• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 293 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only way that Johaug loses, if she hasn’t been too affected by later arrival and general anxiety over Covid testing, is if the strong winds blow her away.

I expect the two Swedes to be up there, Nepryaeva and one or two of her teammates (Sorina and Stupak, if they are in form), the Americans are going to be up there if they can hang in the classic portion, and that can sometimes be a big if. Stadlober could be dangerous, Hennig should do well in the classic portion, but will likely lose positions in the skate and that will also happen to the Finns. Maybe Pärmäkoski can hang around a bit longer. This may truly be a ‘lottery’ Olympics.

yesterday there were only 2 positives within the bubble though, so it seems to work quite well so far. In regards to the Nordic Combined, problem was probably more that FIS decided to held a World Cup a couple of days before the Olympics. Riiber said, due to the wind breaks, they spent a lot of time in the tower, allowing potential infections to spread easily - and that seems to be what happened.

The Match TV article about Terentyev says February 5, but maybe it isn't quite accurate. Stadlober arrived late as well, btw, due to a positive test last week.

yesterday there were only 2 positives within the bubble though, so it seems to work quite well so far. In regards to the Nordic Combined, problem was probably more that FIS decided to held a World Cup a couple of days before the Olympics. Riiber said, due to the wind breaks, they spent a lot of time in the tower, allowing potential infections to spread easily - and that seems to be what happened.

The Match TV article about Terentyev says February 5, but maybe it isn't quite accurate. Stadlober arrived late as well, btw, due to a positive test last week.

How is Stadlober expected to do tomorrow with traveling late? There’s a 7 hour diffence between Austria and Beijing. Not optimal.

How is Stadlober expected to do tomorrow with traveling late? There’s a 7 hour diffence between Austria and Beijing. Not optimal.
not sure how much of an issue the different time zones are. I read that some don't even plan to change rhythm, as most starts are late anyway. But yeah, in terms of acclimatization it probably isn't ideal. She did her first training session yesterday, and said that she expects more for a later race, like the 10k C for example.

Reminds me somewhat of the Krylatskoye Ring cycling venue from the Moscow Olympics, all these waving routes snaking up and down the hillside in parallel.

The Diggins telethon team has been broken up, with Posey Musgrave coming in to keep Patrick Winterton on a leash and stop him from crying too much as for once his insistence on blaming the skis every time she isn't winning might have some grounds.

The Finns on the other hand are looking great on the classic legs because they've been so good with preparations for distance classic all year. No team upholds the tradition of distance classic like Finland. Praise be to Finland!

Superb for Stadlober, after the heartbreak of Pyeongchang, and sad for Finland after all the work and being so great in the classic legs to leave with nothing.

In some ways it's actually kind of good that Johaug won, seeing as after a career like hers the fact she had no individual gold medals at the Olympics until today which just seemed wrong, but it is also rather... dull.

Well Johaug in a class of her own, she is now the favourite even for the 10km race especially after the disappointing performance from Karlsson who I never expected to be outside of medals under normal circumstances.
Nepryaeva was strong and got herself a medal in the final sprint as I predicted but didn't expected Stadlober to get a medal.

The Finns suffered a bit in the skating part but Niskanen is in the great shape and should get a medal in the 10km race

Well deserved medals for Nepryaeva and Stadlober. The Finns, well, only Niskanen in the end, kind of missed their tactics a bit. They certainly had the best skis in the classic portion of the race, but maybe spent a bit too much time leading the chasing group. I am surprised by how well Niskanen has skied this season.

I don’t know what happened to the Swedes, especially Andersson. She was right there and all of a sudden she seemed like she hit a wall. Looked like a totally different skier.

Another very disappointing result was Stupak. I thought she’d be a shoe in for the top 10. She had Covid during the Summer, but she had some solid races. Not sure what’s happened to her if it’s skis or the cold or simply poor form.

Another very notable race was Rygalina, she made the Russian national team just last spring, while racing the visma classics. I now wonder if she’ll get a place in the Russian relay team. That however means they may have to leave someone like Sorina or Stepanova out. Nepryaeva and Stupak need to ski the classic legs, unless they go with Nepryaeva as anchor, as they did in Oberstdorf last season. Rygalina’s focus was actually the 30km skate, so if she’s skiing this well today, she could be a definite wild card for the medal fight.