• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Literally two people have posted negatively on Soukalová, me and TomasC.

Should have known you'd reappear when somebody posts negatively about a Czech star though.
Plus me, at least. But nobody who would love her.

I should have known you should have known...is this kindergarten? Who needs it, really... :D At least don't pretend Fourcade is Czech.

Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Should have known you'd reappear when somebody posts negatively about a Czech star though.

I should have known you should have known...is this kindergarten? Who needs it, really... :D At least don't pretend Fourcade is Czech.
Well, you've protested before when I've called you out for being overly patriotic, and others have hinted it as well, so I always acted as though it wasn't intentional but came across like that. I'm not pretending Fourcade is Czech, but you're not jumping at me for not liking Fourcade.

Because we've clashed before whenever I've been critical of Czech athletes or I've got involved when you've been throwing accusations out at people while ignoring far more suspicious transformations closer to home, I thought, you know, maybe I'm reading you wrong so I had a look at more of your posts... all pro-Kreuziger, pro-König (getting upset when people reacted negatively to an interview he did, though in fairness it looked like a poor translation), pro-Hirt. And the fact you haven't posted in three months, then have resurfaced immediately within a couple of hours when I've posted negatively on somebody you say you don't even like much just tells me we're going to go round in circles on this again, just like we did in Sochi and just like we did in Hochfilzen. In fact, just about the only non-Czech to have received this kind of defence and support from you is Peter Sagan. That tells me all I need to know. I'm not interested in going through the circular arguments yet again. Either you're disingenuous, or you genuinely don't see why your posts are being seen - not just by me, I have seen several others call you out on it in threads that I've never even been in until recently - as fuelled by patriotism, and if the latter it's going to be hard to reconcile.

I've been to your country, and I found it beautiful. Prague is an amazing city though it is becoming a bit too touristy in places. Ústí is beautiful and the Czech Erzgebirge are a wonderful scenic area. I know people from the Republic who I've got on well with. As mentioned in my earlier post, I bear the Czech team no ill will, I like Vitková, I like Moravec (when I finally got out to go and see the World Cup in 2013, I cheered hugely for him when he got his first win, beating Martin Fourcade in the mass start at Holmenkollen, which won my fandom forever). I just can't stand Gabriela Soukalová and have no desire to get into another shouting match with you, that's all.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
respectfully, can you libertine and kokoso take your personal convo elsewhere ? we've all seen it way too much, b/c some other events are worth the mention...

like a real surprise brewing right now - the finnish girls look seriously able to take the 2nd btwn 2 norge teams.

EDIT: well, make it even more interesting, the swedish girls took the 3..marit must be itching :)

Re:

frenchfry said:
The difficult weekend continues for Libertine Seguros as Martin Fourcade dominates the pursuit. Not sure why you don't like him, except that he is rather dominant. Fillon-Maillet in 3rd place and could be 2nd overall.
For the same reason I don't like Marit Bjørgen, or Michael Schumacher, or FC Barcelona: because he's so good it just makes things extremely boring. He needs more of a flaw to make it a bit more tense, like Neuner's famous Antholz standing 0/5 collapse or Domracheva's many mental lacunas in the range, that make you think he could screw it up and give you a bit of hope that the race could be entertaining, so that if you like him there's a sense of genuine relief rather than inevitability when he gets away in the lead, and if you don't like him there's a genuine belief that those chasing have a chance. Last year was much more entertaining because he was recovering from mono, so he wasn't 100% and others could reach him so the victories were a challenge. When he's on form, however, he just skis away from everybody easily, hits the vast majority of his targets, and then showboats to the line, and it's no different to the dominant Norwegian XC performances that so many get turned off by.

Fillon-Maillet is a great prospect though, if he had a bit more experience in lunging for the line he'd have won a race already.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
yep, the triple isn't a big surprise... but the russians helped by obviously not setting the optimum 1st team.

It was the usual legkov in his 3d leg to close the gap allowed by his compatriots in the 1 classic legs, then seeing larkov in the last leg, imo was a mistake b/c in all other relays where the russian challenged for medals it was either vyleg (who ran 2nd classic) or ustiugov (who finished for russia 2). in fact, by my tentative assessment ustiogov was 2 d in absolute skating speed.

the norwegian nordic combined suit makes it very difficult to tell who they are.
the norwegians should have put in 2 A teams, would have been much more interesting watching weng v johaug and northug v sundby on the final legs.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Kokoso said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Well, you've protested before when I've called you out for being overly patriotic, and others have hinted it as well, so I always acted as though it wasn't intentional but came across like that. I'm not pretending Fourcade is Czech, but you're not jumping at me for not liking Fourcade.

