• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
python said:
de fabiani a surprizing winner ? several yet to finish but he''ll stay. yep, surprising for a 21 yo seldom heard from.

Not so surprising considering it's after WC and he was very good in 50 km. There are more surprising results, like Tonseth 26 th and Dyrhaug 36th - tehy had great form only week ago! Harvey... Nyenget (never heard about him) 4th.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Weng celebrating 2nd place in a random World Cup race as if it was an olympic gold medal. :D

It was a close, exciting and unpredictable race behind Marit who won comfortably. But the men's individual starts are turning into a joke. Krogh won in ?stersund because he ski sucked Manificat for a lap. Now De Fabiani got his first WC win thanks to being towed by Bauer for two laps. The purpose of the individual start is lost when a skier can Northug his way to the top of the podium.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Michal ?lesinger answered fan's questions recently. Among them was question if there is one about whon others say is big-headed. He answered that it'd be Svendsen, but maybe any longer given his result misery :) Another question was who would he choose of trio Schempp, Shipulin, M. Fourcade - ?lesinger would choose Fourcade. That is how I percieve them and different from what Libertine (and lot others) say about Fourcade.

Kokoso said:
Michal ?lesinger answered fan's questions recently. Among them was question if there is one about whon others say is big-headed. He answered that it'd be Svendsen, but maybe any longer given his result misery :) Another question was who would he choose of trio Schempp, Shipulin, M. Fourcade - ?lesinger would choose Fourcade. That is how I percieve them and different from what Libertine (and lot others) say about Fourcade.
Svendsen being bigheaded really doesn't surprise me. Fourcade has never really bothered me away from the course, but on the course his attitude really bugs me, he's even admitted to it before, like in a Swedish TV piece where they showed him skiing up alongside a Malyshko who's clearly got nothing more to give, and casually chatting to him and dropping behind him and pulling alongside effortlessly before leaving him for dead on a climb, with Martin voice-overing that he finds playing games with his opposition helps him to focus.

From the question on ?lesingr picking Fourcade over Schempp and Shipulin, what's the context of that? I mean, if it's down to who would you back to win a race, or saying who the best biathlete is, I would expect 90% of the field (or at least the non-Russian or German field) to say Fourcade... unless maybe over a 50-100m final sprint where Shipulin could come into it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
though the drammen start lists have not been published by fis as of this very moment, it is pretty clear that not 2 but 3 northug bros will start tomorrow...

i say, that's another sign of the sport heading...well, pls disagree all you want..in the direction i personally dont appreciate.:rolleyes:

the sport's participation rules and practice are so skewed that to fill the ranks, the world cup events organizers are given too many privileges. when these 'organizer' privileges fall to the already dominant nation, some truly ugly expressions may take hold. like the northug bros pony show tomorrow.

dont get me wrong, petter and thomas proved their class. just as the cologna bros did. but the sport's smallness is driving me off :mad:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
python said:
though the drammen start lists have not been published by fis as of this very moment, it is pretty clear that not 2 but 3 northug bros will start tomorrow...

i say, that's another sign of the sport heading...well, pls disagree all you want..in the direction i personally dont appreciate.:rolleyes:

the sport's participation rules and practice are so skewed that to fill the ranks, the world cup events organizers are given too many privileges. when these 'organizer' privileges fall to the already dominant nation, some truly ugly expressions may take hold. like the northug bros pony show tomorrow.

dont get me wrong, petter and thomas proved their class. just as the cologna bros did. but the sport's smallness is driving me off :mad:

Youngest Northug sucks, doesn't he?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:
Youngest Northug sucks, doesn't he?
if he was compared to his older bro at the same age, or even to others considered the sports future, he has little to show...i mean he may have podioumed in the secondary races but i can't recall any wc podiums.

the quals started 10 min ago. of the 69 male entrants today, 20 are from norway :eek: of the top 10 to this minute - 8 are norges, another 35 to start:rolleyes:

---
edit: the quals just ended...even and thomas finished outside top 30 (47th and 37th). 'only' 8 or 9 norges in the quarter finals.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Total Norwegian women fail today. Where is that guy who asked (in clinic) how can there be such big difference between biathletes and xc in one country? :D And wasn't he norwegian?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Kokoso said:
Total Norwegian women fail today. Where is that guy who asked (in clinic) how can there be such big difference between biathletes and xc in one country? :D And wasn't he norwegian?
perhaps their ladies are too thin, i mean not enough flab :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the 1st burst (before the eurosport came on air) was understandable: belov and ustiugov went for the wc points.

the 2nd break away (sundby, belov, gaillard) i failed to understand tactically speaking...they never were more than 8 sec away and 4 norges chased down hard when sundby was at the front. perhaps they tried to make a select group early on.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
cologna's presence is a sign him feeling good, not so harvey's imo... when alex was taking the front, he was (as is his usual) guarding the uphills against the excessive pace. it was during those period when the 'tail' was catching up. manificat is also featuring among the red suits now as is hellner. i still like sundby's chances better. another interesting observation i made was that when northug's gap reached 12 seconds, he when to personally chase.
meaning, he is ok as of now despite sundby clearly trying to shake him off

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
5k or so to go...the good thing is that northug is gone, the crazy thing is that (i think) larkov is the only one of the 15 leaders who NEVER changed skis, the hopeful thing is that hellner, cologna and harvey are still there

holund and cologna just created a gap.

Røthe good value for it I thought. I thought Cologna would outsprint him at the end but ran out of snow.

In the women's race, Marit Bjørgen just puts another exclamation point on her most dominant season yet by sprinting away from Johaug on a steep uphill, the one terrain where Johaug SHOULD hold all the cards.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
This is what world (cup) domination looks like!

68441_G08_W01.jpg

TRENDING THREADS