• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
markene2 said:
Baaah... Skiing loses its value if there is no competition

There is usually good competition in the men's WC circuit, it's just that Sundby is....well....better than everyone else, let's just say.

I try to watch all the races when i have time. But seeing Østberg, Johaug and Weng get the top places all the time is boring, the same with Sundby beeing the new Lance of skiing. It's not as fun, and market value decreses in other countries around the EU. At least Poltaranin snatches a victory once in a while.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
it makes it intriguing when vyleg decides to move immediately behind sundby...at half the distance. being one of the most astute skiers out there, he rarely misjudged his own strength. in fact, the classic 50 was where he would have excelled particularly

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Nice fight by Dyrhaug atleast.
Edit: nevermind . . .

"Nevermind?" I thought Dyrhaug put up a heck of a race. The race of his life, if we are to be honest. I also thought the group of 4 would actually stay together until the last couple of k, where I think Vylegzhanin would have the edge, as he is the top finisher of the 4, but clearly, Sundby was the strongest today. Again.

BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

"Nevermind?" I thought Dyrhaug put up a heck of a race. The race of his life, if we are to be honest. I also thought the group of 4 would actually stay together until the last couple of k, where I think Vylegzhanin would have the edge, as he is the top finisher of the 4, but clearly, Sundby was the strongest today. Again.
I never said the opposite. The "nevermind" was merely a sigh of disappointment when Sundby dropped him. I just really hoped Dyrhaug could stay with him, but it just wasn't meant to be. Anyway, Dyrhaug fought bravely just to stay with Sundby - better than at the stage in Tour de Ski where he was also the only one able to follow Sundby for a long time.

Cance > TheRest said:
BullsFan22 said:
Cance > TheRest said:

I never said the opposite. The "nevermind" was merely a sigh of disappointment when Sundby dropped him. I just really hoped Dyrhaug could stay with him, but it just wasn't meant to be. Anyway, Dyrhaug fought bravely just to stay with Sundby - better than at the stage in Tour de Ski where he was also the only one able to follow Sundby for a long time.

Wasn't it the Lillehammer skiathlon in December that he was able to stay with Sundby for a while?

Not to drag on with Sundby, but I am sure most here are aware of Sundby skating coming into the bridge, over it and again after it, before getting into the tracks. It was about 5 or 6 seconds worth of skating. I watched the German feed, the commentator didn't say a word. I checked SVT and NRK clip of the last bits of the race and they didn't say anything either. Of course the Norwegians wouldn't, but surprisingly the Swedes didn't. Though, honestly, judging by the tone they were reporting in, they could have cared less. Again, the Swedes were nowhere to be found today. Hellner was in the top 30. Just.

Re:

Mr. Brooks said:
Predictable or not, I was really, really happy to see a 50K mass start where the race was on from the word go. Anything else pales compared to that, IMO.
Val di Fiemme!

But yes, it was refreshing to see them going at it early on.

And Mayomaniac, yes, crazy great men's mass start race there. I was hoping Rastorgujevs could podium, but Windisch and Doll just had so much more left in the tank than him and Fillon-Maillet at the end.

Brullnux said:
Mayomaniac said:
Windisch was just awesome! :)

The double for Italy! I'm really not sure whether the spin at the end for Soukalova was necessary. It was just showbotaing really. She seemed on a mission to win as many fans as possible: smile fanatically into the last stretch despite being 3rd, and spin and showbaot.
The czechs are notorious for putting up a little show crossing the line. Watch Moravec, when he podiums in a mass start race. Other than that I don't see the problem.

Happy for Windisch, although I'm sure Rastorgujevs would have won with better skis.

Brullnux said:
Mayomaniac said:

The double for Italy! I'm really not sure whether the spin at the end for Soukalova was necessary. It was just showbotaing really. She seemed on a mission to win as many fans as possible: smile fanatically into the last stretch despite being 3rd, and spin and showbaot.
She always seems that way to me, it's a large part of why I don't like her, because it comes across as forced and put-on, rather than genuine.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Brullnux said:
Mayomaniac said:

Yeah, because third place is no reason to smile, bad bad result, she should cry crossing the line :rolleyes: And Moravec once celebrated in finish = Czech are notorius for for putting up little show :rolleyes: Jesus. Look at Tarjei Boe for example. He must have Czech ancestors or is Czech in his heart. And many others who once did some celebration. Lots of hidden Czechs around.

Nice playful joke from Soukalova. But she's always doing that spin trying to win as many fans as possible, doesn't she. Because people love it, don't they? Look at the reactions here, she made some new fans!

Kokoso said:
Brullnux said:
Mayomaniac said:

Yeah, because third place is no reason to smile, bad bad result, she should cry crossing the line :rolleyes: And Moravec once celebrated in finish = Czech are notorius for for putting up little show :rolleyes: Jesus. Look at Tarjei Boe for example. He must have Czech ancestors or is Czech in his heart. And many others who once did some celebration. Lots of hidden Czechs around.

Nice playful joke from Soukalova. But she's always doing that spin trying to win as many fans as possible, doesn't she. Because people love it, don't they? Look at the reactions here, she made some new fans!

Wierer was smiling normally. Soukalova less so. I just see no reason for the spin, especially when you came 3rd. Maybe when you've won, but i don't really see the need. Just seems a bit arrogant, but it might be just me.

I said nothing about Czechs, I just said Soukalova did it. No need to start turning this around :confused:

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Not to drag on with Sundby, but I am sure most here are aware of Sundby skating coming into the bridge, over it and again after it, before getting into the tracks.
here is the irrefutable proof - at least 5 steps.... but as we know even 24 hours later there were no official statements. not even (as far as i know) a single protest from any national feds :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/magnusdrivenes/status/695961599971094528

i feel as probably any informed fan the couple of steps made no difference. but in the environment when the sport is dominated by one nation, the sports federation is lead by a man from that nation and when that nations contributes 35-40% participants to a race. ..in such a tortured environment the sports rules must be adhered to regardless of such sickening domination.

the alternative is imo lack of credibility and justified suspicions. not to mention 'killing' the sport.

python said:
BullsFan22 said:
Not to drag on with Sundby, but I am sure most here are aware of Sundby skating coming into the bridge, over it and again after it, before getting into the tracks.
here is the irrefutable proof - at least 5 steps.... but as we know even 24 hours later there were no official statements. not even (as far as i know) a single protest from any national feds :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/magnusdrivenes/status/695961599971094528

Yes. The very first thing I thought as he started skating was, "what is this guy doing." I wonder if the fog played a role? As in, it fogged up the jury's thinking. I watched the entire race, but I won't bother looking back again to see other cases. But 5 or 6 seconds worth of skating COMING INTO THE FINISH is ridiculous.

TRENDING THREADS