• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 337 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I brought myself to watch some of the women’s race, and the Swedish women look predictably strong, and this without Sundling and Svahn. Can you imagine those two in the squad, and if Nilsson never retired, and you have Dahlqvist, Ribom, Hagström, Dyvik, and Karlsson who is also capable of making it far in sprints?

The men’s races would be a waste of time. The only guys tomorrow that could challenge the Norwegian sweep are Poromaa and Halfvarsson, judging by early season form, and that’s saying a lot.

I brought myself to watch some of the women’s race, and the Swedish women look predictably strong, and this without Sundling and Svahn. Can you imagine those two in the squad, and if Nilsson never retired, and you have Dahlqvist, Ribom, Hagström, Dyvik, and Karlsson who is also capable of making it far in sprints?

The men’s races would be a waste of time. The only guys tomorrow that could challenge the Norwegian sweep are Poromaa and Halfvarsson, judging by early season form, and that’s saying a lot.
Then again, sprints are never interesting unless you're there in person.
De Fa top 10 today?

Potentially a miracle happening on the ski jumping: Eurosport have a commentator who actually knows something about the sport, they've put Jernej Damjan next to Goldstrom to do some analysis.

However, some creature comforts must remain, as we resume usual service on Jessie Diggins and Friends World Cup cross-country.

Last edited:
Only about 30s seperating top 10 in women's. Suggests it could be good to watch this year.

Yes, the competition level there seems to be high, though the Swedes had the upperhand yesterday and today. Karlsson seems like the biggest World Cup candidate given that she is also a decent sprinter unlike Andersson.

As for the men Klæbo wins the first two races, so it should be pretty boring although Golberg was very good in both races so he looks like the only one remotely capable of challenging him this season given the new points system. Halvarsson also going pretty well.

Curious to see the pursuits tomorrow especially the women's side, 20k is a pretty long distance.

Last edited:
Klaebo has often won the classic race in Ruka against better competition than this, so it's no surprise. Hard to find a place where he has a better track record than this in distance races, maybe the tracks in val di Fiemme (even if that's a mass start).

I almost expect Moch to have one of the top 3 skating times tomorrow, imo he'll be one of the fastest.

Klaebo has often won the classic race in Ruka against better competition than this, so it's no surprise. Hard to find a place where he has a better track record than this in distance races, maybe the tracks in val di Fiemme (even if that's a mass start).

I almost expect Moch to have one of the top 3 skating times tomorrow, imo he'll be one of the fastest.
Also with it being 10km rather than 15 it also exacerbates it of course, making endurance less of a factor as, although he has shown himself capable over longer distances plenty, he can just go all out all guns blazing throughout over 10k.

Also with it being 10km rather than 15 it also exacerbates it of course, making endurance less of a factor as, although he has shown himself capable over longer distances plenty, he can just go all out all guns blazing throughout over 10k.
I think that helps him a lot more in skating races, in classic races he's a legit top contender even in distance races.
Someone like Pellegrino and even modern day De Fabiani profit a lot from the shorter distance, also someone like Valnes.
Guys like Niskanen and Holund are probably not exactly thrilled about it.
Still, if we had a 20km pursuit in the other technique one day later every single distance world cup (and no more skiathlons) I wouldn't mind it.

Karlsson crushing things, but of course the star of the day is Diggins because she gained so much that she... didn't gain anything on Karlsson actually, but she was probably 3rd best skier on the day, had enough left to be competitive in the group for 3rd after gaining around 30 seconds to join it along with Østberg. She looks lke she might have got baulked on the final climb though. Karlsson had plenty left in the tank though I think, and possibly Andersson too as they seemed fairly easy throughout, and Ebba was under no danger of being caught so didn't seem to be going 100% once she realised she had no hope of catching Frida again. The Finns, rightly, feel this should be the other way round, 10km in free and 20km pursuit in Classic. Winterton likes "new distances", highlighting the similarity to the prologues from the Tour de Ski (eh?!). Dixon was "initially skeptical" but "is liking it more" the closer to the front Diggins got. The Germans had a pretty miserable day at the office there dropping a fair bit of time from the group and finding themselves in no-woman's-land hanging off the group but safely ensconsced ahead of the third group with Fähndrich, Fossesholm and Stadlober.

