Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He got off lightly in 2014 when he drove drunk, went over the speed limit, hit a sign, injured the passenger (a buddy of his) and left the scene and was arrested at his parents house, if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets off lightly again.

I know winter is still a few month away, however there is something I have thought about for a while now. Maybe, just maybe Covid 19 might be a blessing in disguse for us cross country skiing fans.
Wouldn`t it be possibe that Fis will be forced to replace mass start races with individual starts. I know, cycling has mass start races too, but winter might be a different thing. We all know that viruses spread / are more dangerous in winter than in summer. So having mass start races with athletes breathing hard next to each other seems a bit strange when we are required to wear mask in public places and so on.
So , do you see a chance that mass startraces could actually be in danger this season, too?

Jan 7, 2019
I know winter is still a few month away, however there is something I have thought about for a while now. Maybe, just maybe Covid 19 might be a blessing in disguse for us cross country skiing fans.
Wouldn`t it be possibe that Fis will be forced to replace mass start races with individual starts. I know, cycling has mass start races too, but winter might be a different thing. We all know that viruses spread / are more dangerous in winter than in summer. So having mass start races with athletes breathing hard next to each other seems a bit strange when we are required to wear mask in public places and so on.
So , do you see a chance that mass startraces could actually be in danger this season, too?
Good question. I guess it depends. If there are snow shortages again, then loops would be only 2.5 km long if even that and the track would be crowded anyway. And FIS doesn't want to do interval starts on such short loops, because it would look like a mess on TV I guess.

I don't expect FIS to change the calendar voluntarily, so it's about whether some force majeure intervenes. But we are living in such uncertain times, so who knows really.

So the shedule for this XC season has been finalized. There are some Bad and some good news. The Bad: Tour the Ski she dule IS dogshit once again. No Long distance Stage at all. The good. IT IS offical, after 13 years of dispair, the 50km on the Holmenkollen are finally raced as an individual start. The Situation of the WC in Oberstdorf remains unclear, though. I fear a total cancellation is still very Well possible.

Jan 7, 2019
So the shedule for this XC season has been finalized. There are some Bad and some good news. The Bad: Tour the Ski she dule IS dogshit once again. No Long distance Stage at all. The good. IT IS offical, after 13 years of dispair, the 50km on the Holmenkollen are finally raced as an individual start. The Situation of the WC in Oberstdorf remains unclear, though. I fear a total cancellation is still very Well possible.
Biathlon has reduced the amount of world cup venues to reduce travelling and potential risk of falling ill. I wouldn't be surprised if FIS did something similar. So I don't think calendar is set in stone yet. And I'm highly sceptical of Chinese races going ahead, even if Olympics are supposed to be there the year after.

What covid-19 has effectively done to summer sports thus far, has been focus on higher adaptability/improvisation of organizing events. And also regionalization of sports. This of course doesn't influence winter sports that much because usually only 1-2 events are held outside Europe. However, particularly in XC I could see further regionalization towards Nordic countries happening.

---

Of course, another thing to consider before the upcoming season is the economic situation. I read already in April that Norway reduced its ski team funding. I assume this has been the case in pretty much every team. Which effect will this have on competition is yet to be seen. But wouldn't be surprised if the gaps between better-off teams and the less competitive ones increased further. In XC anyone outside Norwegians, Russian men and Swedish women was floundering already before, so what chances will they have once finances get even tighter?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Non-Cycling Discussions 15

ASK THE COMMUNITY