• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Not Official: No Galibier and telegraphe in le tour?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well it was always going to be this. There really aren't many ways to get from Modane to Oisans that ASO would go for in this case...It was an obvious case of replacing the Galibier with a similar-difficulty climb and keeping the race distance. They probably want this one raced from the start like what happened last time they did it with Contador going on the Telegraphe (and failing, if I recall).

I actually commend them for sticking with some semblance of a plan. This stage doesn't even bug me that much as I do like the classic alpine climbs. I just wish we'd have something new that wasn't as horribly misused as Chaussy. It's like they set-up stages with new climbs placed in illogical places ("Why, hello Mr. Grand Colombier, I got just the right place for you on an otherwise crap transitional stage") just so they can never try them again because they don't work.

And regarding Julyers...Yeah, we've all been there at some point, hehe.

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

MikeTichondrius said:
I actually commend them for sticking with some semblance of a plan. This stage doesn't even bug me that much as I do like the classic alpine climbs. I just wish we'd have something new that wasn't as horribly misused as Chaussy. It's like they set-up stages with new climbs placed in illogical places ("Why, hello Mr. Grand Colombier, I got just the right place for you on an otherwise crap transitional stage") just so they can never try them again because they don't work.
The problem with the Grand Colombier is such that there's no reliable finish that could handle the blood/money-sucking vampire that TdF is. The closest places that could handle the stage are the 2012 finish - Bellegarde-sur-Valserine and maybe the 2012 Dauphine option - Rumilly. I'm not sure if TdF ever hosted a stage start or finish in Rumilly, but it can definitely handle the Dauphine. Maybe Culoz could handle such stage (at least in the Dauphine), there are some parking lots on the Avenue Jean Falconnier. Maybe guys from CIAT & Carrefour could lend their precious space for couple of hours. There is some tiny parking on the Rue de la Roseraie. Maybe it could be big enough.

Grand Colombier is a pretty nice climb with a lot of irregularities, sides and possibilities. The problem is it's very unfortunate location that forces the Colombier to be closer to the middle of the stage than the end of it. I remember that i was shocked when i first hear about it in the TdF. A thight, narrow road in times where TdF is too scared to do a descend on a highway. I'm not lamenting about Spandelles - there's hardly any asphalt to begin with, but i do feel robed of Chaussy.

TRENDING THREADS