Neither of them know anything about Anne Kjersti Kalvaa whatsoever though, or thought to find anything out overnight.

Edit: Classic Winterton... "since they're doing the same distance today, it's a real shame that they didn't have the men do 10km yesterday same as the women"... Dixon just sits there in silence until Patrick goes "oh, my mistake, they did".

Edit: this men's race is an absolute travesty. May as well have been a Mass Start.

Last edited:
Reactions: OJRvE
Lindholm and Pellegrino benefitted from following other skiers and a mostly flat course. Something similar happened in the women's race with Tiril Weng getting third (surprised to see Theodorsen in fifth though). Still, I bet that Pellegrino gets into the top10 in the 10k individual next friday.

Next tuesday starts the biathlon world cup. In the women's side neither Olsbu or Eckhoff will race in Kontiolahti so I think just like in XC, the Swedes should be the favourites, especially Elvira Oberg that seems to be the strongest out of the two sisters and was the fastest skier during several parts of last season with an improved shooting as well. Still, I don't rule out Olsbu if she returns stronger after the Christmas break or a surprise like Simon.

In the men's the biggest question will be if Johannes Boe can win his fourth World Cup title or if Quentin Fillon Maillet will defend his title. If the Frenchman can maintain last years incredible shape, he will be hard to beat but I narrowly favour the Norwegian. It will be interesting to see if Samuelsson can take a step up and fight for the overall until the end and almost all other Norwegians, especially Laegreid also have a small chance to win the overall.

Strange men's race indeeed. Krüger with the fastest skating time is no surprise, but Remi frostbite *** Lindholm with the 3rd fastest and Pellegrino with the 4th fastest is a bit of a surprise to me.

Klæbo wasn’t going particularly hard at the start, and once he was caught, they slowed down the pace. You regularly see this in the Ruka pursuit, that’s why guys like Patterson and Lindholm and Furger had times in the top. There’s a reason why they were all well outside the top 30 yesterday.

I thought it was harsh to DQ Halfvarsson, but ok, people have been DQ’d for less. Happy for Pellegrino and Cramer. De Fabiani didn’t have a great race today, but he was strong in the two classic races.

On one hand I want others to win and get on the podium, but on the other I want the Norwegians to dominate just to show to FIS how bad their decision to continue the ban of Russian skiers. 40% of FIS Cross Country viewership last year was from Russia.

Klæbo wasn’t going particularly hard at the start, and once he was caught, they slowed down the pace. You regularly see this in the Ruka pursuit, that’s why guys like Patterson and Lindholm and Furger had times in the top. There’s a reason why they were all well outside the top 30 yesterday.

I thought it was harsh to DQ Halfvarsson, but ok, people have been DQ’d for less. Happy for Pellegrino and Cramer. De Fabiani didn’t have a great race today, but he was strong in the two classic races.

On one hand I want others to win and get on the podium, but on the other I want the Norwegians to dominate just to show to FIS how bad their decision to continue the ban of Russian skiers. 40% of FIS Cross Country viewership last year was from Russia.
Yeah, I only looked at the results and didn't watch the race.

Dear god, for once I actually agree with you about the Russian athletes being excluded!

That said - if Ruka was any indication, well, I just don't wish to see more of this extremely boring and predictable Norwegian Army marching in and about. Sweden and Finland may compete once in a while, but next week in Lillehammer I'm not sure will be even worth the watch. (Norway will sweep the podium once again.)

Dear god, for once I actually agree with you about the Russian athletes being excluded!

That said - if Ruka was any indication, well, I just don't wish to see more of this extremely boring and predictable Norwegian Army marching in and about. Sweden and Finland may compete once in a while, but next week in Lillehammer I'm not sure will be even worth the watch. (Norway will sweep the podium once again.)

Halfvarsson isn’t steady, and he’ll likely drop off after next week. He often gets sick and misses his form for the 2nd half of the season, or he’s bad during the first half and comes on after a major championship, as he did last season.

