• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bavarianrider said:
kingjr said:
Bavarianrider said:
Okay and Kroogh isn't even breathing at the finish :confused: :confused: :confused:
I saw him lying on the ground?

Heikkinen made a huge mess of that.

Look what he did right after crossing the line. Celebrating, screaming, posing. Then after a minute he decides to lie down. :rolleyes:
What, so he was faking it? Please, I know it's hard for you, cause you're a head-through-the-wall type of guy, but think before you type for a change. Please. It's painful.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
think how kroght would breath if the today's snow mess was close to the skiathlon conditions ? a visible difference for any 80 kg+ skater.

but i am not going to ridicule krogh b/c he put up an excellent fight and for all intents and purposes is a gentleman.
nor is he normally a clown as we all know who. nor do i recall a convenient 'sportsmanship' in him after one (guess who) was caught.

Too many crashes that could have/did have impacts on the final rankings in Lahti. Halfvarsson would generally get the better of Heikkinen in a final sprint to the line, but you never know. Heikkinen should have kept going instead of completely stopping at the top of the final hill, at least he shouldn't have let the Swede past him. I think he stopped thinking at the end there. Real shame for the fall. 39.9 km of good, hard work for the Finns and it all disappears. Also would have loved to see Ustiugov catch Krogh, but it wasn't to be. He seemed angry at the end, well, maybe not like after the sprint, but definitely not satisfied. Does that mean another gold medal in the 50km?? The conditions are supposed to be much better, with well below zero temperature which means the tracks will harden and the snow will be fast. His plan originally was to skip the 50km, but the form he is in, and the fact that the best 50km skiers for the Russians aren't there, could see him enter that race. Chervotkin did an admirable job, he could have easily lost more time by completely blowing up. Sundby in the post race interview said he had to go full gas to make a gap, as Chervotkin hung tough. 17-18 seconds was the gap at the last exchange and I thought Ustiugov could close it, maybe not right away, but economically enough to rest in the final couple km's before attacking Krogh, but it never happened. He cut the deficit in half at the first time check, and got as close to 5 seconds later in the race, but no cigar. At least he skied all the way through, without giving up. I'll give him credit for sticking with it, even when it looked like he was cooked....well, he was cooked, and Krogh looked cooked as well. It's just boring to see the Norwegians win every World Championship relay.

Also, really good races for Germany and Switzerland. If there was an outsider team that I felt would fight for a medal, I thought it would be France, but those two teams did well. Cologna seems in good shape, just a shame he can't classic ski at the moment. I think he will be a player in the 50km. Hellner likewise.

Max Rockatansky said:
Hellner 26:29
Sundby 26:32
Notz 26:43
Chervotkin 26:50

Ustiugov 27:15
Krogh 27:28

It looks like the course was done at leg 4.

The course looked done midway through the first leg. I thought when Bess and Dyr were skiing that their skis would get lost in the slushy tracks going up one of the hills. Shades of the Falun 50km.

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Weird Russian team selection. Their weakest skier vs Sundby? Not clever.

I have no idea why Chervotkin pulled for 5 km. He should have done nothing but glue himself to Sundby's back. It may not have changed the outcome in the end, but lets at least try to maximize your chances of staying with MJS.

The terrible conditions screwed Sergey.

Re:

John de Savage said:
Weird Russian team selection. Their weakest skier vs Sundby? Not clever.

I have no idea why Chervotkin pulled for 5 km. He should have done nothing but glue himself to Sundby's back. It may not have changed the outcome in the end, but lets at least try to maximize your chances of staying with MJS.

The terrible conditions screwed Sergey.

Who else should they have put in? Bolshunov or Sedov were the other two options. Bolshunov has already done two races here and Sedov didn't ski too well in Otepaa (even if that was a classic race). Chervotkin did his bit, limiting the damage. The only thing is that, like you said, he should have let Sundby go through and sat in more. Actually he should have let Sundby lead and rest behind him. Maybe his thinking was that he would try to control the pace and ski his own race. Comparing him to the other skate skiers, he did pretty well. Obviously he would have much preferred to hand the tag to Ustiugov with no deficit instead of 17.7 seconds, but that would have been tough for anyone to do in these conditions. The conditions didn't favor Ustiugov, that's for sure. Interestingly he took the blame for not the team not winning. He was confident he could catch Krogh, but he said it was hard work in the slushy and slow conditions, but he did say the conditions were the same for everyone, and the Norwegians were the better team on the day.

The conditions are supposed to harden for tomorrow and Sunday's races. That will be a nice welcome for the skiers. I am fairly certain nobody in that field, man or woman, would like to see a 30km or a 50km raced in slow slush. Ustiugov said he will race the 50km. With the snow being harder and faster, then Ustiugov will have another great chance to medal or even win. He'll have more guys to contend with though, not only Sundby: Cologna, Hellner, Olsson....

Re:

John de Savage said:
If the women's race is any indication, we can probably expect a good old bunch sprint tomorrow. Easy course and fast conditions.

Yep. A fast race beckons. I think a sub 2 hour race is quite possible. Actually something close to the 1:46 from Sochi may also be possible. This will suit the big guys like Northug, Ustiugov. I really hope someone tries to bust the race open early. Maybe not in the first few km, but at least by halfway, and a group of 10-12 stays away. There have been a lot of crashes and broken poles in Lahti, so I hope that doesn't happen to anyone. Interested to see what Cologna, Hellner and Olsson do tomorrow. Cologna is fresh, Hellner is gaining form and Olsson might be out for revenge after a couple disappointing races for him in Lahti.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
can't wait for the queen event. i will welcome any winner except sundby. yes, even northug. not that i intend losing any sleep if martin proves me wrong....

hellner looks the top fave considering his relay performance. ustiougov in my opinion did not show any sighs of a sliding down form in the relays, but he might be growing fatigued from so many all-out races. hope he gets another medal today.

how likely is that we may get a surprise podiumer today ? not very, i guess.

No way, Sundby over Northug any day of the week and twice on Sundays. At least if Sundby wins we might have seen an attack or two in the race, Northug is the skiing equivalent of everything that's wrong with Sagan personally and Gerrans as a racer, and exists solely as the threat of what will happen if nobody has any guts to race.

Would definitely wellcome a hellner, ustjugov or cologna victory, and I think they stand a chance surely. Hell, even a full on MJS attack will do.

But I think we will end up with a very fast sunday groupide in excellent conditions. Perhaps an all time fastest 50k in wcs. Sundby must want to drop Northug

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the race is anything but boring tactically. this is great !

the norges sent gloersen to stretch the peloton. and it seemed to work forcing the russians into a lead. the gap reached 20 sec at one point...then ustiougov decided that was enough and personally, with some help from chervo, has almost shut the gap down. this of course split the peloton. northug is at 10-11 sec now with 2/3 the distance left.

all contenders are in a big group of i'd say 15-20 skiers...now i see sundby is trying to put some pressure so early.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
some attacking was going on and northug is beeing gapped by 13-15 secs. it was interesting that ustiougov almost overslep the acceleration but very easily moved up and is now leading...

TRENDING THREADS