• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Page 370 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Speaking of him, I saw on social media that he's still training (he also owns a few skistores in his homecountry) and his ban ends on the 28th...

there's no mention of a potential start in Planica in Kazakh media, as far as I can see, but Poltoranin may return for next season indeed

there's no mention of a potential start in Planica in Kazakh media, as far as I can see, but Poltoranin may return for next season indeed

He's clearly gonna pull a Vino at the next Olympics.:cool:

As interesting as that would be, I don’t see him getting back to the level he was. He’ll be 36 this year and he hasn’t done a FIS sanctioned race in 4 years. If he’s done any racing, it was likely only in Kazakhstan. It would have been fascinating had he hung on to Niskanen in the 50km in Korea. Makes you wonder.
Yeah I know. I used to be a big fan of his because of his super smooth classic skiing, that was a joy to watch.

Will someone finally tell Ogden that he should go full gas during the 2nd half of the heats and not during the first half, only to fade in the end?

Valnes peaking right for the WC, 1sec faster than Klaebo during the qualifying heat.
On the women's side it looks like Skistad is the only one capable of really challenging the Swedish armada.

I like the course. There seems to be a lot of uphill to do damage and ensure separation.
'
'Diggins finding something special in the last 50m like she always seems to do', finishes 5th, They were giving her credit for someone elses fast finish..

A lot of falls that are nobodies fault but their own.

Last edited:
I like the course. There seems to be a lot of uphill to do damage and ensure separation.
'
'Diggins finding something special in the last 50m like she always seems to do', finishes 5th, They were giving her credit for someone elses fast finish..
Diggins with the Ogden tactic of making the heat fast for the others from the start, only to fade at the end.
Yeah, that long climb has 30m of altitude gain, imo the course is too hard for Mocellini.

The young Italians with glitter on their face, cursed be Jess for corrupting the youth!

Missed the women's final. What happened to the Norwegians? They seemed very competitive in the semi finals.
They blew up on the steep climb. Looks like the course was a bit too hard for Skistad to race every race from the front, in the end her tank was just empty.
I'm more surprised about a good distance skier like Tiril blowing up like this, doesn't bode well for her chances in the distance races.

Italy fail on the men's side, with such a hard course I actually gave De Fabiani the best chances among them when it comes to making the final because of his recovery/ability as a distance skier in classic mass starts.

They blew up on the steep climb. Looks like the course was a bit too hard for Skistad to race every race from the front, in the end her tank was just empty.
I'm more surprised about a good distance skier like Tiril blowing up like this, doesn't bode well for her chances in the distance races.

Italy fail on the men's side, with such a hard course I actually gave De Fabiani the best chances among them when it comes to making the final because of his recovery/ability as a distance skier in classic mass starts.

I still think Mocellini should have been good enough to at least make the semis.

After what I saw from Tiril Weng in Toblach I was surprised that she reached the final here. I don't think she has any chance in the distance races.

Swedish women did the like the Norwegian men in the biathlon sprint race, they could actually go 1-2 in the team sprint if they were allowed.

On the men's side, Chappaz was the big surprise, he showed promise in the earlier races this winter but a podium in the Worlds is impressive. No words needed about Klæbo, he is getting into almost a Bolt like dominance in the sprint but tomorrow he will have a real challenge after Valnes crashed today. Another good very race from Novak this season and watch out for Golberg tomorrow his skating has improved this season.

Ok so Calle says he forgot to eat and therefore lacked the energy needed in the final. Incredible stupid but cannot say I am surprised. Atleast we have womens team taking things seriously.

After what I saw from Tiril Weng in Toblach I was surprised that she reached the final here. I don't think she has any chance in the distance races.

Swedish women did the like the Norwegian men in the biathlon sprint race, they could actually go 1-2 in the team sprint if they were allowed.

On the men's side, Chappaz was the big surprise, he showed promise in the earlier races this winter but a podium in the Worlds is impressive. No words needed about Klæbo, he is getting into almost a Bolt like dominance in the sprint but tomorrow he will have a real challenge after Valnes crashed today. Another good very race from Novak this season and watch out for Golberg tomorrow his skating has improved this season.
With the conditions making it really hard I actually think that the top distance skiers who didn't ski today might have the edge tomorrow (someone like Krüger, for example). Novak finishing 4th in a classic spint is a surprise to me. I know he got more top 10 results in sprints than in distance races this season, but it looks like he's in monster shape, perhaps as good as he was when he got two 5th places in the first 2 skating races of the season.

About Tiril Weng, back then I was thinking that she might just have a heavy training block at that time to make her underperform.
When it comes to the team sprint I'm under the impression that you can actually try something with good distance skiers on this course, it's hard enough. Watch out for the American women.

[QUOTE="Mayomaniac, post: 2797087, .]
When it comes to the team sprint I'm under the impression that you can actually try something with good distance skiers on this course, it's hard enough. Watch out for the American women.
[/QUOTE]
Johaug would probably have been a decent asset on this course with that climb.

[QUOTE="Mayomaniac, post: 2797087, .]
Johaug would probably have been a decent asset on this course with that climb.
[/QUOTE]

That’s what team sprints have become over the years, sometimes it’s a mix of one sprinter+one distance skier, other times it’s two distance skiers. Even when the course isn’t so tough, endurance comes into play, and pure sprinters can find it tough.

TRENDING THREADS