• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Non Sanctioned Event Fine

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I am being fined by my national federationfor participating in a non-sanctioned event. I am an amateur cyclist. Although the fine is relatively small, I feel that this is wrong.

Under the UCI regulations, is there any realistic chance of appealing against this? What happens if I refuse to pay.

I would also be interested to know if these fines are common. I know McQuaid threatened to discipline riders for racing Paris Nice when the UCI was in dispute with the ASO but, as far as I know, no fines were actually levied.

Any comments / advice would be appreciated.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I am unsure what fed you are part of, but this sounds suspect. In the US there can be insurance/liability issues for example on club rides. I loaned my racing license to an Irishman who raced in South Africa. I was on a club ride and somebody came up and said" hey I saw your name in the paper". I looked and sure enough I got a result. When the fed tried to suspend me I said my lic got stollen. I never did find out who ratted me out but the US fed said I needed a release from my club and permission to race in another fed. Nothing ever came of it. If it's only a small fine and you are not going to the Olympics I would just pay it. Sometimes you have to play with the bullies if they have the only game in town.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
So, has anyone out there been fined for riding an unsanctioned race: either recently or in the distant past. I know it says on the race licence delaration form that you promise not to do so, but I always thought that was just a way of controlling professionals, not something anyone would bother about at the amateur level.

The race concerned was a one-off event with lots of prizes for different age categories - a bit of fun, really.

TRENDING THREADS