• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No one can do the double!

Do people finally get it? It can’t be done, not in this age when riders target one GT specifically. Certainly not by Contador, and based on 2012, when he did the Tour/Vuelta, I’d say not Froome, either. Froome was smart enough to realize that, Contador either was in denial about this, or rode the Giro because he wasn’t confident about winning the Tour, even without the Giro. Take your pick.

2011, when Contador was younger and stronger, should have convinced everyone that it wasn’t possible, but a lot of people here remained in denial. They said Contador didn’t specifically prepare for the double that time. How do you prepare differently for the double? You have to win the Giro, which means your preparation up to that point can’t be very different regardless of whether you are targeting only that race, or that and the Tour. Maybe you can go a little easier in the Giro if you have a big lead over easy competition, but it’s not going to be a training ride. The only period of time where preparation might be different is between the Giro and the Tour, but how much can be different there? If you target only the Giro, you rest for the month after it. If you’re riding the Tour, too, you still rest most of that month.

Another reason given why this year would be different was because Contador crashed twice in the 2011 TDF, losing time and possibly some form. Point taken. But that time loss did not make the difference between winning and not winning. It might have kept him off the podium, but then, several other podium contenders crashed out of that race: Wiggo, Vino, Horner, e.g. Take away those crashes by Contador, but keep those other riders in the race, and Contador might have finished even lower, no way would he have won the race.

Contador is a great rider. Had he not ridden the Giro, it still looks as though Froome would be unbeatable in this Tour, but Alberto likely would have been his strongest challenger. As it is, he’s going to struggle mightily just to podium.

Re:

King Boonen said:
Could Froome do it?

The parcours have changed a lot too since those days. A lot less TT miles and more climbing.

The Giro / Tour Double? I very much doubt it.

The Tour / Vuelta is possible, as most of the competition will have already ridden another GT. I mean Cobo won it one year, I think if he prepares fully and is able to recover Froome could beat that level in the Vuelta. But if Landa comes back fully recharged it might be to much, as Froome just won't be able to recharge.

There's aerobic fitness, anaerobic fitness, but is there a literature on the kind of fitness required for recovery within and between efforts like GTs? eg recovering from the effects of sustained multiweek high efforts?

Merckx index said:
Do people finally get it? It can’t be done, not in this age when riders target one GT specifically. Certainly not by Contador, and based on 2012, when he did the Tour/Vuelta, I’d say not Froome, either. Froome was smart enough to realize that, Contador either was in denial about this, or rode the Giro because he wasn’t confident about winning the Tour, even without the Giro. Take your pick.

2011, when Contador was younger and stronger, should have convinced everyone that it wasn’t possible, but a lot of people here remained in denial. They said Contador didn’t specifically prepare for the double that time. How do you prepare differently for the double? You have to win the Giro, which means your preparation up to that point can’t be very different regardless of whether you are targeting only that race, or that and the Tour. Maybe you can go a little easier in the Giro if you have a big lead over easy competition, but it’s not going to be a training ride. The only period of time where preparation might be different is between the Giro and the Tour, but how much can be different there? If you target only the Giro, you rest for the month after it. If you’re riding the Tour, too, you still rest most of that month.

Another reason given why this year would be different was because Contador crashed twice in the 2011 TDF, losing time and possibly some form. Point taken. But that time loss did not make the difference between winning and not winning. It might have kept him off the podium, but then, several other podium contenders crashed out of that race: Wiggo, Vino, Horner, e.g. Take away those crashes by Contador, but keep those other riders in the race, and Contador might have finished even lower, no way would he have won the race.

Contador is a great rider. Had he not ridden the Giro, it still looks as though Froome would be unbeatable in this Tour, but Alberto likely would have been his strongest challenger. As it is, he’s going to struggle mightily just to podium.

Contador has at least won a Giro/Vuelta double in the past whereas Froome has struggled in his last two Vueltas. Froome looks immense when he's able to peak for a specific race, but if his form is even slightly off he looks quite beatable. I wouldn't rule it out if he happened upon weak fields, but I don't think Froome could do the double with fields like Contador faced this time.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion recovery (and long seasons) don't appear to be Froome's strong side and Contador doesn't do long seasons either and he's also let down in third weeks a few times last few years. It should be someone who's good all year around and has a good recovery. Purito and Valverde are about the only ones I can see getting good results in both - well they're a bit too old now, but maybe they could've done it last couple of years - but they're not good enough to win the TDF anyway.

Maybe Quintana? Sometimes it feels like he just flies out of Colombia, wins a race and then flies back. I don't think I've ever seen him in a bad shape and he doesn't ride much races in preparation, so he doesn't need to race much before the Giro that might favour him. Furthermore in all the GT's he's done so far he's appeared to be at his best in the third week, which leads me to believe he probably has a great recovery (unlike, say, Froome or Contador last couple of years).

But yeah, I don't think Quintana can pull it off either. I think I have to agree more or less with the OP.

Re:

Kwibus said:
Contador didnt look good at the giro and certainly doesnt look good now.

Actually this entire year he didnt look as good as last year. Most thought that was because he had to be at his best for the Tour, but that's not it apparently.
Yeah, he has looked sub-par the entire year. Maybe age is catching up on him.
Though I thought he was in decline in 2013 and he was amazing in 2014. Maybe the same will happen in 2016 ;)

I dont think is impossible to do the double. Froome this year could have done if he has luck with crashes and so on, but tour is the most importante race and if quintana do just le Tour you cant must prepare just for the Tour. And I think that he will do the double with the Vuelta, that is the same difficult although some people said that no,, He will be the first to do it.

Anyway if Quintana is there and with Landa and Aru more fresh will be difficult.

Merckx index said:

You don't give Alberto enough credit IMO. It is obvious Contador has been in bad shape all season.
In brilliant shape he probably wouldn't have won anyway, but he would have been close to Nairo.

But of course you'd want to brag about your correct prediction that it's impossible. A bit pathetic, to be honest.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

cellardoor said:
ILovecycling said:
If a legend who won 9(7) GT's cant do it, then nobody. (not writing this as a AC fan really)

Are we supposed to pretend we can't see your signature? :)
:D :D nope, thats why I wrote that, as I was writing it clearly as a fan of cycling not a fan of certain Alberto Contador ;)

TRENDING THREADS