• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 286 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
100% this, that would be the way to go, but I don't know if they'll actually be smart enough to do that.

In Korea, they had Larkov as their lead off. He and Poltoranin made a break and got a decent gap to Norway. Bolshunov at one point had over 40 seconds to Sundby, but paid for it on the last lap, and Sundby, with the help of Italy and France brought the gap down by 10 seconds. I am not sure that even 40 seconds would have been enough for Chervotkin. He got caught by Krüger and then leaked another 15 seconds. Spitsov had to ski hard to try and catch up. He did, but his skis were not good. Not only compared to Klæbo, but also Backscheider. He never stood a chance against Klæbo with those skis.

More long and tough courses with actually long and complex climbs on them.

Baba also overtook Tønseth at the end.
The Pustertaler Skimarathon has the Skating event finish on the Plätzwiese. 6.3kms at 8.4% featured by 5kms on a pretty easy course at almost 2,000m of altitude at the end.
PSM-skating-track2022.png

Apparently Ustigov is racing the Skimarathon this weekend, but maybe only the 62km classic race.

A bit suspicious to see Moch and Bögl this high. I hope it’s a case of saving something the last couple stages in preparation for today and/or taking advantage of tired overall leaders. I think it’s even more suspicious to see Klæbo skiing this well in a hill climb where he didn’t do so well in the two other times he took part in. And this after a bruising 15km yesterday on a tough course, 41+ minutes for a 15km in this day and age is unusual.
Spitsov got stuck early in the climb and had to meander through a number of people. He lost the stage and third because of that. Terrible positioning. Chervotkin’s pace setting in the flat sections didn’t do his team too much of a service.

A bit suspicious to see Moch and Bögl this high. I hope it’s a case of saving something the last couple stages in preparation for today and/or taking advantage of tired overall leaders. I think it’s even more suspicious to see Klæbo skiing this well in a hill climb where he didn’t do so well in the two other times he took part in. And this after a bruising 15km yesterday on a tough course, 41+ minutes for a 15km in this day and age is unusual.
Spitsov got stuck early in the climb and had to meander through a number of people. He lost the stage and third because of that. Terrible positioning. Chervotkin’s pace setting in the flat sections didn’t do his team too much of a service.
Moch is still young and got 3 medals at the 2020 junior WC, probably the biggest talent that Germany has seen in a long time. He had the 7th best time in the Ruka pursuit this year, was 10th in the Lathi Skiathlon last year and is rather light.
We've seen way more eyebrow raising prformances on this climb on the years and I'm not only talking about my "riding buddy" Joe...

Moch is still young and got 3 medals at the 2020 junior WC, probably the biggest talent that Germany has seen in a long time. He had the 7th best time in the Ruka pursuit this year, was 10th in the Lathi Skiathlon last year and is rather light.
We've seen way more eyebrow raising prformances on this climb on the years and I'm not only talking about my "riding buddy" Joe...

I am aware of Moch’s exploits, he is also better in skate than classic, just didn’t really see him figuring in the podium. Bögl had a good race in Ruka, but since then he’s been about where he’s usually been, in 15-25 or so.

Well, we can take the discussion on which performances on this climb have been suspect, but we’d need to take it to the clinic.

100% this, that would be the way to go, but I don't know if they'll actually be smart enough to do that.

Depending on form, there'll be an argument for Norway to put Klaebo on the second leg to match Bolshunov. Go Valnes, Klaebo, Krueger and Iverson. You guarantee at least being on par with Russia going into the final leg there imo whereas on current form you'd expect Golberg to be dropped by Bolshunov and you're hoping Krueger can close down Spitsov or Klaebo closes Ustyugov down.

Depending on form, there'll be an argument for Norway to put Klaebo on the second leg to match Bolshunov. Go Valnes, Klaebo, Krueger and Iverson. You guarantee at least being on par with Russia going into the final leg there imo whereas on current form you'd expect Golberg to be dropped by Bolshunov and you're hoping Krueger can close down Spitsov or Klaebo closes Ustyugov down.

Where will Iversen find his form? Even then, you’re asking him to do a 10km skate at altitude, on a tough course?

TRENDING THREADS