• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
You beat us, Kokoso. No comeback from that argument. Ofcouse running 12.5 km is tougher than running 12.95 km. Joke aside, you do realise that all the other athletes had to run the same course as Fourcade, right? They also had to climb the same ascents as Fourcade. Why would that make it tougher for Fourcade then? I'm just wondering, cause you seem to have a very funny logic :confused:
Yep I didn't work this out thoroughly, I don't know how I did this, probably I was imagining Fourcade skiing hard uphill and Johannes on the flat and uphill seemed harder (joke). You and your briliant logic have me plus you have some great sense for fun obviously :)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
in the absence of wc races this week, the norwegian championship is probably the next best xc events to watch...

before i go into what impressed me so far, don't miss the 30k duathlon coming in 20 minutes. northug will but sundby wont be there... i hope the link is not georestricted:
https://tv.nrk.no/direkte/nrk1

i watched the classic 15 k individual and the skating sprints so far. those sundby's double poling wins are becoming ridiculously easy. again almost a minute on the runner up. at one point (i think it was a 11.7 km timing station) he was observed comfortably poling up while i saw some others were barely herring boning :rolleyes: krogh's sprinting win was convincing but i was puzzled by his losing almost 4 minutes in the 15k &#63

it was good to see jacobsen beating oestber some 30 minutes ago in a 15 k duathlon. oestberg was 'northuging' most of the way skating and to meet her justice was what i preferred..also heidi's sprinting win was sort of sweat revenge

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
The NRK link to the 30k works in Denmark, not that it says much of course.
Not much has happened so far in the classical part of the race. Dyrhaug trying to put pressure on Northug, but without much success.
they imo had the only chance to get rid of northug - on the steep parts of the classic course where everyone did the herring bone. they were long enough for a relatively light skier like roethe to get the fat-arsed petter winded. failing to do THAT, they knew he will beat everyone in the sprint as he actually did 5 min ago...

anyways, an interesting race. i thought gloersen will be more competitive and roethe more aggressive...

What impressed me most, was Andrew Musgrave's race and fighting spirit. I would have loved to see him walk away with the King's Cup today, unfortunately he ran out of petrol on the last fifty meters.

Cance > TheRest said:
BullsFan22 said:
What a joke. They should just have two separate races. One is for the Norwegians, the other is...for everyone else.
I Think it was a some very entertaining heats, regardless of the Norwegian dominance. Lots of crashes, close finishes and the tactical variations about ski wax played a big part in the competitions.

We see it all year after year in Drammen. It's the tricky conditions coupled with a tricky course. Not a technical course, but a course that is borderline between using grip wax vs skate skis. I think the only time they actually had a skate sprint in Drammen was 2004, and it was Januz Krezelok of Poland that won. They should alternate techniques. I hope they bring a skate sprint next season. Alternate venues and techniques as well. I get that it's tradition to have places like Kuusamo (narrower course as well), Drammen (Norwegians like classic better), Toblach (skate), Davos (skate), but they should mix it up. Davos has had only one classic sprint, that was three years ago.
Back to Drammen and using skate skis in classic races. I think it's not a good precedent FIS is setting. They shouldn't allow this. If it's a classic race, you bring your classic gear (boots, skis, poles you can decide on) with kick/grip wax. If you choose to double pole the entire course, do so at your own risk.

Honestly, if it was another country dominating for the whole season, I'd be saying the same thing. I think we can all agree that it would be even more entertaining if it were six different nations represented in the final heat. I think FIS and perhaps even the organizers wouldn't mind that.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
drammen sprints were interesting in the sense of equipment and tactics. i am not sure the double poling was the definitive advantage in drammen (the skating gear in the classic races is the separate subject alltogether). though northug won he had also been lucky or luckier than the competition, imo. to begin with, in his semifinal it was the incredible ski boot thrust that saved his day..also, i am uncertain he would out pole kriukov man-mano this time had the russian not been undercut. it's only a guess, but both were using skating in the prologue and petter was behind though by a whisker...kriukov is clearly getting in shape. he was leading his heat using a striding pair and was going to switch to a skating pair later..

also, among the ladies, i expected more from stina... somewhat surprising was to observe a team-wise consistent and competitive showing by the 'blue and red' ladies. their bronze was deserved but a luck, tbh

Re:

python said:
drammen sprints were interesting in the sense of equipment and tactics. i am not sure the double poling was the definitive advantage in drammen (the skating gear in the classic races is the separate subject alltogether). though northug won he had also been lucky or luckier than the competition, imo. to begin with, in his semifinal it was the incredible ski boot thrust that saved his day..also, i am uncertain he would out pole kriukov man-mano this time had the russian not been undercut. it's only a guess, but both were using skating in the prologue and petter was behind though by a whisker...kriukov is clearly getting in shape. he was leading his heat using a striding pair and was going to switch to a skating pair later..

also, among the ladies, i expected more from stina... somewhat surprising was to observe a team-wise consistent and competitive showing by the 'blue and red' ladies. their bronze was deserved but a luck, tbh

Yeah, the blue and red ladies deserve a bronze. "Deserve" as far as it's been a while, but it's not like they were knocking on the door all season and just now got one. It's good to see someone else on the podium though. I was really hoping that Lampic of Slovenia would make it to the final, but she just missed out. Still, a 7th is a career result and she is only 20!!

As far as Silver Stina is concerned, I think the disqualification was unfair. In my view, she didn't seem to do anything ridiculous. Even if she had a yellow card from before. I wonder if the Norwegians didn't want her to pick up that many points for the sprint overall title race....It's less than 20 points now.

Cance > TheRest said:
Max Rockatansky said:
http://canmorebiathlon.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/3.3-KM-Biathlon-Map-2015-v1.pdf

That one looks hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoGXzOVCw0
And beautiful.

Canmore is a truly beautiful place. Great, wide trails. Excellent conditions. Cold snow and when it's a good winter, MANY k's of skiing. I would even argue that it's more beautiful during the summer months. It doesn't get too hot, usually, and there are so many good training and opportunities. Hopefully we'll see more venture to this part of the world in the future, biathlon and cross country. The Ski Tour Canada next month will be exciting!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
....we have about 30 minutes to the start of the 50k classic in holmenkollen. most if not all the classic grands of the season will start. it's somewhat boring but almost 40% are from...norway starting in...norway.
:rolleyes:
interesting how hellner will perform after a season-long absence. vyleg would typically enter in a top shape. i will root for harvey and poltoranin, but we all know who will win, don't we ?
the start list
http://www.fis-ski.com/cross-country/events-and-places/calendar/

I am on the trainer (3hrs slow) watching the preparations now. Going to be awesome. 2004m of climbing, fog and warm. 20 Norwegians starting because of national quota. Russians are said to be on form, coming from altitude. Cologna also feeling quite well.

Been discussions wether it's been possible to do double poling only on the last lap

TRENDING THREADS