• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

python said:
pellegrino !! the only bright spot of the dull dresden sprint.

a perfectly timed explosive acceleration for which klaebo had no answer.

hard to say if ustiougov - had he been healthy - would have made a difference today.
Yes, that 15 seconds of excitement was worth me watching for an hour today.

The women's relay was excellent, there 6 or 7 teams within 30 seconds going into the last shoot (beyond Germany there were about 4 within 10). Dahlmeier is still not in great form: she missed two and then really struggled to drop Sanfilippo on the last lap, in fact she was second best on the climb and only really got away on the descent and when Sanfilippo slipped. The Italians in general shooting very well, but especially Wierer on her stand. She is skiing quite badly though at the moment, esepcially compared to Hermann and Kuzmina, who seems to have mastered Team GB track cycling's 'peak only in the olympic year' tactics. Eckhoff was also good. It was much better than normal when Germany just gets two minutes on everyone.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
not that klaebo is overrated, but such was the gap and the number of his SPRINT victories, that the effect was amplified by both the journos and even his competitors...he is particularly limited in the skate where his brand classic running uphills is not applicable. today though, just like yesterday, not just klaebo but everyone was dwarfed by the incomparable all out acceleration of pellegrino. it is second to none if the the time left to the finish is about 20 seconds !

the team sprint was also interesting tactically with the klaebo partner clearly fading and the swedes otoh showing staying power. the russian 3d with retyvyk was not a surprise except i never heard of krasnov until yesterday.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Rider said:
So Klaebo is clearly beatable in both individual and team sprint.

Interesting question is who going to be the second in the team, Krogh?
At the Olympics it will be a classic sprint and he seems to be stronger in those, he should be the big favourite.
Team sprint, him + Krogh should be the to go team.

Re: Re:

At the Olympics it will be a classic sprint and he seems to be stronger in those, he should be the big favourite.
I know. I also saw the race, so I know that the track was flat but there will be uphills in Korea. But his acceleration yesterday and today were not so demolishing as they were before TDS.
Team sprint, him + Krogh should be the to go team.
Will see.

Laura pulled back a bigger gap than that on Koukalová in the Ruhpolding MS a couple of years ago though, and though Laura isn't on that kind of form right now, Crawford also isn't at Koukalová's level skiing-wise either. She seems to have run out of juice on that final climb; considering Ruhpolding's range is just about the easiest on the circuit, that long climb seems to sap a lot of people in the head to head races (mass start, pursuit, relay) - remember Pisareva having to resort to walking up that hill when leading the relay? I'm more gutted for her that she couldn't make the podium stick, with Vitková picking her off at the line, than that she didn't get the win, because as soon as the camera showed where she was relative to Mäkäräinen at the base of the climb, I was certain she had no chance of holding on for the 1st place.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
after reading the norgwegian media version of the klaebo defeat in the team sprint (vg.no and nrk), i decided to review the race again. ..

specifically, they said that klaebo was just fine and it was due to the fading of his partner (stadaas) coming in last in the penultimate lap that held klaebo back.

at best this is a half-truth or, more likely, a spin. lets review the event...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbedz5Y6H1Q

indeed, demonstrating his usual speed, klaebo starts a long acceleration at a race time 7:39 (time stamp - 38:29)... he easily takes the front and sends his partner off with a gap of exactly 1.2 sec on everyone. lets be clear here - 1 second is NOT something huge. it was probably a team plan - to have stadaas to hold the gap on a very short loop (1.2km) and then klaebo would solo to the win...a good, logical plan.

and indeed stadaas tried his best and held the pack back for 1:15 (2/3 of a lap). but got eventually caught (time stamp 40:33) finishing his lap last. this is where the norwegian spin is easy to rebut with evidence...

true, klaebo started the last lap behind everyone. BUT in a tight group and only .7 behind the russian and 1.1 second behind pellegrino. Clearly, not the insurmountable gap an alleged superman should not be able to close !

the rest can be clearly seen. klaebo, like everyone, is desperately trying to chase down the swede and the swiss. he managed to move to the 5th position before the last turn (pellegrino was ahead already). but he could not improve on that, unlike retyvyk, for instance. clearly b/c he was not fast enough.

klaebo was NOT done by his partner but by his own obvious limits in a very intense race: the insufficient speed endurance and the lack of a punch. all typical of a TIRED HUMAN. :idea:

Re:

Singer01 said:
Confirmed that OEB is not going to the olympics, it is absolutely the right decision, being a legend is no reason to pick you if you are out of form and not performing.
Well, it might be, if not for the enormous strength the Norwegian men have right now. Birkeland and L'Abée-Lund have been having strong seasons, Bjøntegaard is emerging and Christiansen and Gjesbakk are tearing it up on the IBU Cup and were it not for OEB's status meaning they want to give him max opportunity to prove his worth for the Olympics, would probably have seen more World Cup rotations.

All the races are on tape delay because of the f'ing tennis, do we really need both eurosport channels showing early round matches. And my first child is due right in the middle of the olympics, nightmare.

That was unexpected. She had been terrible so far, 5th ranked Norwegian, and she smashed it.

Re:

jsem94 said:
JTB is insane right now, he will win several gold medals in Korea barring a catastrophe.

I can't remember Fourcade ever being so outclassed, does he suffer at altitude?
Also, is there any info as to what the blip was in last round for JTB, specifically the individual competition.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i was also looking for pellegrino, but he was NOT even in the START LIST for the quals that was over about 30 min ago...no surprizes so far.

klaebo as expected the fastest but halfvarsson in a slight surprise is 2nd etc. the swedes did fine in general . i dont expect any suspense except a dogfight for the 2nd and 3d. i also expect stina to win b/c when she's so good in the quals, she seldom lost the finals...

Pellegrino did the qualification but ended up in 44th, 15+ seconds behind Klaebo. Think about that, had Pellegrino started a number in front of Klaebo, he would have been caught. I know he is much better in skate than he is in classic, but at altitude in those sort of conditions, he should be worried.