Because we've clashed before whenever I've been critical of Czech athletes or I've got involved when you've been throwing accusations out at people while ignoring far more suspicious transformations closer to home, I thought, you know, maybe I'm reading you wrong so I had a look at more of your posts... all pro-Kreuziger, pro-König (getting upset when people reacted negatively to an interview he did, though in fairness it looked like a poor translation), pro-Hirt. And the fact you haven't posted in three months, then have resurfaced immediately within a couple of hours when I've posted negatively on somebody you say you don't even like much just tells me we're going to go round in circles on this again, just like we did in Sochi and just like we did in Hochfilzen. In fact, just about the only non-Czech to have received this kind of defence and support from you is Peter Sagan. That tells me all I need to know. I'm not interested in going through the circular arguments yet again. Either you're disingenuous, or you genuinely don't see why your posts are being seen - not just by me, I have seen several others call you out on it in threads that I've never even been in until recently - as fuelled by patriotism, and if the latter it's going to be hard to reconcile.

I've been to your country, and I found it beautiful. Prague is an amazing city though it is becoming a bit too touristy in places. Ústí is beautiful and the Czech Erzgebirge are a wonderful scenic area. I know people from the Republic who I've got on well with. As mentioned in my earlier post, I bear the Czech team no ill will, I like Vitková, I like Moravec (when I finally got out to go and see the World Cup in 2013, I cheered hugely for him when he got his first win, beating Martin Fourcade in the mass start at Holmenkollen, which won my fandom forever). I just can't stand Gabriela Soukalová and have no desire to get into another shouting match with you, that's all.
Actually I think we "clashed" about Fourcade. And of course I react mostly when talk is about Czech athletes, because they are mostly only ones I know something about and I don't write posts about things I know nil generally :) You are so wrong...with Sagan, patriotism...? I'm kind of opposite. I was in your country too. And quite a number other countries.

EDIT: Jumping at you...lol. Too funny. I meaned friendly, you could spare your rude tone.

Finally caught up on the weekends Biathlon action. After the yawn fest of Martin Fourcade in the men's races it's great to see the women's races produce lots of action. Makarainen with a great effort to win the pursuit but it could have gone to 6 or 7 ladies. This is the first of many great races in the women's division this year I'm sure. Even Goessner showed flashes of brilliance before blowing the last shoot.

Happy to see Weirer and Soukalova perform well and I'm big fans of both.

She has been top 5 in ski times for the most part this season, so we do seem to be seeing the Miriam Gössner of old back. Also really happy for Hildebrand, who has steadily improved year on year for five years now and got about a gazillion top 10s and top 20s without ever having a win (and with only one podium) until last week, where she's added another podium and a victory.

Schempp's last lap was crazy. I'm not the biggest fan of the german's but this win was really deserved. I'm a bit mad about Eder, because he once again decided to take 4 seconds on his rivals because of his fast shooting to loose 40 seconds because of his mistakes. I know his shooting abilities are great but the times in which he had to shoot way faster than anyone else are over, and he is now a strong enough cross country skier to get good positions with a little bit more tactical shootings.

Gigs_98 said:
Schempp's last lap was crazy. I'm not the biggest fan of the german's but this win was really deserved. I'm a bit mad about Eder, because he once again decided to take 4 seconds on his rivals because of his fast shooting to loose 40 seconds because of his mistakes. I know his shooting abilities are great but the times in which he had to shoot way faster than anyone else are over, and he is now a strong enough cross country skier to get good positions with a little bit more tactical shootings.
Yes, but I understand his choice. He'd have won the competition with 10/10 and that fast shooting. In a sprint, I'd say fast shooting can be a better choice than safe shooting, whereas in individuals it would never pay off.
Happy Schempp won. It's much more healthy for the sport than Fourcade winning

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
..manificat vs. sundby is quite a race. manificat gains consistently on the climbing parts to give back as much on the flat parts...
the french in general are doing remarkably well (3 in top 10 at a 17.2km check)

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
The sooner Marit Fourcade actually makes good on his threat to split time with XC the better. This is shaping up to be the least watchable season he's had yet.
Actually the danish pronounciation of norwegian first name 'Marit' is equal to 'Mareridt', which in turn translates into "nightmare" in english :) . In that sense I like your wordplay and find it very appropriate to the WC season development

TRENDING THREADS