• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

No Tour of California in Yosemite Park

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Apparently the spokesperson for Yosemite Park stated that it would bring too many people to the area disrupting those who just want to see the park, there apparently is also a concern that it would appear to be giving the Park's approval to the event (which they must not want to do).

Seems to me that they really just do not want to be bothered. There also appears to be a sense of protectionism with the entire park service, as in, "we do not want the smelly masses to have access to our pristine environment".

http://www.fresnobee.com/832/story/1680832.html

It's already clogged with people, even in mid-May, I think going there would be a mess. There are two possible exceptions:

Going east over Tioga Pass into the park, with a finish or staging area near Saddlebag Lake (perhaps a finish at Ellery Lake). This road isn't usually plowed until about Memorial Day anyway, sometimes later, so they'd have to plow it early, just for the race. Thus, no real fuss with the Park, though crowds would likely be pretty light. Awe inspiring, jaw dropping views for television though!

Climb to Glacier Point, but not from the Valley, instead heading north on route 41, then turning up Glacier Point Road. This too often is filled with snow and may need plowing. Facilities at the top would be pretty limited. Spectacular views though.

If they wanted to be really bold, they could ride in from the NW, and to Hetch Hetchy. There's a gravel road leading up to Laurel Lake that's quite steep in the middle. That would be an awesome road to race on, very epic, but I don't see this happening, at all.

IMG_2780.JPG

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Thank God! The should rip all the roads out of Yellowstone, Yosemite and GNP. If fat people want to enjoy a park by driving through it with their windows down...**** them. Let them rent a video. Had a back country permit 2 years ago that took me a year to get. Traffic jams into the park. If you are not from the US, believe me we have great parks, Grand Canyon, Moab,Mono Lake, Sequoia, Muir Woods and on and on but are great roads make it so every Ahole with a car goes there, they walk to the gift shop and get a snack. ToC would make it 1000x worse. Let them catch their fish with chips back in the city. They should do it like hunting, first month of the season no cars, next month bicycles, next month below 5ps, and then for the last couple of weeks and body with an SUV.

Why does the race need to go to Yosemite? Can't see any reason.

Keep nature nature. You can't just let everyone do whatever they want in a National Park or it's just like any other trashed park.

Yes. They should be preserved in as pristine a state as possible. That's the point.

There are about 5 thousand other parts of the Sierra that would make FANTASTIC racing.

Having been to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Joshua Tree and Sequoia National Parks, i think it's a gross mis-characterization to say that they don't appreciate visitors. I have never met anyone working in a US National Park who wasn't happy for visitors. However the people who do work for the National Parks Service are nature people, and they have great respect for the park (as everyone should; I have still in my life to gaze on more beautiful or wondrous aspects of nature than that which I saw at Yellowstone). Having a couple of thousand fans stand around in a national park for a day, with all the rubbish and clutter they bring I can fully understand their position. In fact, I completely agree with them.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Why does the race need to go to Yosemite? Can't see any reason.

Keep nature nature. You can't just let everyone do whatever they want in a National Park or it's just like any other trashed park.

Yes. They should be preserved in as pristine a state as possible. That's the point.

There are about 5 thousand other parts of the Sierra that would make FANTASTIC racing.

+1. Leave fragile parks out.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Having been to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Joshua Tree and Sequoia National Parks, i think it's a gross mis-characterization to say that they don't appreciate visitors. I have never met anyone working in a US National Park who wasn't happy for visitors. However the people who do work for the National Parks Service are nature people, and they have great respect for the park (as everyone should; I have still in my life to gaze on more beautiful or wondrous aspects of nature than that which I saw at Yellowstone). Having a couple of thousand fans stand around in a national park for a day, with all the rubbish and clutter they bring I can fully understand their position. In fact, I completely agree with them.

Of course we can keep things "pristine" by not allowing people to visit in the first place - but what would be the point? Pristine for the future generations that will not get to see it?

Having watched the TdF, Giro, Vuelta and others on television, I enjoy the scenery as much (or more) than the commentary. At times there are tens of thousands of people on the hillsides (and I am sure it requires some clean up after) but the routes do not seem to have been that damaged over the years by those who are watching the race.

I get to Sequoia Park (which is very close to Yosemite) several times a year. When cycling into the park, we get stopped at the gate and the park pass is checked. Without the park pass it will cost $20 for entry, which seems a little steep but is not a problem for me personally since I get a pass every year. However, I figure the cost of just getting into the park would keep most of the curiosity seekers outside during the Tour of California.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Good:cool: Wow, someone working for the US Government that has some integrity.

Places like Yosemite and Yellowstone are sacred and should remain so. We don't need more idiots running around destroying these places.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:
Those fragile parks seem to have survived fires, floods, and man. I do not see how a day of the Tour would cause irreparable harm.

They're not surviving the man thing all that well. Talk to anyone that works in parks and they'll tell you they spend most of their time acting like cops to keep visitors from doing more damage. Damage to the park, themselves and each other. A one-day party like most big stages tend to be can be held alot of places with little impact. It seems like a bad habit to get into.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
It's already clogged with people, even in mid-May, I think going there would be a mess. There are two possible exceptions:

Going east over Tioga Pass into the park, with a finish or staging area near Saddlebag Lake (perhaps a finish at Ellery Lake). This road isn't usually plowed until about Memorial Day anyway, sometimes later, so they'd have to plow it early, just for the race. Thus, no real fuss with the Park, though crowds would likely be pretty light. Awe inspiring, jaw dropping views for television though!

