• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nobody else could bridge a gap like this

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Great video, This was 1999 right?

Wasn't he excluded from the race a few stages later for exceeding the 50% hemotocrit rule?

I will refrain from further comment until they move this to the clinic.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Great Vidio footage he was not picking up pasangers. Imagin how much faster he could have time trialed if he had had them ears pushed back.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't understand why you guys are celebrating someone who so obviously upped the game in 1998 and 1999

Who cares about it? Il Pirata was a chosen one... and will be remembered forever...!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/1999/giro99/stage15.html

Italian Marco Pantani, the leader of the Giro, gave a maestro's demonstration of climbing when he won Stage 15 up into Oropa. In 1993, this climb was memorable because of the problems that the great Spaniard encountered here. In 1999, it was the climb where only Laurent Jalabert could compete and then only for a time. Marco Pantani even lost 30 seconds on the lower slopes due to mechanical problems with his chain and derailleur.

With the 10.5 kms climb in front of him, Pantani was at the back of the main group after he got going again. He didn't panic. Observers pointed out the difference between the Italian's calm approach and the panic that German Jan Ullrich displayed last year on the plateau de Beille in the Tour of France where he blew himself and his teammates up after puncturing.

Instead, Pantani set about regaining the ground with tempo and was given a fantastic reception by the crowd lining the climb. After several kms he caught Ivan Gotti and then proceeded to chase the group of Roberto Heras, Nicola Miceli and Laurent Jalabert. Jalabert had driven the climb hoping to win the stage.

With 3 kms to go before the summit finish, Jalabert looked over his shoulders and saw Pantani coming. It seemed that he knew his fate there and then. Second place was going to be his as Pantani stormed past. At the end, Jalabert confessed that: "Pantani is too strong!"

But Jalabert worked hard to limit the damage knowing that there was still one more ITT to come. He lost only 21 seconds and is now 2.10 down on GC in third place. The ITT on Wednesday comes before more climbing however.

The Oropa (1144m) climb cost a lot of riders time. Italian Paolo Savoldelli (2nd on GC) was a victim as was 1997 Giro winner Ivan Gotti was more than 2 minutes down. Oscar Cameninzind, who already lost a lot of time the day before lost another minute today but Spaniard Jose Maria Jimenez lost around 6 and Alex Zulle lost 8. Zulle has withdrawn from the Giro as planned and has used the race to date to help him come back from his long suspension.

Pantani said afterwards: "I was especially aiming to take time out of my adversaries, and I was not particularly thinking about winning the stage."

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
happychappy said:
As a doped up cheater, you're right.

Most than 99% of the ppl remember Marco as one of the greatest cyclist that ever live... you are that tiny 1% of the ppl that nobody cares about...

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Most than 99% of the ppl remember Marco as one of the greatest cyclist that ever live... you are that tiny 1% of the ppl that nobody cares about...

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

He was one of the greatest cyclists and great to watch. And he was a doped up cheater. Similar to how I feel about Lance, Indurain, Ulrich and others.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Please let's not devolve this thread into a doping talk, allright?

Anyway, I love Pantani, I think it was his 1998 Galibier win that cemented my love for cycling. The first ride I can really remember well.

And since such a topic is nothing without pics:
pantani.jpg

pantani_giro-tour.jpg

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Bah Marco... you went to a better place too early... :( but you live in our hearts...

Marco VIVE!!!

Pink and Yellow for his victories in '98!

May 14, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't like he was going past clean riders.

The way he attacked in the climbs, trough the steep inside of the corners, was just amazing.

A trully great one.

TRENDING THREADS