• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Non-Racing" and lots of crashes

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
These tightly bunched up 38km/h 170 man social rides are really going to start taking a toll on the crash front.

It won't be long before a GC contender is out of the tour with a nasty injury.

I hate riding in a claustrophobic bunch like that.

I'm not suggesting they ride all day in single file at 55 km/h, but these "protest" days and "easy" days are not only dull for the spectators but also dangerous for the riders.

Still, The Boss seems happy -he's always allowed to ride nicely tucked in in the safest position in the peloton.

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
I am actually beginning to think that the lack of earpieces actually had the opposite effect to what was intended.

The average speed for the stage was around 45km/hr which is on the higher side of average and the break was never allowed to get very far and was restricted to a smaller number then what would normally be allowed to get away.

I think that the peloton decided that only a small gap would get away and it would be limited so that they could easily roll them back in.

I think that if the ban became permanent it would have a negitive effect on the race. To ensure that the breaks could always be reeled back in they would not be allowed to get big or much time.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Tour fluff

If the race organizers can change the rules,they should make some more points bonus areas.Forget about radios,speed is the issue.This sh#t about everybody sitting in and a pack sprint is BS.Put a couple of 5 second time bonus sprints out there or two 5's and a 10 and that will get these lazy calculators to put it in a big gear.Maybe Boonen is right a bump might be what this snail tour needs.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
James Jordan said:
I am actually beginning to think that the lack of earpieces actually had the opposite effect to what was intended.

The average speed for the stage was around 45km/hr which is on the higher side of average and the break was never allowed to get very far and was restricted to a smaller number then what would normally be allowed to get away.

I think that the peloton decided that only a small gap would get away and it would be limited so that they could easily roll them back in.

I think that if the ban became permanent it would have a negitive effect on the race. To ensure that the breaks could always be reeled back in they would not be allowed to get big or much time.

The 'peloton' decided nothing. The entire 'performance' we witnessed was orchestrated by the DS's. The teams were told to not ride more than 36 kph till the last 40 kms, after which 'open' racing was again 'permitted'.

The protest 'gesture' by the four riders who went out front was exactly that, a 'gesture' by their teams to show that they didn't agree with what had been decided.

TRENDING THREADS