• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 252 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Startlist for now has him on with Retivykh against Klaebo/Valnes. Italians with De Fabiani and Pellegrino.

Yep. Watched an interview with Ustiugov after the race today and he said that he decided not to take part tomorrow because the leg injury he sustained two days before the sprint is still giving him pain, especially on the corners. That’s really disappointing. First of all for him because he’s had so many health issues the past couple of seasons. He made a great recovery from Coronavirus to getting himself to actually not only race, but to then make the World Cup team in Finland and Sweden, earn himself a ticket to Germany, getting fifth in the sprint... I really thought he’d be the X factor the Russians needed to challenge the Norwegians in the team events. Even an injured Ustiugov was better than everyone but three Norwegians and Bolshunov. I think without the injury he and Bolshunov would have had a shot at beating Klæbo and Valnes (or anyone else the Norwegians decided to put with Klaebo). I sincerely hope he’s in form and stays healthy next season and gets a medal or two in Beijing. He’s way too good not to have a Olympic medal. It may be his last chance.

Line-ups for team sprints are out.

So no Ustiugov. I thought he was rested from skiathlon with that purpose in mind, so does that mean his form isn't really good enough? Then Russia will need to make changes for 15 km given that behind Bolshunov others struggled. Belov will be left out of 15 km, I assume.

USA has no Diggins and has Brennan/Bjornsen instead (both of who rested today). A somewhat surprising turn of events. Also no Svahn for Sweden (which was perhaps expected based on sprint), which means that Sundling is probably likely to take the anchor leg of 4x5 km relay as well.

Anyway, quite a lot of team sprints have seen group finishes on world cup due to easy courses. Also Seefeld WCH was effectively a group finish. Given the conditions, I wonder if tomorrow gives the opportunity to create some gaps? As in Lahti '17/Pyeongchang '18 at least.

Ustiugov injured his left leg during a time trial two days before the sprint. He was in good form, judging from the sprint. I think his form was only going to improve with each day, unfortunately the injury prevents him from challenging. He said he was picked for the team but had to withdraw. Very surprising to see Brennan and Bjornsen. Clearly they are saving Diggins for the 10km (her best shot at a medal) and the relay. They probably hope that Brennan and Bjornsen can use their distance skills to improve with each leg and Bjornsen has a decent finish. Caldwell clearly not in form. She’s raced every single individual sprint at a major championship since 2013, but no team sprint.

Norway and Russia will be interesting to see how Klaebo and Bolshunov are recovered from today. Norway might have been better off since they have the depth to have let Klaebo or Iverson out of today and pair that person with Valnes. You'd still make Klaebo and Valnes favourites probably but I reckon Italy could pull an upset with a rested De Fabiani and Pellegrino

I don't understand the point of pairing Bolshunov with Retyvikh, especially giving Gleb the second leg. Retyvikh has since recently adopted the Borzakovskiy tactics of running at the snails pace in the beginning of every race and giving it all on the final stretch, however, that tactics is pointless in the team sprint because he'll just throw away any gap created by Bolshunov. I think they should've tried with Terentiev or even better with Maltsev. Oberstdorf sprint loop just doesn't suit Retyvikh at all.

I just noticed one completely ridiculous thing about the men's individual sprint final. Svensson actually didn't have bad skis, he had WRONG (skating instead of classics) skis . That's why he double polled the whole course and ended up dead last. Crazy mistake.
Yes they made the choice beforehand to try without wax. Futile in this course but I doubt he could have taken a medal anyway.

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of pairing Bolshunov with Retyvikh, especially giving Gleb the second leg. Retyvikh has since recently adopted the Borzakovskiy tactics of running at the snails pace in the beginning of every race and giving it all on the final stretch, however, that tactics is pointless in the team sprint because he'll just throw away any gap created by Bolshunov. I think they should've tried with Terentiev or even better with Maltsev. Oberstdorf sprint loop just doesn't suit Retyvikh at all.

Yeah Ustiugov being out is a big loss for them. But it’s not like they don’t have other solid options. As you said, Terentjev and Maltsev wouldn’t have been bad choices. Terentjev has had good distance results so he has the endurance, he’s young, he’s fresh and he probably wants to do another race in his world Championship debut. Maltsev can sprint and he has the endurance as well, he already has a number of podiums in distance races, plus he is fresh and won the time trial before the opening race. A Terentjev and Maltsev pairing could get you a podium as well. After that you have Yakimushkin and Spitsov. Spitsov paired up with Bolshunov in Korea to win silver, skiing a very good final.

Battle between Norway and Russia in men's XC skiing, and Norway vs Sweden in the women's XC skiing reminds me a lot of the F1 battle between Mercedes and Ferrari in the recent years. Not only does Norway (Mercedes) have the stronger squad, but they keep winning the tactical battle as well. On an odd they when things don't go as smooth they'll make a mistake, but most of the time the mistakes are made by their opponents .

Just look at the Ustyugov example: they kept pressuring him to run the sprint, telling him that he can go home if doesn't run it etc... all it did was exaggerate his injury, eliminate him from the Team Sprint which was a far better race for them and the 15km where I think he really could've medaled and potentially giving him long term injury problems.
Now they put Retyvikh in the second leg with Bolshunov, additionally tiring Bolle in a pointless run for bronze medal at best! They don't put Spitsov in the skiathlon, but put an old guy Belov well past his prime who performed mediocre at best in the skating this season just because they have 3 groups and every group needs to be represented in a race. Just keep shooting themselves in the foot constantly.