When Pellegrino gets third in a 20km skate race, you know how pedestrian it was. Valnes and Stenshagen had no business being that far up either, but the pace was slow and the chasing group was far back.

With Lillehammer next, they’ll be a ton of Norwegians there. The host countries have more starting rights, plus all the ones in the red group. There could be 15-20 Norwegian men next weekend.

Yeah, you have to remember that Norway optimized their team for 10 classics with the likes of Valnes and Iversen. Back home they got guys like Röthe, Tönseth and Amundsen whom are perfectly suited for a 10+20 double. For some reason Krueger cant handle the Ruka classic track so he”ll be up there coming weeks aswell. If I remember correctly, last year Norway had superior skis in Lillehammer and it was a total demolition with like 8 men top ten.

Halfvarsson isn’t steady, and he’ll likely drop off after next week. He often gets sick and misses his form for the 2nd half of the season, or he’s bad during the first half and comes on after a major championship, as he did last season.

When Pellegrino gets third in a 20km skate race, you know how pedestrian it was. Valnes and Stenshagen had no business being that far up either, but the pace was slow and the chasing group was far back.

With Lillehammer next, they’ll be a ton of Norwegians there. The host countries have more starting rights, plus all the ones in the red group. There could be 15-20 Norwegian men next weekend.
I guess Klaebo will go into Olsson style hibernation to prepare for the WC once the World Cup leaves Norway. Last year he peaked too early for the Tour de Ski (the way he demolished the field in Val di Fiemme from the front when he could have just waited for the sprint and ended up 5th on the Alpe Cermins was perhaps his most impressive performance ever).

At least I#m over the moon when it comes to Alpine Skiing because Wendy finally won her first race.

Last edited:
I guess Klaebo will go into Olsson style hibernation to prepare for the WC once the World Cup leaves Norway. Last year he peaked too early for the Tour de Ski (the way he demolished the field in Val di Fiemme from the front when he could have just waited for the sprint and ended up 5th on the Alpe Cermins was perhaps his most impressive performance ever).

At least I#m over the moon when it comes to Alpine Skiing because Wendy finally won her first race.

I don't think that he is going to skip Tour de Ski honestly. Without Bolshunov he has a unique opportunity of winning his fourth World Cup title that would get himself closer to Dæhlie's record of six but given the new points system he will need to race the TDS it if he wants to win it. Even if he goes to the Tour de Ski and doesn't reach the World Championships in top shape, and one thing doesn't necessarily mean the other, he will always be the heavy favourite in the sprint, 'guaranteed' gold medal in the team sprint and relay and even with a shot at the 50km classic.

So I think the downside is clearly bigger than the upside that would basically just give him a slightly bigger chance in races that he won‘t never be the favourite, especially the 15km and 30km but losing the overall Crystal Globe in the process.

Last edited:
Lampič sets the fastest ski time on the IBU Cup by a minute, but will either scrape the flower ceremony or just miss out and be lower top 10 (depending on Sara Andersson's final lap) because of 6/10 shooting. And the debate with BullsFan can begin again that any XC skier worth their salt would win any biathlon race easily with 7/10, despite that in the last 15 years only two women (Miriam Gössner and Ingrid Landmark Tandrevold) have even managed to get a win with 75%, and the latter was massively wind affected. Personally, I think Anamarija Lampič is worth her salt as a cross-country skier, but on 7/10 she would have been 2nd, beaten by Marthe Kråkstad Johansen.

Edit: Andersson's final lap dropped her a long way, she's only a teenager mind, so Anamarija should get some flowers on debut. I know Herrmann won her first IBU Cup race on 4/10 but that wasn't representative, everybody was missing huge amounts in this race, this is more even and you would absolutely expect Lampič to smoke this field for ski time by a considerable margin, the best other skiers here are the likes of Janina Hettich and she is here because she was demoted due to uncompetitive skiing at the World Cup level. However, the fact she has been doing this straight away rather than struggling for form on the skis like Stina Nilsson did suggests she should be able to adapt quickly like Herrmann did rather than take a couple of seasons to find her feet like Stina.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS