• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Now that Contador is stuck with Astana

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
what's the likelyhood now that Astana will get caught in some doping scandal before or during the Tour ? ( Not to suggest Contador is doping; but if you send a good kid to a bad school in a bad neighbourhood there's a good chance there are going to be problems somewhere down the line)

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
what's the likelyhood now that Astana will get caught in some doping scandal before or during the Tour ? ( Not to suggest Contador is doping; but if you send a good kid to a bad school in a bad neighbourhood there's a good chance there are going to be problems somewhere down the line)

Is it a done deal that he's staying?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If pro tour status is not granted to Astana, the Contador, I believe, will certainly not stay. I think he may reasonably have such a clause implied at least in his contract. if he has to stay, then it will help him to achieve humility.:p

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
Is it a done deal that he's staying?

Astana wants to remain a pro team (and are doing the right things to remain one) and Bert is under contract with them. Not a lot that can be done.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
It mught be premature to assume they will get the license, but with the Kazak govt backing the team, I think it would be very difficult not to grant them the license- there would be political repercussions. With all the politics and economics attached there is an increase in the number of influences who will try to corrupt the team- remember this country is deep in what once was russian communist territory- corruption is the way of life...even the financial backers of the Astana team were welching out of their obligations; so they too would have reason to cause the team to collapse prematurely as a way to get out of their agreements; and in the collapse there could be accounting irreglarities to further tempt such an event.

A

Anonymous

Laszlo said:

I "hope" they bust his sorry doping ***.

Laszlo said:
It mught be premature to assume they will get the license, but with the Kazak govt backing the team, I think it would be very difficult not to grant them the license- there would be political repercussions. With all the politics and economics attached there is an increase in the number of influences who will try to corrupt the team- remember this country is deep in what once was russian communist territory- corruption is the way of life...even the financial backers of the Astana team were welching out of their obligations; so they too would have reason to cause the team to collapse prematurely as a way to get out of their agreements; and in the collapse there could be accounting irreglarities to further tempt such an event.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't government been backing them all along? The only non-state controlled sponsors rolled in with JB and crew. That's at least my understanding. So if they've welched before adding more government entities to the list doesn't really give very good assurances. At least not to me.

A

Anonymous

Riley Martin said:
I "hope" they bust his sorry doping ***.

my thoughts exactly..

why do i think contador is doping... erm.. hes spanish, they have a pretty extensive doping policy that seems to be ignored in fact, protected by the spanish government... peurto... and then considering astanas history its hardly the most convincing team for him to be at.. worked under JB who most beleive is the devil re-incarnated... and his performance.. if ricco, rasmusson or even armstrong dominated the way AC does nobody would even ask if he was clean...

I think hes the biggest dope in the sport, and at least armstrong is just arrogant.. AC is greasy and smarmy with it... talk about butter wouldnt melt..

the guy actually makes me feel physically sick when i see him.. like someone has made me swallow a kilo of grease..

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope AC doesn't get caught till LA does. If Lance beat Cadel and Andy to win the tour cuz AC was caught doping I would quit watching pro cycling forever.

I think I hate LA just for being LA. I need to hate some one and hes an easy target. There wouldn't even be an argument in all the LA fanboys minds if he some how manage to pull off a win at the tour.

dimspace said:
my thoughts exactly..

why do i think contador is doping... erm.. hes spanish, they have a pretty extensive doping policy that seems to be ignored in fact, protected by the spanish government... peurto... and then considering astanas history its hardly the most convincing team for him to be at.. worked under JB who most beleive is the devil re-incarnated... and his performance.. if ricco, rasmusson or even armstrong dominated the way AC does nobody would even ask if he was clean...

I think hes the biggest dope in the sport, and at least armstrong is just arrogant.. AC is greasy and smarmy with it... talk about butter wouldnt melt..

the guy actually makes me feel physically sick when i see him.. like someone has made me swallow a kilo of grease..

:rolleyes: ........

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Astana will be a STRONG Team

Dudes - have you looked at how the 2010 the Astana Team is shaping up?

They are going to be a REALLY strong Team!

Big deal - they lost Lancie and Bruyneel. Why would you worry about them getting busted for doping in 2010 lol!

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Dudes - have you looked at how the 2010 the Astana Team is shaping up?

They are going to be a REALLY strong Team!

I think Contador showed he doesn't really need teammates last July, the strength of the team is a very minor concern.

Andrichuk said:
I hope AC doesn't get caught till LA does. If Lance beat Cadel and Andy to win the tour cuz AC was caught doping I would quit watching pro cycling forever.

I think I hate LA just for being LA. I need to hate some one and hes an easy target. There wouldn't even be an argument in all the LA fanboys minds if he some how manage to pull off a win at the tour.

If every other guy on the tour was either busted for doping or crashed out of the race and Armstrong was the only finisher.....his fanboy nation would still talk about how his superiour training and preparation won the race for him, and how awesome he was to have won his 8th at his age.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Astana wants to remain a pro team (and are doing the right things to remain one) and Bert is under contract with them. Not a lot that can be done.
What's to prevent UCI from essentially manufacturing a reason to revoke Astana's ProTour license? As far as I can tell, UCI doesn't really consider itself answerable to any other body, so why wouldn't they do whatever they think is in the best interests of the sport? Clearly, they don't like Vino, and I would be very surprised if they accepted any assurances from Astana that he wouldn't be influencing and manipulating things behind the scenes. Similarly, there's no reason for them to accept any assurances about the required financial payments. Assuming they know the terms of Contador's contract (a pretty safe bet), and further assuming that the terms give Contador an out if the license is revoked, I think they will probably exercise their considerable discretion and revoke it in order to allow arguably the sport's greatest star to go to another strong team (unless they think he is dirty). I just don't see the UCI doing any favors for a troubled team like Astana, regardless of how hard the backers try to satisfy all of the technical requirements for a license.

Well, back to the OP ...

He seems to have dodged a number of bullets so far. But quite a number of Armstrong's ex-teammates have been popped, so it would not be a surprise. And Vino seems to have this touch when it comes to helping people not win the TdF :eek:

BTW - anyone have an opinion that it is actually a bit funny that Contadip is having such team issues, given that I am pretty sure he signed with Astana?
:D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Well, back to the OP ...

He seems to have dodged a number of bullets so far. But quite a number of Armstrong's ex-teammates have been popped, so it would not be a surprise. And Vino seems to have this touch when it comes to helping people not win the TdF :eek:

BTW - anyone have an opinion that it is actually a bit funny that Contadip is having such team issues, given that I am pretty sure he signed with Astana?
:D

My you're very clever with names, Contadip, Pharmstrong. You're killing me.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Andrichuk said:

Why do people make such rash statements? Do they really mean it or is this just a threat to bad behavior if the world does not give them what they want? Similar statements were made by a lot of Hollywood types in 2000 when Bush II won his first term (of course we will probably get to hear that it was a Supreme Court Appointment).

If you enjoy watching cycling why would you stop just because someone you detested won, especially when it is doubtful that individual will be racing in a couple of years?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
We should start a rider nickname thread.

Pharmstrong is old. I'm not a big fan of contradip but quite like Contradope or Dopador. A personal favourite of mine is Levi Dopeheimer though i'm not sure if he's dirty.

TRENDING THREADS