EDIT: FIS did it again, men's Giant Slalom and Team Sprint collide, and once again Eurosport will broadcast the all important Giant Slalom race where you know Pinturault all but won both the small Crystal Globe in that discipline and an overall big Crystal Globe.

P.S. Speaking of F1, team USA surely looks really strong tomorrow - Schumacher and Hamilton.

Last edited:
Battle between Norway and Russia in men's XC skiing, and Norway vs Sweden in the women's XC skiing reminds me a lot of the F1 battle between Mercedes and Ferrari in the recent years. Not only does Norway (Mercedes) have the stronger squad, but they keep winning the tactical battle as well. On an odd they when things don't go as smooth they'll make a mistake, but most of the time the mistakes are made by their opponents .

Just look at the Ustyugov example: they kept pressuring him to run the sprint, telling him that he can go home if doesn't run it etc... all it did was exaggerate his injury, eliminate him from the Team Sprint which was a far better race for them and the 15km where I think he really could've medaled and potentially giving him long term injury problems.
Now they put Retyvikh in the second leg with Bolshunov, additionally tiring Bolle in a pointless run for bronze medal at best! They don't put Spitsov in the skiathlon, but put an old guy Belov well past his prime who performed mediocre at best in the skating this season just because they have 3 groups and every group needs to be represented in a race. Just keep shooting themselves in the foot constantly.

EDIT: FIS did it again, men's Giant Slalom and Team Sprint collide, and once again Eurosport will broadcast the all important Giant Slalom race where you know Pinturault all but won both the small Crystal Globe in that discipline and an overall big Crystal Globe.

P.S. Speaking of F1, team USA surely looks really strong tomorrow - Schumacher and Hamilton.

Belov isn’t really that old. He’s 30. Cologna is 34, Roethe 32, Holund 31, Golberg 30, Sundby 36 (racing only because he’s the defending 15km champion, and to give him a nice send off before retirement). I expected him to be in the top 10, at least, so him not racing well is a surprise. He skied well in the time trial, he deserved a place in at least one race here. The surprise for me was Chervotkin. Should have only kept him for the 50km. Spitsov would have been a better choice, I think he could have kept the pace during the classic portion and been a factor in the skate portion. I don’t have a problem with that, but the time trial and giving Ustiugov the ultimatum that if he doesn’t race the sprint he would not race at all. Without the injury he races the team sprint which suits him more as it’s in skating and likely another race or even the relay. Ass you said, they aggravated the injury and now they are stuck with Retivykh who doesn’t have what it takes at this time. Hopefully Ustiugov’s injury gets resolved and doesn’t become chronic, because it could easily be career ending if it keeps recurring. Same thing in regard to Nepryaeva. IMO came back way too quickly. She fractured her hand in the Falun 10km on January 29 and less than a month later she’s racing. Doesn’t make sense to force it. They needed to put Stupak with Sorina or Matsokina. Nepryaeva didn’t need to race today if she was going to race tomorrow, and maybe Stupak should have skipped today’s race as well. The Swedes and Norwegians have two fresh skiers, so do the Swiss and the Americans. If they win medals in both the men’s and women’s races tomorrow I’ll be very impressed. Bolshunov may be what saves the Russians with his incredible consistency and strength.

I kinda get the idea of keeping Spitsov fresh for the 15km race, him, Bolshunov, and 2 out of Maltsev, Melnichencko or Yakimushkin (I'd pick the first 2 and would try to keep Yakimushkin fresh for the other races).

Retyvikh seems to be one of the few guys who's close friends with Bolshunov and they are a tested team, but yes, let Bolshunov rest a bit.

Piotr Żyła is going around Oberstdorf inebriated and if the content in Polish is half as entertaining as watching him deliver it, these are some of the best non-Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig interviews of the last two years.

The odd thing is that while Polish men are good, their women are nowhere in ski jumping. Such a huge contrast.

In other news, Slovenia is doing well in these WCH. 4 medals already, and they will probably add more (even women's team sprint isn't ruled out).

Battle between Norway and Russia in men's XC skiing, and Norway vs Sweden in the women's XC skiing reminds me a lot of the F1 battle between Mercedes and Ferrari in the recent years.

Well yeah, the duopoly in both men's and women's XC is really noteworthy. And it would be most reflected in distance relays. While it looks like Russia will have a difficult time against Norway in 4x10 given results in skiathlon, the 4x5 could be another classic showdown just like in Seefeld.

However, team sprint is still more open simply for the reason that falls and accidents can easily happen. However, it's obvious what Russia's strategy is. Bolshunov is sent out on the first leg to try to exhaust Valnes (and the rest) with high tempo throughout the 3 laps. So he doesn't get a break from needing to working hard. And even if he does get a gap, Retivykh would be just like Iversen in Lahti '17 to lose all that.

But at least it will make team sprint somewhat more interesting. Bolshunov will make sure we won't get a group finish, but at least something will be happening during the race.

That last climb by Klaebo was something special. Incredible uphill sprint by him. I kept saying Retyvikh was a bad choice, because this race is only called the sprint, but when it's raced hard like today, it's much much tougher.

The choice of Nepryaeva is another shot in the foot. She was having a pretty bad season by her standars, broke a hand just one month ago, yet they put her in all 3 races so far....

TRENDING THREADS