• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No LA for Leadville... Wiens or Levi?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
According to CyclingNews, our friend is not going to do anything till 2012 !! Maybe he will plan a comeback then and do the triple :p

Link here

Disagree

TahoeNL said:
Bummer no LA - he would of made it interesting...

Lance was in no condition to get a top-3. More faded glory. I have to wonder if there were appearance fees on the table and how no Pharmstrong affects the dynamics of the recent purchase.

I don't think a Mountain biker will win it. Off-road riders critical of the event consider it physically tough, but technically easy. UCI roadies have the best chance of winning.

I took a look at the start list and was startled at the ages. I don't know how the sport will survive with an aging population.

Ridley, I read the same thing you did. I double-checked the link and found they had eliminated the mention of 2012.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ridley said:
According to CyclingNews, our friend is not going to do anything till 2012 !! Maybe he will plan a comeback then and do the triple :p

Link here

Ahhh - they saw the typo and fixed it !! (But I still hate to quote myself !!! )

This race is really looking up.

DirtyWorks said:
I took a look at the start list and was startled at the ages. I don't know how the sport will survive with an aging population.

Cycling in the U.S. is a sport for the middle aged. That is just how it is. It does not affect Triathlon that much. In fact it might help. That demographic has the money to spend on overpriced gear.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget your purse, Nancy!!

Crush the field by a thundering 7% margin in'09, then don't even show up for the party at the last minute? WTF over? Lancy-boy mysteriously and suddenly lost a 5-10% advantage over the rest of the field somehow? Hmm.....

Bad hip is the excuse? Puhleeaaaaase!!! Up until yesterday all Lancy-boy did was trash-tweet garbage such as:

"Saw Pike's Peak. Leapt over it in single bound. Yawn."

"Stared at new badass Trek too long. Melted it. Oops."

Lancy, you are LAME!!!!

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I was in the Colorado rockies this past weekend. Saw a trophy mansion with three flags flying on a flag pole: on top was American Flag, second flag was Texas, below that was Colorado flag. Kind of arrogant to do that in any state, I thought. I wonder how that would go over if the same scenario were in Texas (i.e. have the Texas flag below whatever state the 2nd homeowner were from)?

On a side note: after watching the Leadville race movie from last year, LA’s performance flying up the Powerline climb on the return last year while Weins slowly pushed his bike up looked way suspicious. Couple that with the fact he is not racing this year and blaming a hip that didn’t stop him from trying (and failing) to go for a selfish stage win at this year’s TDF. I don’t buy this excuse. More likely a way to save face so he doesn’t get his now un-doped @$$ handed to him by this year’s contingent. Call my cynical if you will, but I didn’t get this way overnight….

OK, maybe I am wrong. Maybe he is still reveling in the glory of the win in the team classification from the TDF this year.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll be glad when the douchebag just drops off the map completely so maybe folks will have something contructive to discuss instead of the constant hugfest/hatefest that is going on everywhere.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Kodiak said:
I'll be glad when the douchebag just drops off the map completely so maybe folks will have something contructive to discuss instead of the constant hugfest/hatefest that is going on everywhere.

Actually, the race looks good this year with Todd Wells, Dave Weins, Bishop, and JHK.
My pick: JHK, but it could be close. I predict a believable winning performance and no "superman" antics from the winner crushing the rest of the field like last year...

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Kodiak said:

concur and in reality they are the same people: different opinion but both believe deep down that this debate makes them a part of Pro Cycling and closer to the core...........tuuls

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
not part of NUE

Anybody know why this race isn't part of the National Endurance Series? Is it too easy?

It'd be interesting to see how Jeff Schalk stacks up against this field, since he seems to do well at all the other 100mile MTB races in the US.

biokemguy said:
Anybody know why this race isn't part of the National Endurance Series? Is it too easy?

Too easy. By "easy" I mean the route described as mostly service roads. Bad service roads in places, but nothing like long, hard, single track. The altitude and amount of climbing is the biggest part of the challenge.

DirtyWorks said:
Too easy. By "easy" I mean the route described as mostly service roads. Bad service roads in places, but nothing like long, hard, single track. The altitude and amount of climbing is the biggest part of the challenge.

Yup. A good portion of the riders at Leadville would be unable to finish on a "real" 100 mile course with technical single track. In many ways it is the perfect course for what the race has become: An epic race for the masses who cannot really handle a true epic race. The altitude and climbing makes it hard, but not so hard that your average roadie cannot spend a little time on dirt and finish.

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Imagine: LA gets time, Leadville strip him of the 2009 win, Dave Weins becomes a '7x winner' Wouldn't that just eat at you in your prison cell?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
has anyone here done the race before?
Based on Brodeal's post, I am assuming he has (?)
If so, whay are your impressions?
What other 100-mile MTB race do you you like better??

and on another topic:

AnythingButKestrel said:
Up until yesterday all Lancy-boy did was trash-tweet garbage such as:

"Saw Pike's Peak. Leapt over it in single bound. Yawn."

I wonder why he would say something as stupid/random/cocky as this?

Could it have something to do with knowing he would not be involved with this ?
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=10578

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Deagol said:
has anyone here done the race before?
Based on Brodeal's post, I am assuming he has (?)
If so, whay are your impressions?
What other 100-mile MTB race do you you like better??

and on another topic:

I wonder why he would say something as stupid/random/cocky as this?

Could it have something to do with knowing he would not be involved with this ?
http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=10578

I was being facetious. LA *was* tweeting up a storm with how he was knocking out all these *****in' climbs, etc. and posting his times. So, to see a headline announcing his withdrawal after enduring all that nonsense was...let's just say...f'ing irritating. If you're gonna talk that kind of smack, at least show up for the party.

I'll be happy when he falls off the face of the earth too. I'll take the hint and quit posting about LA. Just talking about the guy gives him credibility he doesn't deserve.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
I was in the Colorado rockies this past weekend. Saw a trophy mansion with three flags flying on a flag pole: on top was American Flag, second flag was Texas, below that was Colorado flag. Kind of arrogant to do that in any state, I thought. I wonder how that would go over if the same scenario were in Texas (i.e. have the Texas flag below whatever state the 2nd homeowner were from)?

On a side note: after watching the Leadville race movie from last year, LA’s performance flying up the Powerline climb on the return last year while Weins slowly pushed his bike up looked way suspicious. Couple that with the fact he is not racing this year and blaming a hip that didn’t stop him from trying (and failing) to go for a selfish stage win at this year’s TDF. I don’t buy this excuse. More likely a way to save face so he doesn’t get his now un-doped @$$ handed to him by this year’s contingent. Call my cynical if you will, but I didn’t get this way overnight….

OK, maybe I am wrong. Maybe he is still reveling in the glory of the win in the team classification from the TDF this year.
How surprising. I would have thought being Lances' crib it would be texas usa france colorado.
Only 1 reason he don't ride leadville. Floyd refuses to share.

TRENDING THREADS