• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 202 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
kingjr said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Bolshunov drops Klæbo, gets a warning for unsportsmanlike behaviour almost same time. Lol.
He blocked Iversen at the intermediate sprint... god knows why...

He didn't block him. He moved over for Chervotkin. He was clearly ahead of Iversen. He didn't even make contact with Iversen. Once again, double standards from the jury.
And he slammed the brakes when he moved over. He even looked at him before he did it.

kingjr said:
BullsFan22 said:
kingjr said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Bolshunov drops Klæbo, gets a warning for unsportsmanlike behaviour almost same time. Lol.

He didn't block him. He moved over for Chervotkin. He was clearly ahead of Iversen. He didn't even make contact with Iversen. Once again, double standards from the jury.
And he slammed the brakes when he moved over. He even looked at him before he did it.

"Slammed the brakes?" LOL. A bit overdramatic, don't you think? Again, he he was ahead, the skier that's ahead has the right of way, plus, again, he didn't make contact like Klaebo made contact (twice) with Ustiugov in the Seefeld sprint. If Bolshunov got a verbal warning for that, then Klaebo should have straight up been DQ'd, hence I said 'double standards.'

In the end, no harm done. Bolshunov wins the Holmenkollen 50, becoming the youngest man ever to win this race, overtakes Klaebo for the overall WC lead, increases his lead in the distance ranking and Iversen can enjoy his 12th place.

BullsFan22 said:
kingjr said:
BullsFan22 said:
kingjr said:
Libertine Seguros said:

"Slammed the brakes?" LOL. A bit overdramatic, don't you think?
No, it's just what happened.

The warning was a bit cheap, but it's quite strange to compare it to the situation in Seefeld between Klæbo and Ustiugov where they were racing a bit too tightly and ended up touching each other.

Here they were racing for a line, and he slowed down in front of it, looked back and jumped in front of the norwegian to seemingly let the the russian past and hinder the norwegian. One can of course discuss if he was so far ahead that it shouldn't matter, and if this is really worse than many other things that is allowed, but if this was a sprint to the finish line I'm pretty sure very few would have complained about the warning. In either case I think it's good to try to discourage this kind of behavior, but I'm not 100% sure it was deserved in this case.

In the biathlon, Johannes Thignes Boe got his second sprint world title, even with one miss he was able to beat a clean Loginov and Quentin Fillon Maillet. Impressive fourth by Pidruchny.
Fourcade shot clean but managed only sixth place. It seems that he won't reach his peak condition this season. Tomorrow he has his best race format but in his current shape even a podium will be difficult.
It starts to look like Johannes might get medals in all races.

Sad about Brorsson failing in the last range. Hope the Swedes get a medal somewhere for organizing the championships. 4ths and 5ths so far.

In the overall world cup it looks like it's going to be a battle of four down to the wire. Italians are doing their best to lose their advantage.

Not sure, what is with Bö and last shooting range. He is not exactly reliable there.

Pidruchnyi's victory is a major surprise though, which means that it's better not to predict anything for the next individual events. Let's just wait and see, what happens.

Not much to say about the sprint today. Business as usual. Klaebo dominates qualifications and wins the final comfortably. Bolshunov may be tired form the tough schedule, back to back 50k's and only a couple days rest to go again. He needed to get into the final to mathematically keep his jersey, but getting eliminated in the quarterfinals is way too early for a skier like him, particularly in the fight for the overall. He'll be massively disappointed, I am sure. I don't know how the Russians can nail the wax in Holmenkollen but butcher it in Drammen. I know that the long downhill always produces slingshots and if you can draft well you can make up tons of ground and save energy, but many of the Russians today couldn't even make up ground while drafting, their skis simply not gliding well enough. Klaebo moved into the lead in his quarter and semifinal on the long downhill before the left handed corner. The chances of him losing the WC was always going to be small, considering how many sprints there were post Seefeld. Bolshunov's shot is that he needs to podium in every distance race remaining, because Klaebo is likely to win the two remaining sprints. I feel that Bolshunov is the better skier overall, but there's just a lot of sprints and Klaebo takes full advantage. Plus the bad tactics in the TDS really hurt both Bolshunov and Ustiugov, who lost it on the penultimate day.

Yes, Klaebo apart from that defeat in Ruka, is unbeatable is classic sprint. Bolshunov should have done better but he lacked punch in the end. Now, the next race is a skate sprint in Falun, Bolshunov needs to qualify to the semi-finals or at least win the individual race in the next day. Also note to the first podium ever of Richard Jouve in a classic sprint.
On the ladies side, another win for Falla and a subpar performance from the Swedes while in the overall it looks like Natalia Nepryaeva might win, she is very complete like Bolshunov and is taking advantage of Oestberg looking tired.

Hats off to Pichler and his team. I don't know what he's doing for them that's lifting them up for major championships every time he coaches them (I am off course including the years when Ferry and Jonsson were doing well), but for the whole of the women's team to be producing best results of the season, at the same event is excellent!

Oh, and in the world cup overall the Italians get a bit of a breathing space again, because Röiseland and Kuzmina flopped completely. It's going back-and-forth. But with each event there are fewer races still to go, and it is getting ever harder for the chasers.

Cannot see Boe winning tomorrow. His shooting hasn't been anywhere near good enough this week so far. I'd say his brother is more likely. If Fourcade is going to do something this championships tomorrow is his best chance.
Basically I haven't got a clue.

TRENDING THREADS