• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 331 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's about her exuding that vibe of a Disneyland member of staff, of 'forced fun', like it isn't enough to be enthusiastic or happy, you have to make sure that everybody knows at all times that you are enthusiastic and happy, and that's extremely tiresome - precisely as in Sciatic's anecdote.
I have to say that this parable is spot on. However, commenting looks as in looks and personality should be a no go zone. Behavior in and during competetion is something else, and I think your point is valid.

Reading Swedish media it seems like he is an idiot and has no idea what he is doing. What worse is that he has taken on leadership role and influenced the younger male skier in a bad way (especially Victor Thorn who ruined his talent by wrong training) which led to the complete breakdown of Swedish mens team. However, I think it’s better now, for instance him and Poromaa are good friends but it seems Poromaa is not taking any advise related to training.

I don’t know if he’s an idiot, but I always questioned his tactics in mass start/relay races, particularly going up against Northug back in the day. He would always focus on Northug and not on his own race. He had the capacity to do something, but always tried to do whatever Northug was doing.

Halfvarsson is a ladies’ man and sneered for it, not at least by guys like Iversen. Maybe something into it, or just an ounce of envy, since rumors tells he's a sizeable man. Hopefully he can produce some more seasons with full focus on training and competition.

But he’s 33, and always get sick (often times more than once) during the year. He’s far too inconsistent. The saving grace for him is that the Swedish men don’t have a lot of options in distance racing these days.

Laegreid of last year is back today. Absolute rocket skis and excellent drills in the range.

I would say he is actually faster than last year at this moment which bodes really well to fight for the World cup again in the future, the problem this season has been his shooting especially during the Olympics but it seems to be improving again lately.

Last edited:
How do people feel about limiting numbers of participants from the stronger nations. Personally for me if you are world class (arbitrary line in the sand top 25) you should be able to compete. Admittedly is would mean next year Norway may have 8 competitors in biathlon, but its better for competition and means the most deserving get to compete. But without taking away places from the weaker nations.

Sivert Bakken wins the last race and gets a discipline globe. He isn't even on the Norwegian national team, but on the recruitment team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bjøntegård, who won the IBU-cup, retires. It must feel impossible to get on the Norwegian team atm. It is just a flood of talents coming up.

Sivert Bakken wins the last race and gets a discipline globe. He isn't even on the Norwegian national team, but on the recruitment team.

Bakken is the revelation of this season, not as strong as Lægreid last year, that would have been virtually impossible but he ends up with the mass-start crystal globe in the day that he reaches his first career win. Speaking about Lægreid he also finishes the World Cup really well and ends up in the same position as last year, second even with a clearly worse season.

As for Elvira Öberg, she didn't deserve this end, for someone that was so good during the whole season, having the mass-start crystal globe taken away from her by a teammate and not getting an individul gold in the Olympics is disappointing but at least she got the gold in relay and has many years to win the World Cup maybe next year already.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bjøntegård, who won the IBU-cup, retires. It must feel impossible to get on the Norwegian team atm. It is just a flood of talents coming up.
Hence my post above. I guess Norways 2nd team would be 3rd or 4th favourites in a mens relay?

That was more a case of Wilhelm losing it on her own rather than Henkel taking it away from her.
The margin was bigger but other than I can’t see any difference. They are individual athletes and ofcourse they should do their best. If Persson had been aware it’s possible she wouldn’t have overtaken Öberg but they should focus on their own race instead of what points their teammates needs.

Reactions: BigCoward

TRENDING THREADS