Climb to Glacier Point, but not from the Valley, instead heading north on route 41, then turning up Glacier Point Road. This too often is filled with snow and may need plowing. Facilities at the top would be pretty limited. Spectacular views though.
Decent ideas, but very snow dependent. Chances are good that it would be pretty hard to clear Tioga by that time.
Yosemite Valley is a bad idea. Pretty crowded already, and really not that good a venue. In the May timeframe there are alot of better options.

CentralCaliBike said:
Of course we can keep things "pristine" by not allowing people to visit in the first place - but what would be the point? Pristine for the future generations that will not get to see it?

Please explain how not letting the TOC ride through or into the park equates to "future generations that will not get to see it"?

There is simply no correlation.

CentralCaliBike said:
Those fragile parks seem to have survived fires, floods, and man. I do not see how a day of the Tour would cause irreparable harm.

Fires and floods are natural events. They live under the umbrella of "pristine".

Minimizing the effects of man on the park is how we maintain "pristine" so that future generations have the same opportunity to see pristine nature the way you and your family get to now.

The Tour would not cause irreparable harm, and it wouldn't be the end of the park if it occurred. Fact is, it's simply unnecessary as the amount of astoundingly scenic and appropriate terrain available in California is staggering. There's just no need to impact the park unnecessarily.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Please explain how not letting the TOC ride through or into the park equates to "future generations that will not get to see it"?

There is simply no correlation.

I guess I was responding to this quote: "Thank God! The should rip all the roads out of Yellowstone, Yosemite and GNP." which is a sentiment heard often around the area. Perhaps the parks do not need the Tour come through but I really cannot think of a way to get people who are watching the sport (and not from the area) to see that we actually do have vistas that rival those in Europe for cycling.

CentralCaliBike said:
How do the French, Italians and Spanish handle it every year?

Have you been? They don't have the same concept of National Parks we do. They have villages in every valley. The continent has bee built up in every hill, dale and hamlet for centuries.

The Europeans who come here to enjoy our National Parks are constantly astonished at our ability to keep them pristine. It's EXACTLY why they're valuable. Having taken my Belgian relatives and their friends on several trips to several National Parks, and having spoken with many Europeans about it while there, I can assure you this is not speculation.

Fighting against voices like yours is what has given us this treasure. The day we give in is the day it's all lost forever.

CentralCaliBike said:
I guess I was responding to this quote: "Thank God! The should rip all the roads out of Yellowstone, Yosemite and GNP." which is a sentiment heard often around the area. Perhaps the parks do not need the Tour come through but I really cannot think of a way to get people who are watching the sport (and not from the area) to see that we actually do have vistas that rival those in Europe for cycling.

You're from here--have you not been over the countless other passes in the Sierra? I can't imagine one saying those vistas are not the equivalent--they in fact surpass them in many ways. They're different, but just as amazing.

I'm no "pull all the roads out" guy, but the sentiment that we're loving Yosemite to death rings true. It's just a freaking zoo in the summer.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Fires and floods are natural events. They live under the umbrella of "pristine".

Minimizing the effects of man on the park is how we maintain "pristine" so that future generations have the same opportunity to see pristine nature the way you and your family get to now.

The Tour would not cause irreparable harm, and it wouldn't be the end of the park if it occurred. Fact is, it's simply unnecessary as the amount of astoundingly scenic and appropriate terrain available in California is staggering. There's just no need to impact the park unnecessarily.

I certainly agree that there is plenty of awesome terrain outside of the parks in California. I tend to get irritated when someone says, I want to keep this place to myself. Reminds me of one of the bigger environmentalists of the 80s who continually attacked the logging industry but had a 2000 square foot redwood deck on her house in a county where I used to live.

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
i have the perfect place for a summit finish. Why not Mt. Whitney portal?? I just drove up it a couple days ago and it is a true beast of a climb. It starts off gently going through the Alabama hills and then gets pretty steep towards the top. Plus there is more then pleanty of room for all the buses and people as there is already a big parking lot up there.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
CentralCaliBike said:

It's still different. Alpe d'Huez for instance is dead in summer (except for the TdF). Yosemite is not. Yosemite has more than enough visitors at almost any time. They don't need a cycling race. Alpe d'Huez on the other hand, would be completely closed over the summer without the TdF.

Anyway, I'm happy it doesn't go through Yosemite. It's too much. There's plenty of roads in the Sierra which can be used. No need to add to the chaos in Yosemite by having the ToC pass through it. It's a sound decision.

Moondance said:

Try liking to mountain bike but living in a place where you can barely throw a rock without hitting a section of land on the edge of a populated area that has been designated as wilderness. You cannot mountain bike there but it is perfectly okay for horses to destroy the trails. It sort of sucks not being able to use what should be great recreational terrain.

CentralCaliBike said:
I certainly agree that there is plenty of awesome terrain outside of the parks in California. I tend to get irritated when someone says, I want to keep this place to myself. Reminds me of one of the bigger environmentalists of the 80s who continually attacked the logging industry but had a 2000 square foot redwood deck on her house in a county where I used to live.

I haven't heard anyone on this thread espouse "keeping Yosemite to myself".

I think we're getting pretty far afield the topic at this point.

BroDeal said:
Try liking to mountain bike but living in a place where you can barely throw a rock without hitting a section of land on the edge of a populated area that has been designated as wilderness. You cannot mountain bike there but it is perfectly okay for horses to destroy the trails. It sort of sucks not being able to use what should be great recreational terrain.

I certainly would agree the laws against bikes and supporting horses make no sense, other than "he who has the gold makes the rules".

Not sure how this applies to a TOC stage in Yosemite. Certainly there are few enough wilderness areas in California and the US that while this may be a valid local issue, calling the use of National Parks into question...well...I certainly don't think it's relevant.

TRENDING THREADS