• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Switzerland and Czech Republic can be medal contenders too if stars align.

I agree that overall Norway is probably the quickest in skiing. But you never know, how shooting goes, so that's the exciting part.

Re:

KZD said:
I feel that it will be between Germany and France. Norway has the strongest team regarding skiing but Eckhoff will probably go into the penalty loop, perhaps more than once. Italy might be a good pick for third if Windisch and Hofer have a good day in the range.

No Dahlmeier, but as long as Herman doesn't hit the penalty loop they should be ok.

Germany keeping it interesting. Probably about 20-25 second defecit at final changeover (edit, only 15). Christiansen has been rapid recently but he has limited big championship experience. Then again EHS did and he used to choke from time to time.

So Norwegians hit the targets and first gold for them. But shooting is going to mix it up and unlikely these championships would be as complete victory to them as in XC.

By the way, just as a fun fact. In Pyeongchang olympics Norway achieved 14 golds, which was considered a great achievement. In 2019 Nordic Ski championships they won already 13. Now in biathlon they have matched up to the olympic score, and that is without counting alpine skiing and other winter sports! 20 virtual olympic golds this year?

Re:

zarnack said:
By the way, just as a fun fact. In Pyeongchang olympics Norway achieved 14 golds, which was considered a great achievement. In 2019 Nordic Ski championships they won already 13. Now in biathlon they have matched up to the olympic score, and that is without counting alpine skiing and other winter sports! 20 virtual olympic golds this year?
The won 2 holds at the alpine WC as well. Are alpine, ski jumping, Nordic combined and biathlon and XC not where they win all their medals though?

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
zarnack said:
The won 2 holds at the alpine WC as well. Are alpine, ski jumping, Nordic combined and biathlon and XC not where they win all their medals though?

Speed skating, curling and some freestyle skiing too I think.

Speaking of medals, Olympics have that system where every medal counts the same, so you have an example where Serbia had 53 (out of 103) athletes coming home with a medal, none of them a multiple medalist but in the final rankings they only had 8 counted medals. It is because they won medals in both basketball competitions and also women's volleyball and men's waterpolo.
In the total rankings they would be beaten by Katie Ledecky alone only due to the fact that she can compete in multiple events because of her sport that makes ridiculous amount of disciplines and variations of swimming. Those guys in team sports only have one chance per Games.

Re:

search said:
if anyone was wondering why the 50k race in Olso starts that early this time (10 in the morning, instead of in the afternoon): last year people were so drunk, that the police & volunteers at the track could barely hold the crowds under control :D
I've been to Oslo. I'm amazed anyone can afford to get that drunk there.
Earlier discussion about how well they are doing at world championships this year, is there a chance that because they have so much money they fund world championships cycles as highly as Olympics, while others don't have that option?
Today I'm going with Vitozzi, though Oeberg would be nice to get the home crowd going.

TRENDING THREADS