us each night as well. The only stage race where I gained weight! :p

Campervan man said:
Electress said:
Are you seriously telling me that Dave Brailsford's house?

Yep it sure is. He's been in it for 2 years roughly.

Geez. Margo Leadbetter moved out, then? :eek:

Pricey_sky said:
Brailsford just said they will still be taking the motorbike but using it for staff instead of riders so they can keep most of the team together.

Sounds like he took out a long term hire contract to me…staff need sleep for marginal gains too?

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site

Electress said:
Campervan man said:
Electress said:

Pricey_sky said:
Brailsford just said they will still be taking the motorbike but using it for staff instead of riders so they can keep most of the team together.

Sounds like he took out a long term hire contract to me…staff need sleep for marginal gains too?

This ones out of her league even ! He's been there from new a cool £1.5m and there's a basement as big as the house, with an oxygen chamber amongst other things. Amazing what Murdoch's dirty pounds will buy you.

Campervan man said:
Electress said:
Campervan man said:
Electress said:

Pricey_sky said:

This ones out of her league even ! He's been there from new a cool £1.5m and there's a basement as big as the house, with an oxygen chamber amongst other things. Amazing what Murdoch's dirty pounds will buy you.

I'm beginning to worry about how much you know about this house, Campervan Man :eek:
But what a waste of £1.5Mn to spend it on Suburban Tudorbethan!

And doesn't it make you laugh…ole Sir Dave undermining 'the spirit of the rule' and rolling up with the RV anyway. He felt rather differently about the 'spirit of the rules' in the Giro, if I remember correctly? Haven't Sky worked out this stuff does not make them popular? Surely even fans are a little embarrassed by this things reappearance? Still, it does mean my bold predictions wrt to how fans treat the thing may still come to pass, which is something.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
José Been ‏@TourDeJose 44m44 minutes ago
Interesting news from NOS that SKY personnel sleeps in the RV's (campers) and that all riders have room to themselves (via Wout Poels/NOS)

from my own experience, much better for recovery

so if there is a will there's a way too

So all this talk way back when, but now both Sagan at the Tour, and Roglic at the Vuelta (Audio @ 6:00) have branded campers following them around (though deemed to be different degrees of Kosher by the ASO, apparently). They are just for chilling with the family, though, not overnight rider stays, ostensibly.

I agree with the rule, even though there are evident difficulties in terms of policing it. As with most rules, there will always be a grey area. And I actually think its endearing to have your family follow you throughout the Vuelta. But I also can't help but think that amidst the public uproar that Skyneos struck then, the proof of concept seemed to be somewhat validated in the view of the broader WorldTour community. Second-mover advantage indeed.

Oh, what an old thread resurrected... Having slept in a number of different hotels during my vacation and travel I can very well imagine why a tired pro rider wishing to find a good night's sleep would opt for a separate camper...

My personal opinion is that it is becoming more and more difficult to find a "perfect" hotel, in which you wouldn't hear voices from another room or sounds from another bathroom, sounds from the corridor, sounds of the traffic or an A/C fan from outside, feel smell from a nearby kitchen, in which the bed would not be too hard or too soft, which would have dark curtains on the windows... It takes me ages to make sure that the hotel I am booking is least prone to any of the above and there were many hotels to which I hopefully never return because it was difficult to have a good sleep in them.

And now during a race you are put in a random hotel in which you would maybe never stay as a tourist and you are expected to properly recover and win the next day, but due to some distraction you can not sleep well, so naturally you are not happy. I hope the hotels at least during the TdF are good enough but I recall stories of the riders that even during the biggest races you can be assigned rather poor hotel.

It is interesting that finding a better place to sleep was ruled as forbidden while finding a better place to eat (i.e. bringing your own chef and even mobile kitchen) is accepted. I think it should be riders' right to refuse to sleep in the assigned hotel, if they do not find it adequate.

TRENDING THREADS