• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No full results anymore? and spoilers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hello.
I'm very disappointed for the new webdesign of the site for some particular reasons. First of all, when you get on the homepage, you have the surprise to see the rider who won the race. If you're a fan like me that wathcing the races from highlight videos or on youtube a few hours later the live races, you get a crunch in your face to see spoilers like that on homepage.

Secondly, where are the full results?? it's a joke? only the then first riders on the line, GC or points.. If lance armstrong, contador or one of the favorites or simply a normal rider we have fun to follow hit the line behind top 10, we'll have a big problem. And how to know which riders do not start the day or DNF without full results? How to know what's the gap between many little groups at the line after the top 10?

Where's the thumbnails for the race pictures? i only see an horizontal scrolling patent to navigate through the picture. That sometimes lag and the pictures preview are very small.

I love to see when a site do effort to improve their image but i think it's a ''fail''. How do complicated with something who was simple and effective?

If you could offer the old version as choise that would be great.

Thanks to read me.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
some good, some bad..

CyclingNews.com said:
Hello.
I'm very disappointed for the new webdesign of the site for some particular reasons. Firstly, when you get on the homepage, you have the surprise to see the rider who won the race. If you're a fan like me that wathcing the races from highlight videos or on youtube a few hours later the live races, you get a crunch in your face to see spoilers like that on homepage.

Secondly, where are the full results?? it's a joke? only the then first riders on the line, GC or points.. If lance armstrong, contador or one of the favorites or simply a normal rider we have fun to follow hit the line behind top 10, we'll have a big problem. And how to know which riders do not start the day or DNF without full resorts? How to know what's the gap between many little groups at the line after the top 10?

Where's the thumbnails for the race pictures? i only see an horizontal scrolling patent to navigate through the picture. That sometimes lag and the pictures preview are very small.

I love to see when a site do effort to improve their image but i think it's a ''fail''. How do complicated with something who was simple and effective?

If you could offer the old version as choise that would be great.

Thanks to read me.

The results are all there... you have to click the down arrow. Don't know how that will show up on the b-berry. Annoying, though. And a cycling website professional should know that on a flattish stage, showing the first 10 is silly. It should default to everyone. Further, on many stages of big races, the top 10 are stage seakers, and not GC contenders anyway...

A

Anonymous

the spoilers are just a massive no no... hate them...

wont be coming here during the day until ive seen highlights or last 5k :(

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Let me cast another vote against the way results are displayed. I preferred being able to see all results simply by scrolling down. Having to click another link to see results beyond the top ten is a time-consuming PITA. Using two lines to report a rider's results instead of 1 seems unnecessary. Also, today at least, you can't see the third digit for those placing outside the top 99. I've been following this site since it started, so I'll get used to the new design, but please bring back the old style of results reporting.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spoilers!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr

I'm not sure people will be happy that the stage winner is shown on the main page of Races & Results. One of the most enjoyable things for me is to read the live report and see how the race plays out, but if you have the winner's name shown, then the excitement is over. Please make us click on the race to see results.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Let me make sure I get this right.

You don't want to know who won a particular race, so you go to a cycling website that is trying to provide up to date news....

...and you are disappointed that you find out who the winner is.

Have I missed something.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the new site yet. It is definitely brighter and sharper, but I did find the old site very simple to see the latest news as it came in. Maybe I just need to get used to it. So for now I am willing to put up with it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
A long time CN reader who joined forums today so I could comment on the new site. Have to say I am disappointed with these changes.

I agree with the previous comments - I don't like seeing spoilers either. One of the reasons the old page was so good is that you could avoid seeing a result until such time as you wanted to know it (for example after reading the live report).

The old "1 page has everything" results were great and the 1 rider per line text format was much easier to read than this new one. The actual numerical placings on the LHS are not displaying in my browser (although this could be a setting problem).

I also had a lot of trouble with the race website for the Tour de Suisse. No Start lists or stage profiles anymore and when I tried to click on Report/Results/Overall, it came up with the report and nothing else. Checked the Dauphine site to see if there were start lists and profiles there? Nope!

You also have to scroll down further on the new version to see recent races as the fonts are larger. I preferred the old way.

Things may improve cyclingnews, but all in all, I think you have gone for flashiness at the expense of the things that made you the greatest. I will add my vote to those who want the old format restored.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Need an option to use the 'old format'

Having this option would allow time for us to "transition" while the bugs are worked out. I especially miss the "faded out" links (after you click on them) so you can easily see the links you have already visited.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
Let me make sure I get this right.

You don't want to know who won a particular race, so you go to a cycling website that is trying to provide up to date news....

...and you are disappointed that you find out who the winner is.

Have I missed something.

I am not sure if I like or dislike the new site yet. It is definitely brighter and sharper, but I did find the old site very simple to see the latest news as it came in. Maybe I just need to get used to it. So for now I am willing to put up with it.

You are missing everything! Dude, the site lists out (or used to) the live report of the race and links to the results all with pictures of last years winner of that race. So you could go to the site anytime and know who won then proceed to read either the live report and get the full race as it happened till the end and see who won when the race ended. Then you could go to the results page to read the summary and full results and pictures. As the real races are in Europe in their time zones where maybe some of us are actually asleep or just getting up for our day. That means we could go about our business and then read the race when we had time. We could also go to the site and read a few blurbs on tech or something else without being blasted with the winner so we could still read the race later when we had more time.

As it is now, the winner is blasted on the front page and well its ruined for many. So the easy solution is don't go to the site right? Right! So we don't go to it and the site does not get the hit counts for their advertisers and less money for them and less money to pay reporters (are you reading reporters wanting to get paid), so the reporters get jobs else where because they have bills to pay and well free reporting only takes you so far. Less money less chances to send reports to the races for the live feeds and yet even less clicks due to no race live feeds.

Do I need to go on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS