• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Tour for George

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think it was Race Radio or maybe it was The Hog, but one of them said that Hincapie does not want to race the Tour in 2010. Do the Classics, and spend time with his family and working on growing business empire.

I think that Hincapie was already planning on missing the Tour this year when he first signed with BMC long before Evans came on board. Even with wild card status and Evans on the roster, they still aren't a lock to be invited - similar to how Cervelo was last year.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know that BMC will be invited to the Tour? You've got the teams from the previous pro tour agreement, plus the new teams, and they haven't decided how many teams to invite this year.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I like Big George I will cheer for him in the classics. I will not miss him that much in the tour though.

But what about Evans? He wants to do the tour right?

Highlander said:
I think that Hincapie was already planning on missing the Tour this year when he first signed with BMC long before Evans came on board. Even with wild card status and Evans on the roster, they still aren't a lock to be invited - similar to how Cervelo was last year.

BMC is already riding the Giro. Do they really have the bodies to field a competitive team at the Tour de France as well? It's a Classics team for the most part, so I'm doubtful.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Riders with grand tour experience

Florian Stalder
Markus Zberg
Allesandro Ballan
Marcus Burghard
Cadel Evans
Karsten Kroon
George Hincapie

not many options...

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I actually thought about that. my statment was purely based on what would entertain me the most.

Anyway Big George and Ballan could be a strong duo in the classics

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Does anyone know that BMC will be invited to the Tour? You've got the teams from the previous pro tour agreement, plus the new teams, and they haven't decided how many teams to invite this year.

I just stumbled over this

http://www.bmcracingteam.com/index.php?id=9&L=0&uid=625

originally posted by polish under the general news thread.

from what I could read the tour is not included. perhaps you allready knew this

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If George's last fling in the tour was his leadout for Cavendish on the Champs, then let him forever be rembered for that moment. He strung out the pack and created a 1-2 finish for his team in true heroic style. That might be the most brilliant and unselfish piece of riding I have ever seen.

If George is done with the Tour then it is the Tour that is at loss. I wish him some luck in the classics (and an aluminum steer tube).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
BMC is already riding the Giro. Do they really have the bodies to field a competitive team at the Tour de France as well? It's a Classics team for the most part, so I'm doubtful.
I do agree that they are a young team but guys like Frank, Frei, Santambrogio and Morabito are all guys who are young but strong guys who can climb
Bike Boy said:
Riders with grand tour experience

Florian Stalder
Markus Zberg
Allesandro Ballan
Marcus Burghardt
Cadel Evans
Karsten Kroon
George Hincapie

not many options...

So you are going to only choose guys who have ridden a GT to race the tour.

Maybe BMC would be best served by not concentrating too much on the Giro and focusing on races like Flanders and Roubaix with Hincapie/Ballan and the Ardennes classics with Evans instead.

All three of these riders are capable of good showings so maybe BMC should try and get their Tour invite that way and if they miss out, well at least Evans will be fresh for Lombardia and the Vuelta....

David Suro said:
If George's last fling in the tour was his leadout for Cavendish on the Champs, then let him forever be rembered for that moment. He strung out the pack and created a 1-2 finish for his team in true heroic style. That might be the most brilliant and unselfish piece of riding I have ever seen.

If George is done with the Tour then it is the Tour that is at loss. I wish him some luck in the classics (and an aluminum steer tube).

Why? The one that broke was aluminum (or aluminium for our english contingent, based upon their system of always utilizing more letters than necessary to spell any word).

Joey_J

BANNED
Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Hincapie is a stud and a good luck charm for others (obviously not for himself) although he’s had some great wins.
He helped Lance win 7 Tours, Alberto win 1 and Cavendish win MSR and 6 stages in the tour. If they get the invite, Cadel might win the Tour this year. Well 4th, which would be a win considering…

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So you are going to only choose guys who have ridden a GT to race the tour.

I have provided the link that includes the 2010 roster. you can make up you own mind, but in my opinion it would be a difficult task for them to compete in both GT (Giro and tour that is) considering the size and experience of the squad.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sure they'd struggle if they were trying to go toe to toe with the big teams, but they can field teams which can do the job. If you were expecting Cadel in Yello early and then to control the race they may struggle, but i can't see that happening.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
But if BMC were to secure an invitation to the Tour, and certainly Cadel is very much thinking and hoping they will, will the team then try to prevail upon Big George to change his mind, even though I think he made it very clear last year that the '09 Tour was his last one? How could GH turn them down? With him, the squad has a real chance to finish top five, don't you think?

PdC: OK. Just a couple more. Turning to the Tour de France, I see that you're nearing Joop Zoetemelk's record for the most Tours completed. Is that something that you think about or that interests you, or you take pride in?

GH: I definitely take pride in having done fourteen Tours de France. Every year I finish it's , god, it's such a hard event, people who haven't done it, I don't know if you can uunderstand how hard it is. So I definitely take pride in that. A lot of people have sometimes criticized me, you know, I end the season early or I start the season late or I don't do a hundred races a year, I do 75 races. But yeah, I've done 14 Tours de France. So to me that means a lot, I'm very proud of that. Am I trying to break or tie the record? No. But I'm in the position where hopefully I can do one or two more, and it's a matter of me still loving to ride my bike and I'm really grateful to be in the position I'm in.

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/1/13/1248787/hincapie-interview#storyjump

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
George has ridden every TdF since Bjarne's victory holy crap 14.

Bjarne
Jan
Marco
Lance
Lance
Lance
Lance
Lance
Lance
Lance
Floyd
Alberto